UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Forum Clubs, Groups and Factions
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:03 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
UESPoints: 5
Hi all,

I'd like to get a little community discussion going on the topic of clubs, in an organised manner. Of-course forum groups pre0date me, but I guess I've been fairly active in them and have made my own, starting what has sort of become a trend in the Morrowind Forum.

I believe a distinction needs to be made between clubs, groups and factions so here is my understanding:

Clubs: General groups about non-TES related things. Nothing wrong with them, but they're not really active and they are more list and sig type things.

Factions: These are the group I've been predominately involved in, like House Hlaalu. I'm aiming for a different type of 'group' here. One that is TES related and aims at being active and dynamic, rather than list and sig.

I believe there is a place for both types of groups, but I have seen that there is a bit of Forum Group distrust and/or dislike amongst some users, and I think that it would be good to know why, and possibly make the groups friendlier to those users too. I'm aware they're sort of a new phenomenon and as far as I'm concerned, the best way create understanding and acceptance is to welcome people in and let them see what you're all about.

So I'd like some comments on what people want from clubs and factions, what people don't like about them, and what people actually believe the terms to mean.

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

Post subject: Re: Forum Clubs, Groups and Factions
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:52 am 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Morrowind (not really), Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim
Platform: Too many to list here.
UESPoints: 0
As far as I can tell, it's just stuff you put in your signature.

Well, except for the (kind of annoying) colored posts movement.

Spoiler:
The Muddy Swampert of the Poké-Squad.
The Smart Guy of the Troper Team.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:29 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 7
I think their topics are filled with silly posts, the sigs are too distracting and it's just a crutch for people to try and fit in.

I'm not bothered by them, but I'd prefer that they weren't cluttering up forums and signatures.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:37 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Morrowind (not really), Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim
Platform: Too many to list here.
Malpais Legate wrote:
I think their topics are filled with silly posts, the sigs are too distracting and it's just a crutch for people to try and fit in.

I'm not bothered by them, but I'd prefer that they weren't cluttering up forums and signatures.

There's an option to disable showing people's signatures.

Spoiler:
The Muddy Swampert of the Poké-Squad.
The Smart Guy of the Troper Team.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:04 pm 
Goatmom/Moderator
Goatmom/Moderator

UESPoints: 88
videogmer314 wrote:
Malpais Legate wrote:

There's an option to disable showing people's signatures.

But other people's signatures may be interresting. That's why I got rid my old one.

On company time

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:07 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Oblivion, Morriwind
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
I am going to have to clean mine. Too many clubs. :x

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:54 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I put my clubs in a spoiler tag, not because anyone asked me to, but because I felt that people shouldn't have to turn off signatures (some are darn good) because I like joining clubs. My House is there to stay though, I keep it out on the off-chance someone hasn't ever hit the spoiler tag, but may like to join the Telvanni. Unlike my Archmagister..... *leers*

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:28 am 
Undecided
Undecided

ES Games: Oblivion (SI); Skyrim (DB)
Platform: Steam, XBox
Other Profiles: DarkSpark135
I belong to no club.

I do not support any faction.

And, as you very well know, this means I have conveyed absolutely no sort of personality whatsoever...

Casandra: At the moment, the deadliest weapon at my disposal is a goblin's head on a stick. I'd be worried if this was the plan.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:52 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: All of them!
Platform: PC
Without being so blunt as Dark Spark, let me give you my opinion as a member, and not a moderator:

I have nothing wrong with clubs, groups, or factions, if they serve a purpose for a shared interest. When you think about it, that is really what this forum is - a place where we, all TES fans, can come and talk about a shared interest that we have. That's how humans work, so that is not where I have any issues. I am not so into clubs where you are calling yourself a beverage, for instance, because they really don't have a purpose other than serving the "Let's belong to something!" mentality of younger members (which is fine; we all go through it, and it isn't necessarily bad); on the otherhand, I would like a place to talk about my eternal and undying love for Morrowind's House Redoran, but I find myself disgruntled when I ask what everyone likes about it and get only one response answering my question, and a bunch going "Won't you join? Won't you join?" It's not about belonging to me. I am already a member of this forum, and I enjoy it, and that makes me happy. I do not need to be a member of subthings within this forum to feel like I belong. :wink:

That isn't to say they are not good ideas, if used in a constructive way. I think we are just having issues finding what is constructive as opposed to "posting for the sake of posting," which you all know we are not quite fans of here at UESP.

From the moderator point of view: Silly topics make a lot of work for us. I only just recently had the pleasure of posting outside of the General Discussion subforums about something that was actually TES related. I don't like having to concentrate on explaining the rules to people when I expect you to know them already. We are addressing how to make them easier for everyone to understand. As for the culture of this place, you must discover that for yourself.

"[...] for the lives of gods are not what mortals think and matters that weigh only years to mortals weigh on gods forever."
The Tribunal Temple, Nerevar at Red Mountain

Find the S'wit:
ESO PC-NA: @Avron | Legends: nosoundcomes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:17 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

As far as what you've said Avron, I see what you mean.

I see my fellow new-users as very friendly and fun people. I'm sure we'll all find a happy medium between old and new eventually, but I know nobody intends on being a pain. I myself love a good Morrowind talk, but people are just trying too be friendly and warm when they invite you in. I don't think it's all about needing to belong, more wanting to make others feel special and to share happy Elder Scrolls memories that I know we all have.

Keeping what you've said in mind, I'll speak to other key members and try and re-iterate the importance of keeping random chit-chat to a minimum. I'm here to help out after all. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:09 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim
Platform: PC desktop
I have supported the founding of House Clubs, and I've even done it in a highly personal way with all Clubs concerning Morrowind. The idea is NOT to create hate mongers that are against others; the idea is to improve the knowledge of specific Houses, increase the certain character they have inbound and... that way enrich UESP - together with the Modders Guild, founded by my initiative, as well as the third try to create a mod registry, founded by Blackfire and strongly supported by me, I see us as striving for a new dimension, where different specialized groups work together for something more.

About "Beverage Club" I have nothing much to say. Nonsense is nonsense, period. If you want to have a Knickers Club, don't expect my support. I joined this Forum because of Morrowind, and I still understand it is ... Elder Scrolls Pages. Other stuff can get place too, but the main line remains.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:58 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I'd just like to take any input that users might have into how clubs are handled. Obviously I'm not in charge, but I am committed to making any club to my name as proactive, productive and positive as possible.

Here's where the Great Houses stand at present:

The House Threads are the home of House related discussion, here survey responses are posted, announcements are made and discussion about the House takes place. From now, there will also be weekly/fortnightly discussion topics based around issues pertaining to the House, ranging from the influence of the Cammona Tong on House Hlaalu to the intricacies of House Dagoth's relationship with the other Houses.

The Houses are also involved in a Roleplay set in 4th Era Morrwind, and many efforts have been made to build established lore into the process. Roleplays are something that the Houses aim to continue to run, as a fun activity for members.

There are also other future plans for the Houses, as per discussions with the mod team, and which will become apparent as the time is right.

So my real question is, is there anything you'd like to see? Is there a suggestion you can make to see that the Houses stay productive and enjoyable for all?

As always, feel free to PM em, and all your input is much appreciated.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]