UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Daggerfall General Discussion Thread
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:07 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: XLengine
UESPoints: 0
MARS wrote:
They're randomly generated, so no.

No the dungeons in Daggerfall are like the cities, homes, and temples, a dungeon by a certain name is always the same.
The only difference between main quest dungeons and the regular kind, is that MQ dungeons use blocks that are only used in those particular dungeons.
In other words, the dungeons are as random as anything else in the game, they are "pre-random-generated" :D

To test it out for your self, do the the map location cheat, travel to a dungeon by whatever name you like.
Make a new character, exit the starter dungeon, do the map cheat and travel to the same dungeon, it will be the same as with the other character.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:52 pm 
Warder
Warder

UESPoints: 1
Going to try to play Daggerfall again, any tips for your save files not deleting themselves after a while? It happened before and really sucked. I was using Ancestral Ghost's version of Daggerfall, the one on this very site.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:55 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Other Profiles: XLengine
I started playing Daggerfall back in 1996, is is easily the game I have played most of all, but I have never ever had a savegame delete it self.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:41 am 
Warder
Warder

That's really odd then; maybe it was a once in a lifetime thing. I guess I don't have to worry about it happening again.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:39 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
Other Profiles: Häijy Velho on Steam
I have been playing Daggerfall for about a month now, and suddenly the game got bugged so that it doesn't play any kind of sound effect on hit. Other sound effects work just fine; if an enemy parries me, I hear a sound effect, when the enemy dies, I hear a sound effect, but if I just land a hit (that doesn't kill the enemy,) there is no sound effect.

(Edit: this only seems to happen on just that one character; I made a new one and the hit sound effect works just fine. Dammit! Am I going to have to abandon this character?)

Anyone else has this bug? How should I try to fix it? I have no idea :-/

Also my character's jumping is buggy. He normally jumps like 2 inches or something. Not very high anyway. His jumping skill is over 30%. I made another character just to test it, and put jumping as his primary skill, and that character is able to jump VERY high even though his jumping skill isn't much higher. So I think it is only that one character that has been bugged. It's a shame, I wanted him to be an acrobat rogue :-| I don't want to abandon him just because of these bugs! I would really appreciate it if someone could help. Thanks.

By the way, has any modder tried to make a better map system for the dungeons? A map that actually WORKS? I hate the 3D map more than anything else in the game... it would be so great if there was a 2D map similar to the one when you're in a town. So you could write your own notes on it and stuff like that. Of course since there's multiple layers in the dungeons, the map should change when you enter another floor. I'm not sure if that's possible, I'm not a modder and I know absolutely nothing about modding or games in general.

It would be a very handy mod anyway and I'm sure many people would appreciate it if someone could make that. I'm not sure if it's a difficult thing to do but if someone is able to, there's an idea for a mod then.

I'd also like to know: Do daedric artifacts ever break at all? I recently got myself Hircine's ring and I was wondering if it breaks like other magical items. I couldn't find an answer in the wiki.

Last edited by BetaB17 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Double post

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:31 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: PC, Xbox
Trap doors in the floor don't open even when there is a quest object\person on the other side. Why?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:03 am 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim, Morrowind, Daggerfall, Arena
Trap doors that hide a quest object are usually opened by switches.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:54 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: All main games up to and including Oblivion
Häijy Velho wrote:
By the way, has any modder tried to make a better map system for the dungeons? A map that actually WORKS? I hate the 3D map more than anything else in the game... it would be so great if there was a 2D map similar to the one when you're in a town. So you could write your own notes on it and stuff like that. Of course since there's multiple layers in the dungeons, the map should change when you enter another floor. I'm not sure if that's possible, I'm not a modder and I know absolutely nothing about modding or games in general.

It would be a very handy mod anyway and I'm sure many people would appreciate it if someone could make that. I'm not sure if it's a difficult thing to do but if someone is able to, there's an idea for a mod then.

