UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Should the mod team aspire to have a good rapport with the community?
Yes 71%  71%  [ 10 ]
No 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject: Responsibilities of moderators
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:46 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 0
The events of the past month (especially, but not exclusively) have led me to suspect that that there may be some confusion surrounding the powers, duties and responsibilities of the moderators. I had a look around before deciding to post this topic, and it seems that while we have a clear, visible set of rules for regular users, no such information exists on the duties and responsibilities of the moderators. The Forum Rules topic does contain a section regarding moderators, but this reads to me as information about moderators, aimed at regular users. What seems to be missing is a topic that is instead aimed at moderators, outlining their duties and responsibilities as a moderator. I feel that this information should be created and made available to regular users, as it would serve to clear up any confusion surrounding the role of a moderator, and help align the community's expectations with each moderator's own perception of their duties and responsibilities.

These will mostly be simple things like how much time a mod is expected to spend on the forum each day, how quickly they're expected to reply to PMs, what issues users are able to contact them with, what each moderator rank means (including the "Mod On Leave" rank), how and how quickly moderators are expected to handle various issues, behavioural expectations etc. I suspect that most users agree on most of these issues and so there are only a couple of points that I feel the need to raise for discussion.

While I have used the term "rules," I have no interest in proposing any kind of disciplinary system to deal with the moderators who do not follow them. I am happy for the current mods to deal with this issue however they see fit, but my own vision is for these "rules" to function more like aspirations, rather than strict laws that need to be enforced.

One responsibility that I would like to see included is the responsibility of the mod team to build and maintain a strong rapport with the community. This is, in fact, the issue that led me to post this topic in the first place. It is quite clear that the mod team does not have a strong rapport with certain members/groups of members, however there seems to be some confusion as to whether or not the mod team sees this as a problem worth addressing. The lack of clarity on this issue, I believe, is central to some of the problems currently facing these forums, and so I think that this is something that needs to be discussed and eventually resolved. If it is decided that building and maintaining a strong rapport with the community is not the mod team's responsibility, then users can stop expecting it. If it is decided to be the mod team's responsibility, then it will be clear to them that they should be working on it.

While discussing this topic one time in the chat, the idea that some users might be "impossible" to build a rapport with was raised. It must be acknowledged that certain users will be harder to build a rapport with than others, but the idea that any of us deserves to be labelled "impossible" is something that I personally disagree with, and applying that label to a group of users, I think, is just being lazy. If you talk to a social worker about rapport building, they'll speak about building rapport with all sorts of extraordinarily difficult people - and they haven't necessarily been trained to do so. It silly to imply that it's even more difficult here on these forums. I can imagine the mods being somewhat uncomfortable with that idea, but that's kinda the point.

I also want to touch on the idea of this being a "two way" thing - suggesting that it's the users' responsibility as well. I disagree. It might be in our interest, but it certainly shouldn't be our responsibility. It would be like suggesting that it's a customer's responsibility to build rapport with a salesman, a child's responsibility to build rapport with their teacher, a patient's responsibility to build rapport with their doctor etc. In each case, it's likely in their interest, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it ridiculous to suggest that it's their responsibility. If you think it should, then I suppose it should be added to the forum rules, but I confess that I'd be embarrassed to see it there. Making rapport building the responsibility of the moderators would be in line with pretty much every other industry. I can't see any justification for an exception.

I swear I had one more point, but I seem to have forgotten it. Oh well - I guess I'll post it later.

I have made a poll so that we can get some kind of consensus concerning rapport building specifically. Feel free to PM me if you feel like none of the options represents your view. I might add some extra options. You can always change your vote.

Last edited by Moeboid on Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Responsibilities of moderators
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:06 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: TES IV,V
Platform: Xbox 360
I think the act of not building rapport with members should be a moderator's responsibility. Mods tend not to reprimand users they've built rapport with. They become biased in decision making.

However, given the nature of the moderating system on this forum(mods are users too, just like you and me, blah blah blah), this isn't possible. Forcing a connection with another user is weird to me. Users are going to like other users more than usual. All you can really ask is that the moderators think extra hard before making a decision against a user. They should asks themselves questions such as "Am I only reprimanding this user because I personally am not on the same wavelength as this user?", "Would I reprimand my good pal User X had User X done something similar?", etc.

