Oblivion Map Help
- How do I use the map?
- The map works just like Google Maps except the Oblivion map and locations are displayed instead of Earth's.
Some common map operations are:
- Zoom In/Out -- Use the slider control in the upper left corner of the map.
- Pan -- Use the arrow buttons in the upper left corner of the map or 'drag' the map by left-clicking and dragging the mouse in the map area.
You can also use the mini overview map in the lower right corner by clicking or dragging the blue map area.
- Center to a Location -- Double-click the location in the map.
- Reset -- You can reset the map by clicking in the center of the map control in the upper left or by using the 'Reset Map' link in the upper right of the page.
- How do I find locations?
- By default the map shows only certain locations depending on how far you are zoomed in. It will only show all known locations when you are at the highest
zoom level. You can also search for specific locations by entering the text in the search box at the top of the screen and pressing Enter or clicking the
search button. Search results will be displayed on the left side of the screen. Click a search result to jump to that location at the current zoom level.
The 'zoomto' link can also be used to jump to a location at an increased zoom level (one less than the maximum). The search results can be cleared by
performing a search with no text or by using the 'Reset Search' button in the upper right of the page.
- How do I get a permanent link to a location?
- Use the 'Link to this Location' in the upper right of the page which will set the page address to the appropriate value. You can then copy the address to
link to the map later.
- Location Icon Types
- The location icons are generally the same as those used in Oblivion.
- -- General
- -- Camp
- -- Cave
- -- City
- -- Elven Ruin
- -- Fort Ruin
- -- Mine
- -- Landmark
- -- Tavern/Stable
- -- Settlement
- -- Daedric Shrine
- -- Oblivion Gate
- Requirements and Tested Browsers
If you experience problems with a particular browser or operating system just Let Me Know.
- Firebox 1.5.0 (assumably recent previous versions will work as well)
- Internet Explorer 6.0.26
- Opera 9.01
- Goggle Maps works with most Modern Browsers.
- Interesting Statistics
- Locations -- About 1000 as exported from Oblivion.esm
- Map Data -- Some 23,000 images, 256x256 pixels in size, totaling close to 400 MB.
- Contacting the Author
- Feel free to Send Me any comments, suggestions, or bug reports on the map.
- How does it work?
- The map just uses the freely available Google Maps API using map data exported from Oblivion's Construction Set. For more information on the design and
implementation of the map can be found on the Oblivion Map Design page on the UESP.