UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Spells: Buying, Using and Making Discussion help appreciated
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:43 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: all
Platform: pc
UESPoints: 0
So finally getting around to playing Arena as Battlemage but found the magic system obscure and perhaps full of pitfalls. First play attempt at spell maker was very discouraging. Made a spell reflection (back at caster) for 2500 gold but casting cost was 250, certainly not very usuable. Bought some generic spells but even some of them drained me when used early in the game (would use restore power potion or rest afterwards). I kept track of how the cast price would go down with level, for example Light bought at character level 4 started at 30SP, then as I gained levels (5 thru 9) it went down 30-24-20-17-15-13, so reasonable now. Other spells do the same.

The puzzle/question i have is that 'when, at what level the character is', very much determines when the cost will start depreciating. So all this talk about Level of spell, damage increase per level is not retroactive??? Spells do not seem to display how much damaged caused or how long they last so I cannot tell if fire dart has retroactively gained 3-4 points of damage for all the levels prior to bought or if the clock on levels increase damage starts as soon as bought. Same for chance of success on some percentage spells, am i starting at 15% plus past levels or what?

This kind of made me restart the game, buy as many spells as possible early to get the cost down, used spell maker a couple of times, have that reflection spell down to 111SP after 4 leveling ups.

What is formula for decreasing spell cost? Since I haven't even seen the God's Fire or Purify spell in a magic guild, i cannot imagine how their cost can come down so late in the game. :?: