UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Avengers: Infinity War
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:38 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Oblivion
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: n/a
UESPoints: 0
Anyone here who have already seen the movie?
Geez, the long queue is worth the wait. Heroes collide in protecting the universe, plot, and humor is perfect, and God the visual effects is to die for. I have seen the movie in 3D and I really love it. I really hate Star-Lord and Thanos for being self-centered.

Post subject: Re: The Avengers: Infinity War
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:51 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, Mac, iPad
Other Profiles: SeaGtGruff (Steam), TinklyGosling47 (Xbox)
UESPoints: 20
I still haven't seen Black Panther, and I'd like to see that before Avengers: Infinity War.

To be honest, I haven't enjoyed the Avengers movies as much as most everyone else has seemed to. They're certainly well-made and well-acted; that isn't the problem I have with them. It's the excessive amount of non-stop fast-paced action that gets to me-- it's kind of mind-numbing, and you're hardly able to savor the effects and cinematography and acting because almost every scene seems to be whiz-bang-smash, blink-and-you'll-miss-it, as though the projectionist has the projector running in fast-forward. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I want to see them show all of the action sequences in slow-motion, with the same explosion, punch in the face, and hero leaping sideways through the air while firing a machine gun from each hand being shown four or more times in succession from different angles-- gawd, I hate that. But neither do I want to have to stop the movie, rewind it, and rewatch a scene in slow motion just so I can see what the heck just happened.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:41 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Other Profiles: discord: @inr#2535
UESPoints: 10
IW was good minus the ending because:

Spoiler:
It was just played way too safe, and that undermines the stakes they spent the entire film generating. It seems crushingly obvious that the characters killed by Thanos at the end will return (probably inside the next 60 minutes of IW2), so the ending feels quite hollow. They were also very conscious in not killing any of the biggest hitters: Iron Man, Captain America, Thor are all alive.

Quote:
[...] [Thanos is selfish] [...]

Thanos is probably the least selfish of the lot. He's doing this not for the sake of his own power, but because he feels the universe requires it--and he's willing to sacrifice anything for that end. I think it's just the execution that lets him down and that's why we don't understand that like we might for Eric Killmonger (who's fantastic).

Also, Black Panther is probably the best film of the lot, so you should definitely go and see that.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:30 am 
Goatmom/Moderator
Goatmom/Moderator

UESPoints: 88
It was pretty boring, imo. The fight scenes are fun and the jokes are funny, but everything else just kinda falls flat.

Thor: Ragnarok had a point. It tried to tell you something. Infinity War doesn't even try to do that (don't tell me a big bald eggplant with a notched chin thinking overpopulation is killing the galaxy is a commentary on morals because I will bite you) and taking out all the possible emotional impact by making absolutely sure we all know that none of them actually matter. Thanos is a boring supervillain, and Infinity War is imo, a boring film with good individual scenes mixed in. It's not a comprehensive work, it's just a big pile of lots of stuff happening in quick succession and making you go "oh wow yeah I see".

On company time

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:42 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

ES Games: I, II, III, IV, V. Once I caught a fish alive.
Platform: PC & Playstation
I liked it a lot. Of course I'm pretty fond of the MCU in general. Well, for the most part, half of it is kinda meh (Ant-Man and Doctor Strange are movies that exist) or actively bad (Avengers 2, Iron Man 2, Thor 2.) But I enjoyed how the action here did a lot with powers that isn't just "have a big punch fight with the purple man" the five plot lines all followed on pretty smoothly, I don't think the film felt mismatched or like it dragged because of it. It made good use of the Avenger's theme in the scene where Captain America shows up. Likewise, none of the characters seemed off, which was something I was worried about (particularly with the Guardians) given how bad Joss Whedon was with that, especially in the mess that was Age of Ultron. No character in that film followed on from how they'd behaved previously.

Thematically, yeah, there's not a tonne going on. Which is what I think is the biggest issue. Like, the best MCU movies (Thor Ragnarok, Winter Soldier, Black Panther, Guardians 2) are up there in large part because they genuinely did have quite a bit going on thematically that was interesting. Now, a film about how superheros can fight aliens but seem to do little about like, ecological collapse/global inequality, a problem you can't just punch into submission, that could be great. But the only people who think overpopulation is the problem are those who either don't know or don't care about exploring the topic. A hope for Avengers 4 is a character explaining to Thanos why his plan isn't just morally wrong but actually won't work.

Re: Velvet's Spoilers
Spoiler:
I mean, the object central to the plot is a gauntlet full of magic rocks that can alter reality. So it's not like they're pulling it out their ass in that regard. As much as I would like to see them follow through on 50% of the universe actually being dead, killing off characters who don't have sequels in the works, big comic book universes very rarely actually follow through on things like that.