Last edited by L.Ron Hubbard on Fri May 13th, 2011 12:34 PM, edited 46 and 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:11 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games: I-V + DLC
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
UESPoints: 4
I do agree with most of what you've said, and I'd like to clear up something before people flip [&@%!]:
This is not an attack on moderators and is actually a thread designed to work out a specific issue fairly and with expectations from both sides.

Now, as for what you've said, I myself believe that it is the moderators' job to build a relationship with the community, but those who consider their relationship with mods as unfit should also accept any effort a moderator makes to at least try to reach some sort of semblance of a relationship.
That being said, it's not required of anyone, but a hatred for someone in power is not good unless those in power are particularly evil people, and, while I and many others may disagree with some of the things the moderators do and believe, I know for a fact none of them are bad people.
However a relationship cannot be forced on someone, and if the user does not wish to cooperate, then the relationship shouldn't be forced at all. Though, not having a relationship with a moderator can lead to rather pointless arguments, because, nobody an argue with another person if they do not know what is a trigger for the other person.

So, yeah, I believe it is a moderator's job to build rapport, but requires an acceptance of their effort by the user they're speaking to.
However, rapport build should not create a user bias like Lindai said. Moderators should be able to separate their personal relationships from their moderation, to avoid any biased decisions toward these people.
It's all about a user's intent behind something, and it always will be. No matter how well you know that person, if they have a bad intent in their minds then they should be corrected.
But, intent is not something to be judged by another person, intent can only be judged by the user wielding the intent.

I got off track, didn't I?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:55 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PS3 PS4
Other Profiles: BuzBee3(PSN)
Really? We have to make another rule to ask people to like/dislike us? Seriously. Common sense here, and if the Moderators want to get too controlling, then the backlash will happen again. Don't over think the rules, that's conjecture. Enforce just to keep things from getting out of hand, and only discipline people on PM. That should be good enough. It is difficult for the Mods to NOT put their own feelings into something they don't like, but as long as the Mods just enforce the aforementioned guidelines and keep their personal FEELINGS out of it, then that is building rapport. This site can be boring if people can't get into a heated debate occasionally. Again common sense.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:07 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games: I-V + DLC
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
UESPoints: 4
It's more of a way to clarify the duties of moderators and give them public guidelines of what they can and cannot do.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:12 pm 
Warder
Warder

Oh, then I guess they should read what I wrote.
and tiny puppy friggin cute.! (tension breaker)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:13 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

There seems to be some confusion surrounding the meaning of the word "rapport." Here is a definition straight from Google, "A close and harmonious relationship in which the people or groups concerned understand each other's feelings or ideas and communicate well." This contrasts with Google's definition of a friend, "A person with whom one has a bond of mutual affection." The point of difference being that rapport is about communicating effectively, where as friendship is about mutual affection. Saying that two people do not have a good rapport is essentially saying that they are unable to communicate effectively (they might also dislike each other also, but not necessarily). Since rapport is about communicating effectively, it is generally considered to be important in every professional relationship. This includes law enforcement, which, I guess, is an appropriately similar position to the moderators on this forum.

Also, this is not about forcing people to feel a certain way - I agree; that's impossible. Instead it is about acknowledging (or not) that a lack of rapport is a problem. How (or if) they choose to address that problem is up to them.

Edit: It has been brought to my attention that some of the information that I suggested should be available is actually already available. Specifically, I'm referring to descriptions of the moderator ranks. These are available here, here and here. However, apart from being available, this information should also be visible, and spreading three clearly related pieces of information out over three separate, regular (except for the FAQ, which is part of the rules) topics that contain no links to each other, certainly is not an adequate level of visibility.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:03 pm 
Lord of the Shivering Isles
Lord of the Shivering Isles

ES Games: Oblivion:GOTY, Skyrim:Legendary edition
Platform: PS3.
UESPoints: 12
Forgive me if i've misunderstood it but it sounds like you want to make moderators interact with everyone because they have to not because they want to. If they are required to do that, it could turn it into a chore and cause them to hate giving back to the community. As that is the main reason why many people accept the position when offered it.

