UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

Which one?
Write 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
Study 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: Write or study?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:42 pm 
Master
Master

UESPoints: 0
I'm finishing my Bachelor's degree this year, and I want to continue postgraduate studies in either Theory of Literature or English Studies (I love both).
However, I also want to establish a writing career, which will have to start off in my spare time since I really want to eat and have somewhere to live.

Here's my problem. I need to find a full-time job for next year, so I won't be able to do the two at the same time. My question is, what are your thoughts on this? Which one would you choose, why, and what are your other suggestions on the topic? I'm gathering all the opinions I can before making a decision.

Post subject: Re: Write or study?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:53 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games:
Platform:
Studying is important.might as well finish it early so you can have a head start on your writing without having to interrupt it in between because of your studying
but writing is something which you have to be brilliant at to make a very successful career.so writing earlier would be better
overall i say finish your postgraduate first

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:51 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Writing, if it's what you truly love. I'm going to college this fall for a minor in Professional Writing, and I love it in general, so it would be my pick. Also, I'd think you be more likely to land a position with writing than with English Studies, so on the financial side I see it as better. But do whatever your heart tells you to do, because they're both lead excellent career paths.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:10 pm 
Master
Master

Thanks for the responses, I was rather hoping for a few more, but I'm happy that at least two people replied. I guess I still need some time to consider, since there really are advantages and disadvantages to both, and I've gone back and forth between the two at least three times this week. I love my studying, but I don't really think it will improve my writing that much, and writing remains my choice of career. However, further studying can open up academic career opportunities that may also be useful, plus I would like to know that I have the best education I have :? So yeah, still a lot to cinsider.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:27 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Is there no way to do both?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:46 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games:
Platform:
I think this is the kind of decision that an internet forum is likely to give you the wrong advice over. At least not without more details, of course.

Speaking from someone who would like to write, but never seems to get around to it, I would say you either need to pursue that or not pursue that, and not try to keep one foot in. If it's what you love and you're prepared to go for it, then do it. If not, study.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:59 am 
Warder
Warder

Why not get a job that allows you to write and still study?

EDIT: Damnit Cactus!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:55 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:11 am 
Master
Master

ES Games:
Platform:
I agree,you shouldn't let your decision rest with a bunch of bored 14-20 year olds who have no professional experience whatsoever

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:05 pm 
Master
Master

Relax, I'm just getting opinions, it's not like I'm going to make a decision based purely on the opinions here, I'm just trying to get some opinions.

Cactus and DL: the only way I'd be able to do that is if I get a half-fay job which pays quite a lot (I need to move out of my parents' house by the end of the year). I looked for one from the end of last year, but it ended in a bunch of failed interviews in which I tried to convince people to let me look after their kids (it went miserably. Plus I realised that I really don't like kids.), applying for a few admin or receptionist jobs where I'm competing with moms who need to earn some money, and finally, me asking my old boss for my tutoring job back. So no, I really can't do both, which sort of really sucks since that'd be perfect.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:18 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games:
Platform:
UESPoints: 500
I would go for the full-time job and write in my free time (when you have vacation, before/after work). Writing is more risky and you need a good job if you want to buy a house, have kids, go on vacation etc.

If your first book turns out to be a success, you can always quit and write more.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:12 pm 
Warder
Warder

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]