UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Choose your gender!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:32 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Online
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 0
I'm just going to come out and say it: that's not important. For the purposes of this place, you are either a he, or a she. If you want to debate semantics, or even biology, find another forum, because this is not the place.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:36 pm 
Warder
Warder

Certainly, that's a little sidetrack. But the fact remains, if you're going to have this feature you should at the very least get the terminology right.

Gender and sex is often a large part of peoples' identities so one should always tread carefully around it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:37 pm 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Oblivion
Platform: Xbox
The Tom wrote:
I'm just going to come out and say it: that's not important.

You missed the part where you come out and justify it. Cherry picking the evidence without even pretending you're not is such... I don't even have a word for it, or much of a comment on it. If I did something remotely like this, I would resign from my position as the moderator of two forums in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:39 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Online
Ah, well, I think we've encountered a problem with wording here. I didn't entitle the field 'sex' because when I was talking to a certain unnamed person the other day about a similar thing they had no idea what I meant by the word sex in that context and got very confused. Since English is not everyone's first language, I decided that perhaps an alternative word choice would be in order. I absolutely promise that there is nothing else meant by it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:42 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: All of them!
UESPoints: 5
Stereotype, that is a little unnecessary to call for resignations. There is no need to be heated about this. Believe me, we value the ideas, but please, let's not overlook my post here.

Avron the S'wit wrote:
T, you raise a good point. Since English only has two gender pronouns - she and he - (and will never gain a third - pronouns are considered a closed family group and will take many, many, many decades of linguistic change to be reintroduced [/professional opinion]) and since this site is conducted in English, the completely optional gender field is, technically, fine as it is. If you don't think you can decide, please leave it blank, for simplicity's sake.

For argument's sake, for the time being, why don't we see how it works with these two options for now, and let's reopen it for debate in the future. Meanwhile, maybe we can have a thread on gender in the General Banter subforum so we can discuss this civilly and educate people on gender stereotypes and norms, which will help our future decisions. Yes?

So, please, let's not continue this debate in this thread, or I will lock it. Thank you! <3

"[...] for the lives of gods are not what mortals think and matters that weigh only years to mortals weigh on gods forever."
The Tribunal Temple, Nerevar at Red Mountain

Find the S'wit:
ESO PC-NA: @Avron | Legends: nosoundcomes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:46 pm 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Oblivion
Platform: Xbox
Avron the S'wit wrote:
Stereotype, that is a little unnecessary to call for resignations. There is no need to be heated about this. Believe me, we value the ideas, but please, let's not overlook my post here.

I'm not calling for anyone's resignation. I'm trying to express my feelings about cherry-picking evidence without flaming anyone. I'm also not being heated about this, seeing as how that whole autistic thing renders me borderline emotionless. It's simply how I sound, and I can't really change that deliberately.

I'll cease the debate as requested, but I think we've already seen how it works.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:29 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Join the discussion on gender norms, stereotypes, and linguistic features here, courtesy of Veck - just remember to be polite and courteous about your opinion. Our goal is to educate and understand everyone's opinions and background, even if they are different from your own! :D

"[...] for the lives of gods are not what mortals think and matters that weigh only years to mortals weigh on gods forever."

Find the S'wit:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:31 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY
I find it hilarious that even tiny changes like this make people kick up a fuss... another reason why I think people today just argue for the sake of arguing.

If you have an inny you are a girl, if you have an outy you are a boy. The whole girl/boy trapped in the opposite sexes body is irrelevant, that's emotional not physical. Those who are both... leave it blank, it's not exactly important for a box to be ticked anyway and you don't cater for every person on the bloody planet. Those who have had a gender change should pick the one they switched to...

That was difficult wasn't it? No, no it wasn't.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:09 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Daggerfall, Oblivion, Shivering Isles, Skyrim
Not only are you wrong Dean, because chromosomes dictate gender (which you were also frankly crass about btw), this is a big deal to a lot of people. So, unless it applies to you, you really shouldn't talk about it.

Founding member of the Weasel Forums Universe

Post subject: STOP! YOU'VE VIOLATED THE LAW.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:10 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I said don't argue about it here and take it to the thread. Good heavens.

Also, no one is "wrong" or "right." That's why we're discussing it politely. Please be considerate to the fact that not everyone sees the world the way you do!

Find the S'wit:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4