I personally don't see a lack of communication as they have always told me their reasons when i've asked if Thread X is okay or got back to me about my concerns about a member. And they do have busy lives as well so they can't always get back to us on the same day.

Regarding the mods playing favourites. I disagree. They treat everyone the same. If I broke a rule here, Alarra would treat me as someone that broke the rule not as someone that she likes chatting to. Same applies to everyone else. As they put the rules above everything and even discuss it in their forum to see if it is fair or not. If it's not, they are likely to apologise to the user and try to avoid it happening again. But I don't know if this has ever happened so i may be wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:45 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

You are forgiven for misunderstanding, as this is quite a complex topic. As such, this might take me a bit of time to explain. Bear with me.

The way you worded your first sentence makes me suspect that we're not really talking about the same thing. Here is (part of) your first sentence, with the words that made me unsure in bold, "It sounds like you want to make moderators interact with everyone because they have to not because they want to."

First up, "make." In my original post, I stated that these "rules" should be largely aspirational, and that I had no interest in proposing any kind of disciplinary system for mods who did not follow them. With that in mind, "make" is a word that I find slightly misleading. Of course, I understand that stating something as an aspiration, still implies that an effort should be made to achieve it - and I guess that's what you meant - but technically nothing would be forcing them to make an effort. Also, just before the word "make" are the words, "you want to," and I have a slight issue with those as well. Just so that it's clear, I don't want to "make" anyone do anything - and even if I did, I am but a regular user, and so my powers are essentially quite limited. The only way the mods will be "made" to do anything is if they agree that a strong rapport with the community is something that they should aspire to. And if they agree, then whatever they decide to do about it will be done because they agree, and not because I am somehow forcing it on them.

The reason I'm commenting on you using the word "interact" is because it's clear that we are talking about different things. Interaction and rapport are not synonymous - interaction, in this context, broadly describes communication where as rapport is a type of relationship. Of course, building rapport requires interaction, but no amount of interaction guarantees a good rapport. And in this case, I don't think that a lack of interaction is the cause of these problems. If the mods choose to address this problem, then they are free to do it however they like, but I personally don't see it requiring any significant increase in interaction. They might think that, but I don't.

The last few words that I bolded were, "have to" and "want to." My issues with these words are essentially the same as the issues that I mentioned earlier in regards to the word, "make." If you read over that stuff again, you'll see that a lot of it applies here too.

I actually agree with your next paragraph - it's a lack of rapport that is the problem, not a lack of communication (again, you may have thought that the terms are synonymous, but they're not). However in the last paragraph you mentioned something about mods playing favourites, and I wonder if that was directed at me because I don't recall having ever made that claim, and it certainly was not my intention to. I apologise for miscommunicating if that's the impression that you got from reading my posts.

Anyway, a part of me thinks that this is simpler than it's being made out to be. At the moment, it sounds like you (personally) have a good rapport with the moderators. I doubt this is because anyone ever made a conscious effort to build a good rapport - it's most likely just formed naturally from you having somewhat similar personalities. All I am proposing is that if this were to ever change, and you found that you did not have a good rapport with the mods, then the moderators would recognise it as a problem and aspire to fix it. That is essentially what it all boils down to.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:28 pm 
Warder
Warder

Moderators soothing ruffled feathers, is that really what you are talking about? That is after the fact, no? So far the moderators seem to be getting that things were not right and with the new rules change, they are trying to fix the discontent. Are you having problems with moderators yourself? PM them. Just the fact that the moderators are interacting with people in the threads as community users is rapport building. My point was just that when the Mods are moderating, they detach from "friendships" and simply enforce the rules. (I think they can and do this already mostly)
Rapport when off duty/ rules enforced on duty. They will overlap naturally.
So, still not sure what you are proposing is different than what is already happening.
Since this is going in a circle I have said all I need to.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:32 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

No, I am not talking about "smoothing ruffled feathers," I'm talking about rapport.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:25 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
UESPoints: 5
Ursula R. M. wrote:
Are you having problems with moderators yourself?

Not to come off as snarky, but there's absolutely no need to resort to ad hominem (insofar as questioning an individual's motivations/character is a form of ad hominem), even if unintentional.

