UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fix for C0B00Y01
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:07 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

UESPoints: 1
Recently I downloaded Donald Tipton's TEMPLATE and poked around several Daggerfall quests. I decided to check if I'd be able to fix the missing dialogue from the Temple quest C0B00Y01 where you need to investigate a false prophet.

In this quest, you're first sent to the prophet's hometown and are tasked with asking the locals about him/her. However, both in unmodified Daggerfall and with DFQFIX (which restores some unused dialogue in other places in this quest), you get a cryptic response instead, which is actually what the quest giver is supposed to say should you fail the quest.

I decompiled the quest file, and the problem was in that the failed quest response and the dialogue about the prophet are both assigned the same message ID, with the game reading the quest failure line instead of the relevant responses. To restore the missing dialogue, I assigned a different ID to it and made the dialogue entry about the prophet point to it.

Note that the UESP Wiki entry on this quest, while acknowledging the error, says that
Quote:
If you ask an NPC about the prophet, you may be told:

"Say what you want about (prophet's name)'s religion, but (he/she)'s a persuasive writer."
"(Temple) is real nervous about having a revolutionary like (prophet's name) around."
"I read about (prophet's name)'s miracle in (his/her) tract. I must say, it's persuasive."

However, these are dialogue lines used as responses for the "Any news?" question during the quest. The responses to asking about the prophet are three completely different lines.

I uploaded the fixed version here: c0b00y01-fix.zip