Switch to full style
A place for discussions and questions specifically about the UESP forums.
Post a reply

Re: Forum Competitions, Gatherings, and Ideas

Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:48 pm

I'm hoping so, although that will require us to put a bit more work in the Skyversary.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:16 am

CotM idea: Design a quest! Either for vanilla Skyrim, to add to one of the DLCs, or for some mod (real or imagined), doesn't matter, as long as you specify where this quest would fit in.

Your quest can involve new or existing NPCs, new or existing locations, and new or existing items (notice a pattern?). For anything new, you'd need to give a detailed description of what it's like. Also, explain what the happens at each stage of the quest, including NPC actions, enemies, what the player has to do, and all dialog.

Other details: Are there quests the player would have to do first? Factions they would have to be part of? Are there ways the player can fail the quest? Choices they have to make with permanent repercussions?

As long as people understand exactly how the quest would work, you can write it out however you like. If you want to, you can add sketches, maps, diagrams, recordings, or anything else that helps get the idea across for how the quest would work. But, none of those extras are needed, and it won't count against you to not have them.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:22 am

That's a great idea, Deandra! The winner could possibly have his or her quest made by one of our modding teams!

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:05 am

While I don't necessarily hate the idea, writing contents always make me think of school :(
Last edited by Stormborn on Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:27 am

Well, I'm certainly not volunteering to create any mods for a CotM. I meant for my idea to be more of a writing contest where people can design some new hypothetical game content, because I see it as a way to encourage creative thinking, and I wouldn't want players' choice of platform to be an issue.

Mon May 20, 2013 12:22 am

Here are a few ideas to add to the mix...
  1. A stickied or announcement post that contains a list of all previous CotM events, detailing what the event was and who won them.
  2. Nek Minnit: similar to this month's "Caption That" event, but where competitors have to come up with something funny, either as written or image content, for what may happen in-game after the event captured in the competition's screen capture.
  3. Following on from Deandra's "Design a quest" idea, how about a "Create a new NPC" competition. Instead of the forum game meme where people fill in a questionnaire about themselves, this would have them answer standard questions about their new NPC.
  4. Making MonkeyTruth: a competition to see who can come up with the best non-canonical "lore". The Temple Zero Society defines MonkeyTruth as "a story so good it should have been included in the game." It doesn't have to be long or involved, just make it sound as if it were meant to be in the game. See, for example, my explanation of Gaer.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:59 pm

Those are all great ideas! Idea number one is easily done, and we could create a "CotM Hall of Fame" in the forum archives that includes a link to all the previous CotMs. I'll get on that. :D

For the time being, however, you can find old CotM events in The Arts subforum!

Edit: I decided to create a "Hall of Fame" thread in the Announcements subforum; you can check out all of our adventures (and misadventures) with the CotM right over here. Thanks for the great idea!

Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:39 am

We should have a writing competition soon. I'm not suggesting this because i would stand a chance of winning but because we do have a fair amount of people who love to write and it would be very eager to see what they could come up with. Prehaps a short TES related story about anything with a few restrictions. The restrictions would be no copying and pasting existing stories that you have already done, Dohvakiin could be tasked with enforcing it as it would not be fair on the others. No stealing existing stories or modifying them slightly and it must be original. Just things to make it fair.

We could have an art competition but Uno would win it without even trying. :shock: A Sweetroll making competition and users just post an image or video of the finished result. A TES video comp? Design a new forum rank to replace an existing one? I've got loads of ideas but going to suggest them at a later day.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:33 pm

How about an ad? Or just any kind of marketing/advertisement material? You know, like a "Summer Sale at Riverwood Trader" leaflet, or a "lost dog" flyer, or a recruitment poster for the Companions. This way both people who are into art and people who can write funny stuff can participate, because the entries can focus either on the visual side or on the written content.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:27 am

That's actually a great idea, dzio, and an easy competition to set up!

Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:27 pm

Competition of the Month: AKB Edition

Make it happen.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:37 pm

AKB, you're already mentioned in the title of the UESP Steam group. Let's not get greedy, now. ;)

Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:28 am

Cam Edition?

Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:30 am

We want entries to be good, so...

Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:33 am

I'm better than anything you know, babe. </3

Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:45 am

AKB vs. Cam Edition? All the submissions will be posts arguing about who is better, in whatever manner they please (haiku, video, drawing, comic, argument, whatever you want). Cam and I will serve as judges, with us determining the winner. We are both eligible to participate in the competition, as well.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:54 am

I like this idea. But replace AKB with me.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:52 am

You guys are cute, but stop spammin' in my thread before I drag you out of here. :lol:

Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:44 pm

Well the idea does have some merit. We could make an effort to resurrect the UESP canon as a competition.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:27 pm

The idea of the CotM is to primarily offer an opportunity for everyone to get involved, even if they've only ever posted and read just one of our subforums and don't know much about the inside culture. I wouldn't want to close anyone out. But I'll keep it on the back burner for a potential fun and less-serious little contest. :)

Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:03 am

Cool idea, I like the way you handle this.

Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:36 pm

For the January one, we could have a comp about how celebrating the new year in Tamriel? Such as stories, videos, pictures and so forth. Or a UESP one.

For febuary, something that is themed around the last month of winter.

But seeing as it's christmas soon, we could have a Christmas in Tamriel one. Or the TES version of it. From stories to songs to even cake baking, anything could be used as an entry. Provided it's SFW. And a UESP christmas themed one. From stories to songs, just the usual stuff.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:25 pm

As you might have noticed, I've been trying to give out prizes with the recent COTMs. While I already know what the next few prizes are going to be, I do want to ask you all, what do YOU want? I have been sticking to digital content, as giving away physical gifts would be much harder, but I want to hear what you guys think would be appropriate, prize wise.

Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:50 pm

AKB wrote:As you might have noticed, I've been trying to give out prizes with the recent COTMs. While I already know what the next few prizes are going to be, I do want to ask you all, what do YOU want? I have been sticking to digital content, as giving away physical gifts would be much harder, but I want to hear what you guys think would be appropriate, prize wise.

Not-Steam games or prizes. Not everyone here has Steam, so not everyone can even get those. I'm not entirely sure of an affordable alternative though, so eh.

Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:29 am

I won an amazon gift code once in a COTM. That was nice.
Post a reply