Moeboid's personal circumstances are totally irrelevant in the scheme of this discussion.

If I may, Moeboid is talking about: "a close and harmonious relationship in which the people or groups concerned understand each other's feelings or ideas and communicate well."

That means that he is asking, should the Mod Team attempt to understand the perspectives and feelings of the community and its several members on a 'deeper' level, and what sort of communication (one-way, limited two-way, etc.) should exist on the forums between the Mod Team and other community members.

That has nothing to do with dispute resolution/crisis management, and everything to do with regular, every-day goings on.

To be clear, I'm not weighing in either way at this point, I'm just un-muddying the water.

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:51 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

UESPoints: 1
I voted no. I'm not saying that they shouldn't build rapport, but it shouldn't be their responsibility.

I was the first person to vote no, but once more people voted yes, it made me really nervous. :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:28 pm 
Goatmom/Moderator
Goatmom/Moderator

UESPoints: 88
Absolutely yes. This isn't an observation about the current mod team from me, just something that I think is beneficial in any community. Rapport is always a good thing.

On company time

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:09 pm 
Novice
Novice

Short answer: No.

Long answer:
Based on this definition...
Moeboid wrote:
There seems to be some confusion surrounding the meaning of the word "rapport." Here is a definition straight from Google, "A close and harmonious relationship in which the people or groups concerned understand each other's feelings or ideas and communicate well."

and this statement...
Moeboid wrote:
I also want to touch on the idea of this being a "two way" thing - suggesting that it's the users' responsibility as well. I disagree. It might be in our interest, but it certainly shouldn't be our responsibility. It would be like suggesting that it's a customer's responsibility to build rapport with a salesman, a child's responsibility to build rapport with their teacher, a patient's responsibility to build rapport with their doctor etc. In each case, it's likely in their interest, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it ridiculous to suggest that it's their responsibility. If you think it should, then I suppose it should be added to the forum rules, but I confess that I'd be embarrassed to see it there. Making rapport building the responsibility of the moderators would be in line with pretty much every other industry. I can't see any justification for an exception.

...I vote no.

Wikipedia gives a little more insight into what "rapport" means, and some methods of obtaining it. One method I would like to specifically highlight is "commonality";

Wikipedia wrote:
Commonality is the technique of deliberately finding something in common with a person or a customer in order to build a sense of camaraderie and trust. This is done through shared interests, dislikes, and situations.

This isn't an "industry", it's a public forum/wiki. Moderators are not teachers, doctors or salespeople, (in the context of posting here on the forums; they may very well be any of those professions apart from their duties as moderators). Moderators are not hired in from the outside. We're all here for our shared love of a series of video games.

I don't view moderators as anything other than fellow users. They are all people who play the games and come here to talk about them. To me they're only "moderators" when they take action at times when someone is doing something they shouldn't be, such as wandering off topic or getting into arguments, for example.

It is my responsibility to build rapport with other users, regardless what color their name is. I am the only person who can make sure that my feelings are adequately expressed and my ideas are clearly communicated.

We, as a community, should be building rapport with one another, but nowhere should it be a "rule" that's applied to anyone. It's akin to making a "rule" that says we should all have played at least one Elder Scrolls game. We are all here to communicate with one another about our shared interest, (see above; "commonality"). If we as individuals aren't interested in communicating our feelings and ideas with others, or if we as individuals are not interested in listening to others who share their thoughts and opinions, then why are we participating in a communal forum?

In my opinion, singling out a specific group of users as the sole burden bearers of "rapport building" is disingenuous to the very concept of a community. We are not two separate groups of people trying to come together from opposite sides, (i.e. teacher/student, doctor/patient, salesperson/customer), we are one group, some of whom have been tasked with making sure that everything runs smoothly for everyone as a whole.

Off-Site Links ■ RaptrAvatar Credit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:19 pm 
Goatmom/Moderator
Goatmom/Moderator

UESPoints: 88
I may have misunderstood, but I don't believe that anyone is saying that rapport building should rely entirely on moderators, just that it's more important for them to do so. A uncommunicative member will eventually break the rules and be punished for it. A moderator who is uncommunicative on the other hand, is a much more open-ended situation.

