UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Good open world RPGs (other than TES)?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:52 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 0
So, for the moment I don't feel like playing any TES game (or even Darklands), but I still have quite a sandbox RPG itch. Could anyone recommend any good ones? The age of the game is practically no consideration, since I started gaming in the 90's with a 286. Thus, I can handle relatively archaic graphics and interfaces. I'm thinking about buying the Baldur's Gate titles, since they seem to somewhat fit the bill, but the problem is that I tend to be pretty picky about what game I'll even try. So I'd like to find also something according to following criteria:

-medievalish, Greco-Romanish, Conan-like or renaissance-style fantasy (so no Fallouts)
-preferably party-based with real-time-and-pause combat (think Darklands), but single PC or turn-based is tolerable too
-at least some customising of the player character other than simply picking a class
-open or at least semi-open world
-preferably little class restrictions with equipment etc., but D&D style goes in a pinch too
-preferably something made before 2010. My PC is capable of running Skyrim in quite high settings, but it's still from 2009 so better to be safe than sorry.

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Good open world RPGs (other than TES)?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:16 pm 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO All DLC
Other Profiles: AKB (Doppelgänger)
UESPoints: 4985
Mount and Blade is a good, strong choice. Mind, I'd check out some mods for more fantastical settings, but I like the base game enough. You could also try Dark Souls, or Dragon's Dogma.

Thought for the day:

Success teaches us nothing; only failure teaches.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:28 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim (All PC)
Platform: PC, 3DS
UESPoints: 1
Dragon Age: Origins is great

Tyranny is pretty good too, though not as open. Made in 2016 though

Divinity: Original Sin is excellent. And this was made in 2014

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning more traditional open world, but not bad

Heard it here, folks!
Formerly known as FireAcolyte, but now twice as awesome
UESP's Burning Marshmallow

Last edited by Fiar on Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:28 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Everything 'cept ESO and Travels
Platform: Linux Personal Console
UESPoints: 16
Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, and Icewind Dale all seem pretty close to that definition, I think.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:23 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: TESO, Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Battlespire, Daggerfall, Arena
Platform: PC, PS3, PS4/VR
UESPoints: 4
Dragon Age: Origins/Inquisition sound like the best matches, but here's two more suggestions.

Divinity II: Developer's Cut
http://store.steampowered.com/app/219780/

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
http://store.steampowered.com/app/367500/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:29 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

UESPoints: 6
The Witcher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:18 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Thanks for the tips, guys! I looked up those games, and at least Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights look worth a shot. Might also give a second look to Dragon Age and Witchers, but the first time I read about those they didn't really appeal story-wise. As for Mount&Blade, Iäve long thought about buying it. Looks like with the budget I have it's either that or the Baldur's Gate plus Icewind or Neverwinter. Gotta go and see what kind of sales webstores have.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:00 pm 
Lord of the Shivering Isles
Lord of the Shivering Isles

ES Games: Oblivion:GOTY, Skyrim:Legendary edition
Platform: PS3.
UESPoints: 12
Dragon Age Origins is not really an open world RPG. It's more of a open location RPG. E.g. The city of Denerim is big whilst the first village you visit as part of the main quest is small. But it is worth playing. However, there are class restrictions. Not much and usually, the equipment that is class and spec restricted isn't that much. Combat is very tatical but requires some micromangement. The Rogue class, you be best off controlling a lot as the AI can be a bit daft. Plot is excellent and it is filled with a lot of content. Inquistion is action heavy and there is tons of filler quests. Tis 2014 and may not be supported by your system. Get the Ultimate edition of Origins. All the DLC is included. Don't do any of the DLC first. Do the game first and the DLC quests. Otherwise, it may spoil some things for you. DAII may push your system and whilst it isn't as good as Origins due to it's rushed development, it is a superb game. Not really as open as Origins but worth picking up.

Knights of the Old Republic may be worth looking into. Same with any retro(Man, that makes me feel a bit old) Bioware title.

It is worth checking out GOG.Com as they are bound to have a lot of stuff. I would recommend the Ultima series. They seem quite good(apart from 8 and 9) but i've not played them myselves. Tis from the 80s/90s era.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:07 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

The SheoDovah wrote:
(Man, that makes me feel a bit old).

