UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Problem with official DaggerfallSetup-3.0.1.zip
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 4:40 pm 
Layman
Layman

UESPoints: 0
The most recent upload of DaggerfallSetup-3.0.1.zip from February 2024 as posted here has a major issue...

When you perform a custom installation, all of the unofficial fixes are greyed out and forced to be installed!

(I am apparently not allowed to post non-Elder Scrolls URL links here, or I would post a screenshot of the launcher showing the options greyed out. The pic is located at i dot imgur dot com slash VQ4J6p4.png.)

A number of them are of questionable utility, and certainly not something that should be forced on someone who might want to experience the original game, bugs and all. If nothing else, it's useful to have an unmodified experience for the sake of testing the original release and updating info on UESP.

The previous version, DaggerfallSetup-2.17.0.zip, is also no longer available, as it was hosted off-site.

I've already previously been concerned about one of the "unofficial fixes," DagSkills, and tried to bring it up to Daneel53 (maintainer of DaggerfallSetup). Basically, the program is described this way: "Allow attributes and skills to up to 200 naturally and become "master of Skill"." If it does what it says it does...that's not a fix. That's a mod that goes beyond what the developers ever would've intended. And now you are forced to install it.

In my opinion, DagSkills shouldn't even be sorted as an unofficial fix in the launcher, it should be sorted under unofficial mods/utilities.

Does anyone still have an unmodified DaggerfallSetup-2.17.0.zip so it can be restored? :(

Post subject: Re: Problem with official DaggerfallSetup-3.0.1.zip
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 4:17 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

UESPoints: 1
Sporky wrote:
Does anyone still have an unmodified DaggerfallSetup-2.17.0.zip so it can be restored? :(

I've never used DaggerfallSetup (although it incorporates one of my unofficial fixes), and I would suggest that you simply run the installation from the unmodified Bethesda freeware release yourself, using either DOSBox or 86box.

I would suggest taking DOSBox ECE over vanilla DOSBox, and configure it for either 33445 or 47810 cycles for smooth and errorless performance of Daggerfall by editing dosbox.conf:
Code:
cycles = auto 6075 98% limit 47810

From my experience, it is best to not use the no-CD hack, but create a normal medium-size installation of the game, then patch it to 1.07.213 with the Bethesda patch. You can then add unofficial fixes as you please, with full control over what you do.

It is also advised to patch FALL.EXE with DOS/32A to avoid memory errors. BTW, I do not suggest to give DOSBox more than 31 MiB of RAM, there is no performance gain to be had from the extra memory.

If you want to use 86box, I guess that you'll need a CD image of the game, because the copy protection requires the disk label. You can create an image using CD burning software.