On company time

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:56 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Having reviewed this topic and considered the things that have been said, I want to apologise for using the word "responsibility" in relation to rapport building. It was a bad word to use because it doesn't represent what I actually had in mind. In my original post, I proposed the creation of a topic that outlined the "powers, duties and responsibilities" of the moderators. I mentioned later in that post that the duties and responsibilities (I used the word "rules" originally - probably because I had used it in an earlier draft) should function more like aspirations, but I am now thinking that some of them should actually be listed as aspirations, and not as duties or responsibilities. This applies especially to rapport building. "Aspiration" represents my position far more accurately than "duty" or "responsibility". As such, I have changed the poll question to the following, "Should the mod team aspire to have a good rapport with the community?"

I also want to parrot what Duruza said about my personal relationship with the mods being irrelevant. In my original post, I said that "the mod team does not have a strong rapport with certain members/groups of members." I have no problem admitting that I am one of them, but it's an irrelevant fact. Even if I was not among the users who do not have a strong rapport, I would still recognise it as a problem and support this proposal.

TL;DR - the question poll question has changed slightly. Please review it and change your response if necessary. Apologies for the inconvenience.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:35 pm 
Novice
Novice

Mars wrote:
I may have misunderstood, but I don't believe that anyone is saying that rapport building should rely entirely on moderators, just that it's more important for them to do so. A uncommunicative member will eventually break the rules and be punished for it. A moderator who is uncommunicative on the other hand, is a much more open-ended situation.

The very question is was phrased exactly that way; "Should rapport building be a moderator's responsibility?"

There is also this quote, which may or may not be relevant any longer;
Moeboid wrote:
I also want to touch on the idea of this being a "two way" thing - suggesting that it's the users' responsibility as well. I disagree. It might be in our interest, but it certainly shouldn't be our responsibility.

-----

Moeboid wrote:
TL;DR - the question poll question has changed slightly. Please review it and change your response if necessary. Apologies for the inconvenience.

I stand by my previous opinion; it is not the responsibility of one group of users, nor should it be the aspiration of one group of users.

Allow me a moment to ask a question in return. How would you propose moderators aspire to build rapport?

We already have means by which we can directly communicate with the mods, publicly and privately, (Ask a Mod thread, PMs, chat), we have a thread specifically for suggestions and another for concerns as they relate to the forums.

What more are they supposed to do above and beyond what they already do in the spirit of "rapport", (i.e. listening to our opinions, feelings and concerns).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:23 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Mars seems to be saying essentially what I said in that quote, which I believe is still relevant in the following way: If the mod team is to aspire to having a good rapport with the community, then an individual moderator has an implied responsibility to help build and maintain that rapport.

The last part I'm having trouble interpreting. It sounds like your decision might be influenced by a belief that the mods are already doing everything that they can, in which case you perhaps agree that they should aspire to have a good rapport with the community, but disagree that they should be doing more than they already are. Just assuming here; please correct me if I'm wrong. But if that is the case, then you've selected the wrong option. This isn't about what or how much the mods do to build rapport - that's up to them - instead this is about what kind of relationship they should aspire to have with the community.

Anyway, you asked how moderators should build rapport (you used the word aspire, but I'm guessing that was an accident). Basically, I don't see the relevance of this question. Unless a lack of rapport is recognised as a problem (as it would be if a good rapport was an aspiration), then there's no real purpose in discussing how they should do it, since there's no real reason for them to do it at all. Those things that you mentioned are good, and I support their existence, but it's irrelevant.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:45 pm 
Novice
Novice

Moeboid wrote:
Mars seems to be saying essentially what I said in that quote, which I believe is still relevant in the following way: If the mod team is to aspire to having a good rapport with the community, then an individual moderator has an implied responsibility to help build and maintain that rapport.

Then my response is still relevant; it is the responsibility of every member of these boards to build rapport. I believe it is a two way street, where you specifically state that it is only the responsibility of the moderators.
Moeboid wrote:
The last part I'm having trouble interpreting. It sounds like your decision might be influenced by a belief that the mods are already doing everything that they can, in which case you perhaps agree that they should aspire to have a good rapport with the community, but disagree that they should be doing more than they already are. Just assuming here; please correct me if I'm wrong. But if that is the case, then you've selected the wrong option. This isn't about what or how much the mods do to build rapport - that's up to them - instead this is about what kind of relationship they should aspire to have with the community.