I still feel that at the time, the impact on Tony of Peter dying in his arms, crying, apologizing to his father figure and begging to live along with just their total failure is still pretty impactful even if they do undo it.

Also RIP Loki and Heimdall. Actually am glad they didn't decide to follow up that brotherly relationship in Ragnarok with Loki becoming evil again. Although is unfortunate that after the film where they finally let Heimdall do something, he dies. Brunhilde joins Sif in the realm of Asgardians that are MIA. Poor Asgardians, Earth might get fixed but you're still gonna be screwed.

I know Avengers 4 isn't "The End" but I hope it will be an end. It's certainly feeling like it. Retire all the original avengers, don't make any more avengers movies (although I'd love to see Young Avengers, but that's not really the same thing) and move forward with everything being slower/more distant. It's like how once Logan came out, I never wanted them to make another X-Men movie. But Disney want to own all the money in the universe so, that probably won't happen.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:04 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Oblivion
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: n/a
I am looking forward to seeing Captain Marvel. Thanos did stress the sh*t out of me.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:12 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
I forgot that I haven't seen Thor: Ragnarok yet, either. I've been trying to catch it on TV but apparently it's still in the "if you want to see it right now then you need to pay to rent it on demand" zone. I'd have thought that it would have already hit the "see it right now on HBO or Showtime or TMC or Starz" zone by now, but no such luck.

Of course, it's not absolutely necessary to see T:R and BP before A:IW, but I'd still like to. :(

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:06 pm 
Champion
Champion

I'm not good with long reviews or anything so bear with me.

I loved the movie and it was well worth the wait.

Thanos might now be the closest to The Joker to me as far as my favorite villans.
Thanos was absolutely awesome. Intelligent and crazy powerful. No interest in wealth, and even an emotional soul. For all the critics I read who say otherwise are too far up their own ass to just take him for what he is.

Speaking of critics, I've read alot of negative and picky criticisms to this movie I dont understand. If they could've made a better movie, why didn't they. This movie was 2 an a half hours of me not getting bored, forgetting all of my real world problems/situations, and getting fully engulfed in a whole other universe. I felt happiness, humor, sadness, anticipation, and suspense. What more can you ask for? Hell, I love transformers, but after an hour I'm bored and wondering if we can wrap this up. With avengers infinity war, I was just about an hour in and said there was only an hour left.

As for any criticism I have about the movie its this:

My ultimate gripe is knowing that there will be a 2nd movie, or 2nd part.
I feel that this movie, and maybe all upcoming movies in general are facing the same problem my beloved WWE is facing.
The internet.
If IW came out without the knowledge of a part 2, the ending would have hit home so much harder.
The fact we all knew there would be a part 2 kinda takes away from it.

With that said, if you can just take the movie for what it is, and not try to look ahead to part 2, then as a standalone movie this is FANTASTIC.
I thought it was funny, emotional, and action packed.
Seeing all of the superheros mingle with each other in random groupings was so cool.

As for part 2, I dont know who the hell
Spoiler:
captain marvel
is, but then again I saw black panther without knowing him and I left the movie very happy.

For my last note, wtf Hulk...
I pray we see world breaker hulk in part 2. Just poke that hulk lion one too many times and hulk wakes up and tears the [&@%!] out of everyone.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:18 pm 
Champion
Champion

HatofMadness wrote:
My ultimate gripe is knowing that there will be a 2nd movie, or 2nd part.
I feel that this movie, and maybe all upcoming movies in general are facing the same problem my beloved WWE is facing.
The internet.
If IW came out without the knowledge of a part 2, the ending would have hit home so much harder.
The fact we all knew there would be a part 2 kinda takes away from it.

Well, I didn't know-- but I do now. ;) Anyway, with a lot of movies it's virtually a given that there will be some sort of sequel, or prequel, or sidequel, or reboot, or rereboot, etc.-- unless the movie performs terribly at the box office, which apparently means it makes less than a zillion dollars since movies that earn several million are referred to as "flops"-- because all the studios care about is making lots and lots and lots of money for the shareholders, so anything that's a "hit" is guaranteed to be milked for whatever it's worth as long as the studios think a lot of people want to pay big bucks to see it during opening weekend.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:25 pm 
Champion
Champion

MARS wrote:
It was pretty boring, imo. The fight scenes are fun and the jokes are funny, but everything else just kinda falls flat.
".

You really have not changed a damn bit

Respectable I reckon.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:42 pm 
Goatmom/Moderator
Goatmom/Moderator

UESPoints: 88
Haha, I guess not.

I thought it was funny, does that count? The jokes are pretty good.

On company time