UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Jimsterling Fan thread. Thank god for Jim Sterling.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:38 pm 
Lord of the Shivering Isles

ES Games: Oblivion:GOTY, Skyrim:Legendary edition
Platform: PS3.
UESPoints: 12
Thank god. For Jim Sterling.

It seems we have a decent amount of Jim Sterling fans so why not have a thread to discuss his works, boglins, the Homclus Cornflakes, topics he raised etc...

For those who don't know, Jim Sterling is a rather......unique journalist that does a weekly show called the Jimquisition. He tackles things that occur in gaming and uses a mixture of humour, images and talking to get his point across. He is also not very sane and at times, can be a bit unsafe for work. But check out his works.

So, peeps, let's discuss Jim [&@%!] Sterling, Son.

Post subject: Re: The Jimsterling Fan thread. Thank god for Jim Sterling.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:56 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim (All PC)
Platform: PC, 3DS
UESPoints: 1
Starting to think you have an unhealthy obsession with go- I mean, Jim Sterling.

Ok ok...Topic. Yeah, I never thought that watching a guy who waves around big floppy dangly parts would be apart of a weekly to daily tradition. I've certainly learned a bit from his shows on how stupid the gaming industry often is.

Heard it here, folks!
Formerly known as FireAcolyte, but now twice as awesome
UESP's Burning Marshmallow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:25 am 

Starting to think you don't have an unhealthy obsession with go-i mean, Jim Sterling. :P

I never thought i would watch a weekly show involving a brit doing a lot of silly stuff whilst being informative who has pogs, boglins, poglins, a half-man,half cereal sponsor, an inept intern(Shut up, Chip!) and a perchant for using anything to get a point across.

Have to admire his worth ethic. Not many people would let having their gall bladder removed stop from doing a weekly show.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:53 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

ES Games: I, II, III, IV, V. Once I caught a fish alive.
Platform: PC & Playstation
UESPoints: 20
I've watched Jimquisition on and off since he started on The Escapist. His first video was him saying bad things about Heavy Rain, a game I love and had low production values. I wasn't a fan. But he's improved a lot over the year. Leaving The Escapist was a great move. There are elements of his show I don't like, whatever that Conan thing is for example, and we can disagree a fair amount. But yeah, overall I'd say he's pretty good.

I'm not sure when he made the style change from Norsefire dictator to a like Carnival master but it's definitely a good one. It fits his eccentric style better for one thing but also, 'ironic' fascism is a style I have a real strong distaste for. New song is nice too. I'm now sure how his fans took that change but I'm assuming it was positive.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:20 am 

I think he said that he took the criticism and ramped up the egoistical side of the Jim Sterling character who was unaware of his flaws but there is a major difference between Early Jim and current jim. The conan thing, it gets the point across and probably the best thing of Steam Greenlight. Regarding the change, basically, American Politics disturbed him and he had been meaning to switch for a while. I'll thing.

The fans did adjust to the change and again, he took the feedback to heart. The first post tanks episode featured Transformer type transitions and he ditched it due to the feedback. I do dislike the video reviews but that's just because i can't view the bloody things due to data being [&@%!] then Digital Homicide.

I think we may be getting a #[&@%!] type thing soon as a result of their recent actions.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:49 am 
Layman
Layman

Platform: PS4
UESPoints: 0
I hadn't even heard of Jim Sterling before that whole Battlefront II debacle, but one of his videos on it must have come up on my recommended or something around then. He's great though, I'm a sucker for sarcasm; and sarcasm for the greater good of the gaming world? Even better.

(Old thread, but oh well; just call me a necromancer.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:04 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: I, II, III (all wip), Oblivion, Skyrim
UESPoints: 9
I forget the rules for necroposting, but you're not doing it yet!

Also, KHAJIIT! You like Jim Sterling? Oh dear.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:38 am 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox
Other Profiles: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
UESPoints: 14
*In before Dov has a chance to preach his fandom*

I like and frequent alot of his videos I.e the Jimquisition, even if I don't always agree with his more negative opinions on the gaming industry(but a good balance to the overly optimistic part of Extra Credits). He also has a good line up of episodes to watch, tho I must admit, plenty of his content has a cringe-factor(which is probably what some of his fans love, I dont) he also has other, more frequent videos that I really don't bother with

But ya, it's nice to know alot of what's happening in the gaming industry, both behind the scenes and up front. Let's you appreciate some of the stuff out there(or not, if your [Insert Publisher here])

PS: I know this is off topic, but Extra Credit also sports a series of Historic events with splendid entertainment value. If your a history buff(i.e Cassandra :wat: ). It's totally right up your alley.. Unless your struggling for the free time to sit down and watch em(i.e also Cassandra)

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:05 am 
Layman
Layman

Platform: PS4
UESPoints: 0
Haha, never heard of them before; I'll check it out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:39 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: All of 'Em
Platform: PS4, PC
Other Profiles: PSN: Unionhack, Steam: Unionhack
UESPoints: 13
If you're a fan of snippy snarky sarcasm on the gaming front, Cr1tikal (on YouTube as penguinz0) is a great watch as well. I don't necessarily like a lot of what his channel has been the last couple months, but his backlog of stuff is hilarious. He likes to go and play a lot of crappy, obscure Steam games and peppers it with super deadpan commentary. I'd recommend him to most folks.

Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:59 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox
Other Profiles: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
UESPoints: 14
So there's been some talk on everything that spreading around the gaming circles, which is.. Interesting :wat:
:
I don't know who started it all, but I specifically recall the folks from Extra Credits(great folks, love their work) making a video discussing the prices of AAA games now and why additional monetization is somewhat a necessary result.

Which, if you can't guess <_< probably didn't sit well with alot of folk, since they practically were defending microtransactions and dlc, in a sort of bare-to-the-facts devil's advocate sort of way(and they already said they'll be coming back with a continued episode about lootboxes specifically). Which is funny, bc the fans basically asked Jim to make a comment on that <_< which he did, on his lastest Jimquisition

Which is weird, bc honestly >_> contrary to what his fans may have thought, I think he's on a similar agreement, not against <_< I mean sure, both have polar bias and attitudes, but neither straight up approves of predatory practices. Something Jim has tackled in spades and EC touch up on when necessary. It's like seeing a good cop, bad cop routine but not everyone is privy enough to notice their still both cops on the same side

Now, did I wish the folks over at EC talked a bit more about corporate greed and how that plays into alot of the problems(i.e double, triple, quadruple dipping). Sure, sure, but I can agree it doesn't exactly fit devil's avocation explanation on why certain trends exist. Plus, they still got one more video to go, which I have no doubt will tackle the do's, the don'ts, and anger behind lootboxes.

And ya, I sort of gotta agree, game prices should have rised with inflation. But they aren't, at least, not directly(insert silver, gold, platinum pre-order editions) In retrospect, would I have gladly paid $15 more if it meant predatory practices and [&@%!] wouldn't have been so dominate? Hell ya. Even if it's just a pipe's dream. But there's already alot more I wish had been done. Cheaper digital editions due to less resources? Content being cut from the base game to be used for pre-orders and dlc? The current Publisher unrealistic business model? Fee to pay games being allowed to exist in the first place? But for now, I'll just have to be content when good devs use certain practices in a pro-consumer way and call out [&@%!] for when I see it

But ya, things seem to have spread out to other circles now so I'm curious to see how the discussion develops.. Or devolves into a pool of toxicity.. You never know<_<

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]