A place for discussions and questions specifically about the UESP forums.
Topic locked

tamiriel foundry sticky post mentioneing UESP as "crap"

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:08 pm

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/eso-lor ... nceptions/

I cite:
Never consult the wikia on lore matters. It is rubbish, as proven here "TES wiki or UESP wiki, which one is more reliable lore-wise?"

I found it a bit harsh ;-) I was going to report it on the forum itself, but maybe better is an UESP admin does it no ?

the article mentioned is much more UESP friendly

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/144921 ... lore-wise/

Re: tamiriel foundry sticky post mentioneing UESP as "crap"

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:27 pm

I think they are saying the TES wiki is crap, not so much UESP, though UESP is tarred with the same brush

this comment is a bit concerning in the discussion:
With regards to UESP though, just remember not to use the summary articles as sources. They often contain misleading or false information.

hmm

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:49 pm

Maybe you re right, maybe he only targeted the TES wiki,

Wikia
I assumed the guy tried to type "wikis" "a" being next to "s"

but I realized TES wiki has "wikia" in the site name.

Anyway, UESP is recognized for the"lore" so definitively not a good comment.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:08 pm

i never saw this as a lore site, i had visited UESP for years before joining the forums and i have never been disappointed with the info on the games themselves

in fact, the Lore has only started to be a thing in the last few years, since Oblivion really, until then most people seemed to be more interested in speculation over what something in the game meant and the actual games themselves, rather than scholars of all that is TES

i will continue to enjoy the forum community here and the game info resources which i think are second to none whatever other sites say

see what the mods say though, perhaps there is a case for distancing this site from the word "crap"

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:14 pm

The wikia is complete and utter garbage when it comes to lore.You couldn't clean it up even if you took every dedicated UESP wiki editor there and put them to the job.The place is beyond repair.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:26 pm

well,

the idea is this, the wikia (not uesp) might be wahtever.
When a new player goe sto tamiriel foundry, and wonder about getting info about lore,
the "official post" is
wiki is crap
go to the imperial library.

Maybe they only meant (wikia is bad, but it reads as both TES wiki and UESP wiki are crap).

So if I was a new player I would nto come here, I would go to the imperial library.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:14 am

Regardless of the intention, the UESP Wiki is in fact a better source for lore than the Imperial Library because it only lists primary source material, not the OOC and headcanon B-grade lore material that is featured on the IL. That's not to say that the IL is inferior, but that if you are new to the franchise and want to learn the lore, you should only do so by considering primary source material, either in-game or online. Once you've mastered the primary material, then you can move on to the 'what ifs' presented by a lot of the material on the IL.

That all said, it's probably more appropriate that a user at Tamriel Foundry raise the issue than a UESP Wiki Admin trying to address it. If you see something that doesn't gel with you as a user of any site, you should be able to say something about it and feel that you have been heard. It might seem a little belligerent for the UESP Admins to try and influence the opinions of sites and organisations they don't themselves have any ties to.

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:54 am

Mefris Elmek wrote:The wikia is complete and utter garbage when it comes to lore.You couldn't clean it up even if you took every dedicated UESP wiki editor there and put them to the job.The place is beyond repair.

That's kind of harsh don't you think? A lot of people over there probably say the same thing about UESP. I can't comment because I haven't used both wiki's.

Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:02 am

As others have said, you're misreading the post, and he isn't saying at all that the UESP is crap. The UESP is just part of the thread title that he links to and has nothing to do with the wikia site.

Speaking of thread titles, this thread's really bothers me because it's wrong and inflammatory.

Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:35 pm

Yes, it is a simple misunderstanding. Locking.
Topic locked