I selected the option that most accurately represents my opinion; there is not, nor should there be, any additional burden on the moderators to build rapport above and beyond what should be expected of a community of like minded individuals. We're all here to talk about The Elder Scrolls, and we all equally share our thoughts and opinions on that topic.
Moeboid wrote:
Anyway, you asked how moderators should build rapport (you used the word aspire, but I'm guessing that was an accident). Basically, I don't see the relevance of this question. Unless a lack of rapport is recognised as a problem (as it would be if a good rapport was an aspiration), then there's no real purpose in discussing how they should do it, since there's no real reason for them to do it at all. Those things that you mentioned are good, and I support their existence, but it's irrelevant.

There was no accident in my phrasing, and in fact it was quite deliberate. The very idea of building rapport should be a non-question. We are here together as a community, and the very nature of being in a community in and of itself implies rapport. A community cannot exist without it, as it relates to your specific definition of what "rapport" is.

You state...
Moeboid wrote:
The lack of clarity on this issue, I believe, is central to some of the problems currently facing these forums, and so I think that this is something that needs to be discussed and eventually resolved

...which directly implies that you do see this as a problem.

Saying that "it's up to the mods to decide if and how much rapport they should build" completely negates the purpose of asking us our opinions, since the mods are already doing what they feel is best to maintain a healthy amount of communication between them and the rest of the users here. They already listen to what we have to say with regards to how the boards are run, and do take reasonable opinions and suggestions into consideration.

There is no irrelivance in what I asked if you personally believe that there is some additional means aside from those I've listed that would build rapport.

So, I ask again in different words; what problems do you see currently facing these forums, how is the perceived lack of rapport contributing to these problems, and what is the solution that you suggest in order to resolve these problems?

If the solution is simply to "leave it up to the mods to decide", then there is nothing to change, as the mods are already doing what the mods have decided to do.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:16 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Just quickly; while I did say that I believe that it only be the responsibility of the moderators, I also said that it would also be in the interest of regular users anyway, so some effort on their behalf can be reasonably expected. I'd prefer that you included that part of the quote as well, as I don't feel like my position is represented accurately without it.

The reason I want to see this as something that the mod team aspires to is because, when a lack of rapport exists between a user/group of users, then that sucks for the user much more than it does for the moderator. Imagine a user who has made every effort to build rapport with the mod team, but no rapport has been established. If the mods aspire to have a good rapport with the community, then they would recognise this as a problem and attempt to solve it (how they actually did that would depend on the circumstances). However, if having a good rapport with the community was not stated as an aspiration, then they may or may not make recognise this as a problem, and may or may not choose to do anything about it. That is essentially why I support the former.

You asked specifically about the problems on the forums at the moment. However, the fact that these forums have problems is incidental. Their existence should have no impact on this discussion. This should be all hypothetical.

The discussion that you seem to want to have now - about what the mods should actually do - is the one that I would to have later on, once this issue has been resolved. See point 2 below.

If having a good rapport with the community is stated as an aspiration then I'm hoping it will have two effects:
1. Moderators will be aware that it's something that they should focus on, which may or may not be the case at the moment. Perhaps it's something that some moderators just aren't thinking about at the moment? Stating it as an aspiration would move it further forward in their minds.
2. It will open the moderators up to criticism. True, they're already open to criticism, but it's hard to criticise them for not doing their job, so to speak, when it's not stated anywhere what their job actually is.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:30 am 
Novice
Novice

I'm just going to touch briefly on a couple of key points, but I foresee us simply continuing to talk in circles beyond this point.

Hidden:
I disagree with the presumption that it is not the "responsibility" of all non-moderators to build rapport. While you state that it may be in their best interests, your underlying belief is that it is not a "responsibility". This is what I disagree with, and thus this is the focus of my statements. Everyone should have this aspiration before they even register for an account.

It's not my place to insure that your position is represented accurately; that's entirely up to you.

