A place for discussions and questions specifically about the UESP forums.
Topic locked

Re: If I were a Moderator?

Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:39 am

Well, some of the censored words are just silly to have and can sometimes restrict the words you use.

Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:32 am

Yeah I get that bit, but the word penis isn't censored for me :?

Scratch that, I see what you did with the italics :lol:

Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:24 pm

Indeed :P

Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:30 pm

The censor has been somewhat censored while I've been a moderator, but what about giving ideas in the "Forum proposals and questions" thread? I can't promise you anything, but there is a channel opened for discussion. Believe it or not, all proposals and ideas are considered.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:27 pm

If I were a moderator I would not lock a thread based on a solved problem.

I was going over some threads in the Tech Desk and saw a thread created by mars on how to command a program to be run in fullscreen. Now it isn't the fact that the problem got solved that "annoys" me, I'm only glad that mars got his problem solved, but that the thread had been locked due to sucession in fixing the problem. To avoid more threads with the same problem as topic I'd not necessarily lock a thread - if it hadn't been locked and people still were able to post comments in order to try to help the person it would perhaps help others in the future with a problem like it. It isn't because I have any genious anwer myself only the obvious "run as admin" (which is funny when I mentioned it in this thread, because this thread is about "running the UESP forum as an admin lol) and stuff like that.
Anyway. What I am really trying to say is that a thread perhaps shouldn't be locked just because a problem has been solved.
Last edited by the Savage Hippie on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:32 pm

Your point is a fair one. However you may have noticed that I actually requested that the topic be locked as I often do when an issue I had has been resolved :P
This is happening because if there was a problem the only thing that actually matters is the solution. If the solution is present in the thread then it can be locked in order to avoid cluttering posts that serve no purpose while still serving as a topic in which people can find a solution should they have the same problem. I hope this made sense because I didn't think over what I was saying.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:03 pm

I agree with you the Savage Hippie, and mars too. Even if it was me who locked the topic, I generally think that we should try to build all kinds of FAQ and database topics, enabling people to find answers in a simpler way than by making a new topic - in so very many cases these topics are a repetition of what has earlier been dealt with, and I've personally spent hours and hours to give the same answers I've given earlier --- ok, I might have a better archive myself, must admit...

ANY IDEAS of how to get the vast information amount our membership has, and to get it collected in a proper manner, are welcome.

"Not to lock" is however not the answer. Having a zillion open threads doesn't serve anyone, because it takes a lot of time to go through them --- and people will start a new topic.

Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:08 pm

the Savage Hippie wrote:If I were a moderator I would not lock a thread based on a solved problem. ...

Especially if the person was given bad advice.

There was a question in the Tech forum about a console player trying to photograph the screen. There were replies about tripods and fast shutter speeds, and the poster declared themselves satisfied and the thread was locked before I had a chance to barge in with some proper pointers on photographing an old fashioned tube-type TV screen.

Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:13 pm

My current policy is to lock thread 2-4 weeks after they've been 'solved' to allow people with other advice a chance to input, and to allow the OP to come back to the thread if they need more help in the same area.

Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:20 am

Locked threads can be unlocked if requested. Just PM a moderator, perhaps preferably the one who locked it. The only true hindrance is that there is a real reason not to unlock.

Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:15 pm

The only real reason to lock would be if a thread got derailed into an argument or senseless spamfest. Even then, a good clean and unlock could fix the situation.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:39 pm

If I were a mod, I would purge this place of ponies....jus' saying.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:43 pm

Lol you just mad 'cause I'm stylin' on you ... no, come on, the whole pony thing is a bit of harmless fun. I don't let it get in the way of what I came here for in the first place and what I have to do now I'm here, and as soon as it does, you bloody well let me know.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:14 pm

If I were a moderator. Hmmm...

...I would moderate. Right?

And not post so often.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:36 pm

SPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMM AND TROOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No I wouldnt be resposible,lock threads that didnt need to be locked and abuse the ban hammer when not needed.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:02 pm

This is not to bring you down Andere nor to be a grammar nazi, but here we go if I WAS a moderator I'd change the name of this thread :p

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:14 pm

Actually this thread's title is entirely correct. It's a subjunctive.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:20 pm

The Tom wrote:Actually this thread's title is entirely correct. It's a subjunctive.

Damn! I knew there was some rule I didn't know of. Well, then I wouldn't change it.
Last edited by the Savage Hippie on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:21 pm

I'd go grammar nazi.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:34 am

Morrovion wrote:If I were a moderator. Hmmm...

...I would moderate. Right?

And not post so often.

I can assure you, that has happened. 8)

Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:26 pm

Just to prove my point: This problem has been solved and as you can see the author born2beagator is requesting that a moderator locks the thread. The problem has been solved by the person dealing with it, but! There is one they fear! In their tongue the thread contains no replies, so people with the same problem will not know the answer to his/her problem and will have to create a new thread exactly like this one.

If the thread was kept open and users could still reply and answers to how the problem can be solved would be avaiable to people having the same problem.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:02 pm

If I was a Mod........ the first thing i would do is change my avatar to.... this
Spoiler:

but, if I was a tea party mod I'd keep my current avatar

Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:06 pm

the Savage Hippie wrote:Just to prove my point: This problem has been solved and as you can see the author born2beagator is requesting that a moderator locks the thread. The problem has been solved by the person dealing with it, but! There is one they fear! In their tongue the thread contains no replies, so people with the same problem will not know the answer to his/her problem and will have to create a new thread exactly like this one.

If the thread was kept open and users could still reply and answers to how the problem can be solved would be avaiable to people having the same problem.

The thread is still open, and I have no knowledge that it ever was locked. I made a reply there, but since the author has requested it to be closed, we really have to honor that wish.

One of the main problems in problem solving is, people don't come back and share how they solved it - like I've noticed at least once, We only get the problems!

I've participated in / ignited mod databases, FAQs, and many efforts to create something that would make it easier for people to
A. get help
B. help.

Not that easy, though. I also started this topic, and the topic "Forum proposals and questions" so as to make it possible to create communication between those who want and those who may make it possible; and although no major volcanoes have erupted, I think the path is right. I thank everyone who has replied here, I hope it continues and, always remember there are no stupid questions or suggestions. 8)
Topic locked