I'd also like to know: Do daedric artifacts ever break at all? I recently got myself Hircine's ring and I was wondering if it breaks like other magical items. I couldn't find an answer in the wiki.

If you click on the map (when you are in the map screen), it will toggle between 3D and 2D versions. The 2D version can zoom in (downwards) and out (upwards). It's useful to use both to keep track of where things are.

Most artifacts have a random chance to disappear every time you use them/after a random time since you got them. Check the descriptions on the Daggerfall pages.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:43 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: PC, Xbox
Fabio95 wrote:
Trap doors that hide a quest object are usually opened by switches.

No they don't, that's my point. They may as well just be a pretty piece of flooring. Just to clarify I am referring to the trap door that is a wooden square with metal fixtures and a circular handle. There is one such trap door in Castle Necromoghan for instance, I tried every switch I could find and nothing happened It wasn't until I used the quest location cheat that there was really anything on the other side.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:47 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Morrowind, Daggerfall
I know some are traps that trigger when you walk across them because i walked across some in dungeons with a Ring of Notorgo (100 Quickness) on and they opened, but i crossed fast enough not to fall through.

Some (i think) can be triggered by levers to open. Others may just be scenery - not sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:30 pm 
Associate
Associate

Platform: PC, Xbox, Xbox 360
Fighters Guild: Go to the Wicksley Residence here in Gothway Garden to kill some rats
*travels there, door is locked*
Let's try waiting!
*loiters for a few hours, still locked*
Let's pick the lock! (Failed)
Let's bash the door!

HALT!HALT!HALT!HALT!HALT!HALT!HALT!HALT!HALT!HALT!HALT!HALT!HALT!HALT!HALT!HALT!HALT!HALT!HALT!

I love this game

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:26 pm 
Goatmom/Moderator
Goatmom/Moderator

UESPoints: 88
Just downloaded this messed up gem again because I'm on vacation and this laptop can't even run Spotify without crying. I'll be sure to update on hilarious antics.

On company time

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:11 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard, Morrowind, Stormhold, Dawnstar, Oblivion, Oblivion (mobile), Skyrim
Well, I haven't finished Arena yet, and haven't done a lot with Daggerfall yet due to that, but it's amazing how much more complicated this game is than Arena. Not a bad complicated, but there's a lot more to learn. The map system in dungeons is a bit hard to get accustomed to, but I do quite appreciate the 3D nature of them. These are just some small thoughts before I really start getting into the game.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:22 pm 
Goatmom/Moderator
Goatmom/Moderator

UESPoints: 88
MURS wrote:
Just downloaded this messed up gem again because I'm on vacation and this laptop can't even run Spotify without crying. I'll be sure to update on hilarious antics.

Update: I've discovered a computer that can't run Daggerfall properly because of performance. It's the one I'm using.

On company time

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:02 am 
Associate
Associate

What shop buys your items like Holy daggers, Tomes, stuff like that?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:51 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Should be available in pawn shops.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:53 pm 
Associate
Associate

MrFlibble wrote:
Should be available in pawn shops.

Thanks! I want to have a town with the following services:

Alchemist
Pawn shop
Fighters Guild
any temple

Hopefully it's easy.

Singwych in Bhoriane seems to meet my needs. Anyway, a monster I was supposed to kill got stuck in some geometry. How would I kill him/get him out?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:57 am 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Redguard
Platform: Xbox, PC, PS
By Malacath, I'm too late - Daggerfall's bugginess killed them all by making them fall through the dungeon floor....

NOOOO!
:cry:

Interested in
Daedra Worship? Check out my blog!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:38 am 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Daggerfall, Morrowind
Dunadd wrote:
I know some are traps that trigger when you walk across them because i walked across some in dungeons with a Ring of Notorgo (100 Quickness) on and they opened, but i crossed fast enough not to fall through.

Some (i think) can be triggered by levers to open. Others may just be scenery - not sure.

