UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Stuck because I forgot where was the Agent of the Underking.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:21 pm 
Layman
Layman

UESPoints: 0
Hello,

I'm playing Daggerfall for the first time, and I've done a typical newbie mistake :oops:

I don't like to keep letters of appointment on me for several reasons (role playing, clean inventory, etc.), but because of this I'm now stuck in the main quest.

The fact is, I don't remember where was the Agent of the Underking I've met a few weeks ago (quest "Stronghold of the Blades") !
I've recovered the buckler he wanted (it was in the most labyrinthine dungeon I've ever done so far), but I can't give it back to him :S

If I remerber correctly, I think I've dropped the letter of the appointment precisely in the inn where the agent is (in front of a fireplace).

Is there a technical way to recover the position of the agent, or the position of the letter - or to read that letter outside of the game ?

*sigh* I've spent countless hours building my character and I'm depressed... Heck, no more role playing with letters - I will never ever try to burn them again !

Anyway,
thank you in advance for your replies.

PS: Of course, the quest log is useless - that's the first thing I've checked :cry:

Post subject: Re: Stuck because I forgot where was the Agent of the Underk
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:02 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

UESPoints: 1
Hmm, the only thing that comes to mind right now is to try remembering the place where you met the agent. According to the quest description, it must be somewhere in Sentinel. Try searching in every town that you have visited, and reload your game frequently in order not to exceed the time limit.

I'm not sure if the text of the letters that you receive are stored in the saved game, but you can also try a plain text search in the saved game folder by some keywords (again the exact text of the letter is given in the quest description here at the Wiki).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:25 pm 
Layman
Layman

Thank you for your advice MrFibble :)

I don't know what the *.atf files in my saved game fodler are for but I see some names of places when I open them with the notepad - maybe the agent is in one of these places...
I'll try and if it works I'll let you know.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:17 am 
Layman
Layman

Ok, I finally found the time to make a list of all the places named in the *.atf files, but either those places are not in Sentinel, or they are but the agent is not in, or I simply
don't know where they are : does anyone know in which town are "The Gist Residence" and "The Kingcroft Residence" ? Is there a list of all the residences of the game somewhere on the net ?

*sigh* I guess my last chance will be to visit EVERY towns of Sentinel and check the map each time I enter them to see if there are auto-written names of residences I would have already visited so far :(

...unless someone has a better solution ?

Thanks for suggestions :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:17 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

bobdakilla wrote:
*sigh* I guess my last chance will be to visit EVERY towns of Sentinel and check the map each time I enter them to see if there are auto-written names of residences I would have already visited so far :(

Hmm, if I understand that quest correctly the agent is going to wait for you in some different place from where you met him to get the quest, right?

If that is correct, the agent will be in some residence in a town which you have not visited yet.

You can (more or less) simplify your search by visiting a town and talking to the townsfolk. If you can ask them for directions to some kind of specific residence and/or person in the "Ask about" section, then this is probably the place and person you're looking for.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:01 pm 
Layman
Layman

MrFlibble wrote:
Hmm, if I understand that quest correctly the agent is going to wait for you in some different place from where you met him to get the quest, right?

No, I don't think so. What makes you say that ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:53 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

bobdakilla wrote:
What makes you say that ?

There's a note in the unofficial quest fixes page about this particular quest which says:
Quote:
S0000010
The door(s) to the house where the Agent of the Underking is staying are always locked. For characters without an Open spell or a sufficient lockpicking skill it might be difficult to get into the house without alarming the town guards.
The door(s) of the house are now unlocked for the duration of the quest.
The region where Castle Llugwych is located was added to the journal entry.

I assumed from this that you meet the Agent in a different place the first time, but I might be wrong.

At any rate, I suppose (but am not completely sure) that even if you have to return to the same place, the option to ask people for directions to the quest-related residence should remain until the quest is complete.

So you may try both asking people and looking for private residences that are marked on individual town maps that you have.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:32 pm 
Layman
Layman

The item of the quest (in my game it's a buckler) is in Castle Llugwych in Ykalon, but the quest giver (the agent) is in Sentinel (in a random building located in a random town).
I'm playing with the patch 2.13, so the door of the building (in my game it is a residence if I remember well) wasn't locked.

About NPCs, unfortunately there's no option in the menus to ask them about the agent or the place is waiting in - they only talk about the inns or residences located in their own trown, so they can't be of any help :(

Thanks for your suggestions anyway !

