UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is part of alphabetic quest list wiki page missing?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:47 am 
Layman
Layman

In looking at the 'Category:Oblivion-Quests' wiki page I noticed that the alphabetical list of quests appears to be cut off in the middle of the T's. By my count this means about 28 quests are missing but from what I have seen most if not all of those 28 quests already have detailed walkthru/description pages. Am I missing something here or is part of this page missing for some reason?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:18 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Not sure, I've never used this page before. (A link to the page you mentioned incase anyone else wants to look):
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Category:Oblivion-Quests

But you're right that they do appear to be cut off at the T's and the "next 200" link doesn't seem to work. Do you know any specific quests that you can't see there? Maybe there really are none after that??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:49 pm 
Master
Master

The "next 200" seems to work for me....

http://www.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=C ... rve+Sithis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:55 pm 
Layman
Layman

Thanks for the help folks.

Vesna, I did try the 'next 200' link and it does not work for me. I am relieved to see someone else confirm that they have the same problem. Using the link from your post doesn't take me to the second page either but you have pinpointed the problem by confirming that you do get the second page.

If the page exists then the trouble must relate the systems/software I have. I am using XP-Pro w/SP-2 and IE 6.0 I don't see anything unusual about the link to cause problems but I'm no expert on browsers either. If anyone knows more about the specifics of this problem or how to fix it, I would certainly appreciate the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:39 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: I, III, IV
Platform: PC, PS3
UESPoints: 0
heh that link gives me the first 200 quests and the next button just shows the same page. I'm using Firefox and vista so it's not a problem on the software side (I assume since we are using different).

- Vargon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:00 pm 
Master
Master

I'm using Firefox and WindowsXP if that makes a difference. The Internet Explorer can also access that page without a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:36 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 6
I is so smart, I figured it out :lol:

You have to be logged in for the link to work--don't ask me why!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:43 pm 
Master
Master

I've never gotten anything different that the first page and the next 200 being the same page. Maybe I'm not understanding this whole thing correctly? Logged into where, the forums or the wiki?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:53 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 6
The wiki.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:35 pm 
Master
Master

Hmmm.... I remember recieving a lecture from Nephie/Lurlock about that.... Let's see how much I remember.

Same thing with what happened with the Places (or was it people?) page, when it wouldn't work unless you are logged in. If you are logged in, the page has to be rewritten to suit your preferences (or even that bar at the top of the screen that has links to your user page/talk/contibutions/etc.

And that's all I remember... There was something about the squid cache as well.

Ah screw it. I'll ask one of the admins later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:00 pm 
Layman
Layman

To Deandra;

YES, you sure is! Hats off, cheers, awards and many, many, many thankyou's for the info. This explains the nature of the problem and above all, a correction for it. I still feel it shows an unfixed shortcoming with the wiki software but at least now we know how to cope with it.

I don't recall seeing anything about this in the introductory info for the wiki site and I certainly feel there should be an article about it there until (when/if) the software is fixed. I guess I should go post the same suggestion at the wiki site. In the meanwhile I'm off to peruse the wiki some more to see if there are more pages where I wasn't seeing the whole thing and need to get 'The Rest of the Story'.

Thanks again to all for the responses and help.

OW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:20 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
It appears to be a new problem that has only cropped up recently (e.g., in the last month if not even more recently; there have been a lot of performance-improving tweaks during that period). We weren't aware of it until this forums thread. Daveh and I have both done some investigation, and the first couple of suspected causes turned out to be wrong. We're still working to fix it (and a notice has been added to the Adminstrator Noticeboard, although with a now-disproven explanation), but at the moment we're having a hard time correctly identifying the source of the problem. In other words, it's hard to know how long it will take to identify the cause and therefore fix it.

I'm not sure about posting a more complete explanation on the wiki, given that it is a temporary bug. It only affects pages that use "from=" in the URL, which basically means it only affects categories that have more than 200 pages. There are only a handful of categories that are that large.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:36 pm 
Layman
Layman

Thanks very much for the additional info Nephele. That really helps users such as myself to know where to watch out for this problem so that we don't end up missing available info at the wiki site.

I certainly agree too that there is no need to put a long term posting at the wiki site since it is a problem that is being worked on with the intent of fixing it permanently. I was surprised (unless I'm just not smart enough to locate it) though that there doesn't seem to be an indexed spot at the wiki lists/describes reported or known problems. I would think that such a section would be of considerable help to administrators and users alike for quite a number of reasons.

OW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:47 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
Problems that administrators need to fix generally get reported on the Administrator Noticeboard. Problems with individual pages can be reported on the article's talk page.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]