In the block with a large hall with high towers with spiral staircases inside, there is a trapdoor, which opens when you walk across. Just to let player fall thru it and crash his bones.
In the block with a trapdoor under a hole at the end of a small corridor (with another hole at the opposite end), that trapdoor opened by an animal scull-shaped switch, above another hole in the middle of another corridor. This is the block, used in Castle Necromoghan. The only problem is that I don't know, how to get int part of the block with animal scull-shaped switch without levitate. Also, there are 2 levers, which I don't know what for. I guess they may switch something, which allow player to cast levitate on himself.
In the block with a lot of teleporters there is a trapdoor, which opened by a switch in a small pantry with only teleporter leading from it. That block is very popular. It also used in Direnni Tower.
Another trapdoor in Direnni Tower (the starting hall with staiways) opened by a crank in one of the rooms upstairs.
The trigger, which opens something is always in the same block. So, you don't need to explore the whole dungeon to find switch, which opens something.

P. S.: There is a block with a large hall (it's square occupies the whole block), with a maze above it. There is truncated pyramid in the center of the hall. There are 4 foes, 4 trapdoors and 4 doors at the bottom of the pyramid. The doors are protected with strong locks (almost unpickable and unbreakable). There are quest locations under 2 of trapdoors. Ther are also 2 stone statues in the hall. One of the statues hides a quest location. Unfortunately, I don't know what to do with that block. I don't know neither how to open trapdoors and doors, nor how to move stone statue to access quest locations. Can anyone help?

P. P. S.: I found something. There are 2 stone statues on the platform above the pyramid, which looks just like those on the floor of the hall. One of them has a switch at its back. That switch moves the statue, which hides a quest location and opens doors at the bottom of the pyramid. There is a switch behind each of them. Three of those switches hurt player when activated. One of them opens one of the trapdoors. There is an elevator under the trapdoor. This elevator activates and starts moving up or down every time player steps on it. There is a quest location in the pit under the elevator. Whe player fell into the pit and walks, levitate is being casted on him. The same happens if the chain above pyramid is acivated. It seems there are some restrictions for using the chain.
The only question left is how to open second trapdoor to get into another quest location?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:42 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: TES Anthology
Something I've been meaning to ask is, what is the ideal city to live in? I don't just mean your favorite or most frequent, I mean which one has the best layout and proximity to essential services. I was looking this up and actually came across this archived fansite from 1997. It suggests Chesterwark, because the guild halls are all close to the central marketplace of the city, there are two high-end smiths in said marketplace, and it's a 1 hour trip to Newtower which has a poorest quality pawn shop that's ideal for selling off. Chesterwark also happens to be right next to the Rusty Ogre Lodge, which as you know is the best place to steal millions of gold worth of high end weapons. For these reasons, it's preferable to live and operate out of Chesterwark as opposed to Daggerfall City, since in the latter the guild halls are not as centrally located.

Does anyone know of any other cities similar to Chesterwark where everything you need is clustered close together? Are there any in the other provinces in the world?

Aldingbury in Menevia seems like it might be a good place to live, since it has several "best" quality smiths. However, the guild halls are located closer to the edges of the city, and the White Goat Lodge (one of the lootable inns) is a couple days away. Also, I can't for the life of me find a "poor" quality pawnshop in all of Menevia, though I only checked half the towns before giving up.

Santaki City is another possibility, since it has a best quality armorer. It's relatively close to Bubyrydata in the Alik'r Desert, which has a poor quality pawn shop that seems to offer more gold than others. It's also right on the border with the Dragontail Mountains, which has a lot of lootable inns.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:26 pm 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, BattleSpire, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Other Profiles: Daggerfella
So who else here thinks that this is perhaps one of the best Elder Scrolls games they have ever made? I think it's nearly on par with Morrowind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:13 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: I, II, III (all wip), Oblivion, Skyrim
UESPoints: 9
Whoop whoop, unless something goes terribly wrong, I'mma start playing today.