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:13 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

bobdakilla wrote:
About NPCs, unfortunately there's no option in the menus to ask them about the agent or the place is waiting in - they only talk about the inns or residences located in their own trown, so they can't be of any help :(

My idea was to ask people in every town in Sentinel. If you can ask a person in a particular town about some specific residence or person, that must be the person/place you're looking for. If not, move to the next town.

(That would only work if the option to ask for directions is not removed once you have found the agent in the first place. I can't be sure of that ATM.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:19 am 
Layman
Layman

MrFlibble wrote:
My idea was to ask people in every town in Sentinel. If you can ask a person in a particular town about some specific residence or person, that must be the person/place you're looking for. If not, move to the next town.

(That would only work if the option to ask for directions is not removed once you have found the agent in the first place. I can't be sure of that ATM.)

Oh, ok. Sorry, I had not understood the first time.

I will begin my search as soon as I find the time. I'll let you know how long it lasted.

Last edited by bobdakilla on Sat May 30, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:50 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Good luck! Hopefully it works out eventually!

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:39 pm 
Layman
Layman

After one year of forced abstinence (unfortunately I had a million more urgent things to do), I've finally been able to launch Daggerfall again. I've spent about 5 hours in Sentinel, visiting every single town... in vain.

Now, the thing is, I recently discovered the joy of writing my personal adventurer logs for every RPGs I play, and I definitely want to do the same with Daggerfall. That's why, in the end, I'm not upset by the fact of having to rebuild my character from scratch and restart the story.

:!: However, I hope this topic will serve as a warning for future adventurers - never EVER throw your letters of appointment away before you have completely finished the associated quest. :!:

Good luck and have fun !

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:08 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, Mac, iPad
Other Profiles: SeaGtGruff (Steam), TinklyGosling47 (Xbox)
UESPoints: 20
I know this is an old topic, but I'm necroing it because I'm currently having trouble with this quest, so I thought I'd add some comments of my own in case anyone else runs into problems with it. (Based on what I've seen by searching on the internet, this particular quest seems to be problematic for people.)

First of all, try to keep a saved game from before you receive this quest, if possible, in case you need to go back and start it all over from the beginning. I may end up having to do that myself, but hopefully not.

Second, the letter I got from the Agent mentioned a house by name-- the Gaersley Residence-- but when I traveled to the city and checked the letter again to refresh my memory, the name of the house in the letter changed to the Glull Residence. Fortunately, it came up in the available conversation topics with the new name, so I was able to find it. After I completed the quest and checked the letter to refresh my memory about where to return to, the name of the house had changed back in the letter to the Gaersley Residence! I went back to the Glull Residence, which was still marked on my map of the city, but the Agent was no longer there (see below). I don't know if anyone else will run into that issue, but I think I've seen similar name changes occur during a few side quests, so it might be something to be aware of.

By the way, I didn't run into any locked doors at the house, but I did have to search every single room in the house before I finally found the Agent-- although I discovered later that the room he was in was right by the front door, except I happened to skip that door when I entered the house and ended up going all around the house in a circular route that took me to the room through a different door.

Third, the distance between the city where the Agent is visiting and the location of the Stronghold of the Blades is rather far, and the Agent doesn't give you very much time to find the cursed item and return with it, so travel there as fast as you can and then save your game as soon as you get there. Don't overwrite that save, in case you need to go back to it after you've explored the Stronghold of the Blades and found where the cursed item is located, because if you end up taking too long to find it and get back to the Agent, you'll fail the quest. (That's what happened to me.)

Fourth, if you don't make it back to the Agent in time, he'll be gone from the house and you'll end up failing the quest. From what I've read, if you fail this quest then you won't be able to complete the Main Quest, so you'll be screwed. That's why I now try to keep at least three saves for every quest-- one from before I receive the quest (just in case I need to go back that far for some reason); one from after I've received the quest and have first arrived inside the target location (so I can make my way directly to the quest target once I've located it, in case the quest doesn't give me much time); and one or two more working saves while I'm exploring the location.

I'm hoping I won't have to go back to the middle of the previous quest-- the one about the painting-- but it may depend on how much time I need to spend resting inside the Stronghold to recover my health while fighting my way to the item, since I think I've got only a couple of extra days, plus travel time, to return to the Agent without failing the quest again.