If only "some effort" is expected of one "group" of users, (and I continue to disagree that there are two distinct groups here), then it is completely unfair to expect anything more from the second "group". As you define rapport, to "...understand each other's feelings or ideas and communicate well", there will be a failure to achieve this goal if both parties aren't working to this end. It's all or nothing, and it's everybody or nobody.

At this point I'm not even sure I understand the question anymore. The very nature of this thread implies that, on some level, the amount of rapport is unsatisfactory. I've asked twice now what more could be or should be expected of the moderators above and beyond their efforts to "...understand each other's feelings or ideas and communicate well".

I cannot, and will not, agree that there is a problem of lack of rapport without evidence, opinion or speculation as to where this lack of rapport exists.

Since this entire thread should be a hypothetical question, my hypothetical answer will be that the moderators are going above and beyond to maintain an open communication with the rest of the members via threads, PM and chat, and respect our feelings and ideas by giving us a platform to ask any question we want.

Short version; if lack of rapport such an issue that it needs to be made a "rule", "aspiration" "guideline" or "suggestion", then throw it in the forum rules and apply it equally to all members across the board. This is not the burden for the mods to carry alone with "some" effort from the rest of the community.

I've cast my vote, I've said my piece, and with that, I'm bowing out of this thread and going back to playing Oblivion.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:27 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
UESPoints: 5
Airos, I don't think the point is that non-Mod community members shouldn't try to get along with each other, or the Mods. The point is, should Mods be expected to go A and B the C of D. Do we expect a certain level of commitment from our Mods, and what level is it that we expect, if we do so? Is it a formal position, and if so, what does this entail.

To weigh in slightly, I do believe that it's fairly obvious that the answer to at least the first half of my last question is yes. What we conclude from that is up to us to decide.

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:23 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind GotY, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
Status: lifting heavy [&@%!] using my back and not my knees
Other Profiles: discord @ atlasserved
OblivionDuruza wrote:
Airos, I don't think the point is that non-Mod community members shouldn't try to get along with each other, or the Mods.

Seriously. No one is saying that it's solely the responsibility of the moderators to interact well with the members. It's pretty obvious that everyone, members and moderators, need to interact well with each other. For example, let's say the moderators act nicely toward the users while the users behave like [&@%!] to the moderators. It's completely unreasonable to expect a good relationship to form there, right? Right, which is why no one is suggesting that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:27 pm 
Novice
Novice

Alright, with two post directed at me, I'll go back on my word for a moment.

OblivionDuruza wrote:
Airos, I don't think the point is that non-Mod community members shouldn't try to get along with each other, or the Mods. The point is, should Mods be expected to go A and B the C of D. Do we expect a certain level of commitment from our Mods, and what level is it that we expect, if we do so? Is it a formal position, and if so, what does this entail.

My point is if mods are expected to go "A and B the C and D" then non-mods need to be expected to do the same. This entire thread is about one word, one term, one "responsibility"; rapport.

I personally expect the exact same level of commitment, when we're talking about "rapport", from every single person here. If this is expected to be a formal position, then it needs to be a formal position for all people who join the moment they register, not for moderators alone.

Rose of Sithis wrote:
OblivionDuruza wrote:
Airos, I don't think the point is that non-Mod community members shouldn't try to get along with each other, or the Mods.

Seriously. No one is saying that it's solely the responsibility of the moderators to interact well with the members. It's pretty obvious that everyone, members and moderators, need to interact well with each other. For example, let's say the moderators act nicely toward the users while the users behave like [&@%!] to the moderators. It's completely unreasonable to expect a good relationship to form there, right? Right, which is why no one is suggesting that.

Moeboid used those exact words in his opening post, and again in his most recent post. He specifically stated that he does not believe it is the responsibility of non-moderators to build rapport, which is specifically the point I am arguing against.

I say it is the "responsibility" of non-moderators, where Moeboid says it is not.

Moeboid did further clarify that "some effort" should be expected of non-moderators, to which I still argue is unbalanced. Either we all only put in "some effort" or we all "aspire". Neither side should be expected to do more than the other.

As long as this discussion continues to focus specifically on rapport as the responsibility of moderators, and not on the forums as a whole, then I will maintain my position.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next