UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Back to Daggerfall - some bugs
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:12 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Daggerfall
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: none
UESPoints: 0
Hi all,

Discovered the free Daggerfall download from Bethesda a couple of weeks ago and was delighted to dive back into a game I loved when I was a teenager.

So I've created a character I like a lot but I've been annoyed by 3 specific things and I don't know if they are bugs or something I'm doing wrong. Hopefully someone can help:

1. I got accidentally infected with Lycanthropy but it has made my character so awesome I wanted to keep it. I read about Hircine's Ring and spent a while finding the coven and raising the funds to summon Hircine (all successfully). I now have Hircine's Ring but annoyingly it doesn't seem to work at all. I still transform every full moon (although I can change back with no spell points used and don't change again) and still need to hunt the innocent - in fact in game I'm just on the quest to find out who caused the magical storm and I'm going to have to bail on it because I wont complete it with 4HP! Have I done something wrong here, are there any fixes?
2. I bought a ship. If I rest on it Guards attack me. This isn't supposed to happen, right? They are not daggerfall guards so I'm not bothered but one of the main advantages of a ship is that you can rest anywhere, right?
3. My letters (or some of them) have become unreadable. I have items in my inventory which say 'parchment' but they are not letters of credit and when I click 'use' I get 'you cannot use this item'. I know one of them was from the Dark Brotherhood (I've done a few murders, being a lycanthrope) but now I can't read it to see how to join.

These 3 things are quite annoying. I'd be delighted if there were fixes for them.

Cheers,

Post subject: Re: Back to Daggerfall - some bugs
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:53 pm 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Daggerfall, Battlespire, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: DOS, Xbox
Hey you might consider looking into the Daggerfall Unity port. it fixes a LOT of the bugs and it looks MUCH better too!

bob_e_s wrote:
1. I got accidentally infected with Lycanthropy but it has made my character so awesome I wanted to keep it. I read about Hircine's Ring and spent a while finding the coven and raising the funds to summon Hircine (all successfully). I now have Hircine's Ring but annoyingly it doesn't seem to work at all. I still transform every full moon (although I can change back with no spell points used and don't change again) and still need to hunt the innocent - in fact in game I'm just on the quest to find out who caused the magical storm and I'm going to have to bail on it because I wont complete it with 4HP! Have I done something wrong here, are there any fixes?

Funky. The artifacts sometimes don't work right. Time to go kill an innocent townie!

bob_e_s wrote:
2. I bought a ship. If I rest on it Guards attack me. This isn't supposed to happen, right? They are not daggerfall guards so I'm not bothered but one of the main advantages of a ship is that you can rest anywhere, right?

They aren't supposed to, but I've had it happen to me sometimes. Try resting inside the ship.

bob_e_s wrote:
3. My letters (or some of them) have become unreadable. I have items in my inventory which say 'parchment' but they are not letters of credit and when I click 'use' I get 'you cannot use this item'. I know one of them was from the Dark Brotherhood (I've done a few murders, being a lycanthrope) but now I can't read it to see how to join.

Those weren't ever letters; you just picked up some parchment somewhere. It's a useless item.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:09 am 
Layman
Layman

I've looked into the Unity thing a little, also some of the patches, but not really sure where to start.

The Hircine Ring does seem to mean I don't need to spend a day per month as a wereboar, but I still have to hunt the innocent. Not a huge problem but annoying.

I was below decks when I got attacked. Again, not a huge problem and an easy way to get some combat practice.

The letters have definitely gone - like I said I had one from the Brotherhood and my letter from Prince Lhotun has gone too. I wouldn't have just picked up parchment so something buggy is going on.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:44 am 
Layman
Layman

I managed to find a solution to all these issues myself - I'll post them just in case anyone else has the same problems.

Seems to me as if the Bethesda download is still riddled with bugs. I downloaded the DaggerfallSetup version (from the link on the wiki here) and that seemed to solve all of my ongoing bugs instantly (and it was very easy to copy/paste my savegames across so I could continue with them).

I wanted to try Unity though, but found that there were some issues with DaggerfallSetup and Unity, so if I was doing it again I'd use the Daggerfall version on the Unity site.

Now I'm just trying to get used to the differences in the interface on Unity!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:45 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

UESPoints: 1
bob_e_s wrote:
I managed to find a solution to all these issues myself - I'll post them just in case anyone else has the same problems.

Seems to me as if the Bethesda download is still riddled with bugs. I downloaded the DaggerfallSetup version (from the link on the wiki here) and that seemed to solve all of my ongoing bugs instantly (and it was very easy to copy/paste my savegames across so I could continue with them).

When you first installed the Bethesda version, did you apply the patch (it's in the same ZIP)? If not then you'd be playing the original 1.0 release which is indeed full of bugs.

Conversely, Daggerfall Setup installs the latest patched version with optional improvements out of the box.