LOL, join the club! I can still remember playing the original Doom when it was new. Blew my mind, really. Also, the first PC games I played were some 1980's Formula 1 game and Summer Olympics. Boy, did I and my brother punish the 286's keyboard when competing with each other in the cycling race portion.

But yeah, they made some really good games already then. Actually, my ideal game would be a remake of Darklands, but with graphics updated to, say, Silent Storm-level. Also, with expanded action options when in combat screen, cities that are actually unique and navigable (instead of series of textboxes) and most of the textbox actions turned to actual gameplay mechanics. That would be a dream, but sadly unattainable.

A dream, because that game really had excellent systems: a character creation with endless possible variations balanced by age and number of professions, very natural "leveling" (no real levels, but skills that increased with use), just the right amount of level-scaling, nice party system with passable combat controls, and of course the very appealing setting of 15th century Germany where every period-appropriate superstition and legend happens to be true. Plus, all of the Holy Roman Empire to freely roam about, with random encounter types and travel speed dicated by terrain. If not for the monotony of textbox cities and the limited selection of possible combat terrains, it would be a favourite on the level of Skyrim for me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:03 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

ES Games: I, II, III, IV, V. Once I caught a fish alive.
Platform: PC & Playstation
UESPoints: 20
I'd also throw my vote in for The Witcher (although you probably can't run 3 and maybe not 2 and it is best played as a series so I think you'd be better off waiting for like 5 years from now when you hypothetically have a better machine which can run all 3) Dragon Age: Origins and all the Infinity Engine Games. All of which can be found on GOG who are having a sale right now. But especially Planescape: Torment which is the best Infinity Engine game and is on sale on GOG right now for $4 so you should buy it. It doesn't have the best combat (Baldur's Gate 2 does) but it's the best of those 5 games.

I also think that you should play the Harebrained Schemes Shadowrun games and Fallout 1 & 2 anyway even though they don't meet your criteria because they're some of the best RPGs in existence. And classless isometric turn based fun times. The Shadowrun games are newer (2013, 2014 and 2015) but they aren't taxing so you should probably be able to run them.
---

Josh Sawyer of Obsidian Entertainment has wanted to make a Darklands/Ars Magica style RPG (so Late Medieval Period but folklore is real) for ages so if ever he gets his way you might get your wish.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:12 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: TESO, Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Battlespire, Daggerfall, Arena
Platform: PC, PS3, PS4/VR
UESPoints: 4
Kerr wrote:
Planescape: Torment which is the best Infinity Engine game and is on sale on GOG right now for $4 so you should buy it.

I just bought this on your recommendation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:15 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Kerr wrote:
All of which can be found on GOG who are having a sale right now. But especially Planescape: Torment which is the best Infinity Engine game and is on sale on GOG right now for $4 so you should buy it. It doesn't have the best combat (Baldur's Gate 2 does) but it's the best of those 5 games.

GOG indeed looks like a good place to look. I've bought just one game (King of the Dragon Pass) from them so far, but I like the selection and concept of that site.

Kerr wrote:
I also think that you should play the Harebrained Schemes Shadowrun games and Fallout 1 & 2 anyway even though they don't meet your criteria because they're some of the best RPGs in existence. And classless isometric turn based fun times.

Well, it's just that post-nuclear war settings aren't my thing, really. They tend to both bore and depress me. Same with settings with excessive deserts. But well, it's just a matter of taste really. According from what I've read, the Fallouts must be good games as games, it's just that the milieu has almost no appeal for me.

Kerr wrote:
Josh Sawyer of Obsidian Entertainment has wanted to make a Darklands/Ars Magica style RPG (so Late Medieval Period but folklore is real) for ages so if ever he gets his way you might get your wish.

Really? Well, got to keep an eye open for this, since if it ever gets realized it could be one of the best things ever. In the meanwhile I might give Drakensang a shot, even though it isn't really the same thing (judging from reviews at least). Still, it has medieval Germanesque setting, so can't be all bad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:47 am 
Warder
Warder

Risen and Gothic (Gothic 3, specifically).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:41 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind. Daggerfall
Mount & Blade Warband