UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:51 am 
The New Number Two
The New Number Two

ES Games: Mw, Ob, Sk
UESPoints: 1
The-Shadow-One wrote:
Clara could die all she wants. Isn't what she did to herself was integrate herself through out all of the doctor's life, at least to counteract the Intelligence wasn't it?

i think so, all the 'saving the doctor' stuff has happened in her own personal time line already so there's no reason why the doc can't drop her back to her stationery cupboard, say bye bye and they never talk to each other again

Spoiler:
if she did die though, and Doc Capaldi met her later whilst she's saving his life in his future, and he accidentally notices her and it all comes back because he saw her die and the music swells to encompass the emotional turmoil of being a timelord blessed and cursed with short lived human companions who you get so attached to but they always die, especially if you over feed them and they develop health conditions... wait that's owning a dog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:15 pm 
Lord of the Shivering Isles

ES Games: Oblivion:GOTY, Skyrim:Legendary edition
Platform: PS3.
UESPoints: 12
Hidden:
They had a good idea and they deleted the damn potential. Moffat, why did you turn it into "Oh, the doctor is just a man that is afraid of the dark?" I mean, you had a good thing going but no, you just had to [&@%!] up with the ending. Bad Moffat. Very bad. Also, were they trying to link Clara to the doctor before he became the doctor? If so, i will be labelling her as one massive plot device. Thankfully, they are not turning her into a mary sue.(Yet)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:35 pm 
The New Number Two
The New Number Two

just saw the heist one, havent watched robot of sherwood though

Spoiler:
I thought getting an oceans eleven type plot into a hour was a bit of a tall order, and tbh it was a bit chaotic but in a bad way. I wonder if the writers need to get their teeth into 2 hour adventures. The wail of the music kicking as the episode finished on a cliff hanger was usually the most dramatic and quintessentially doctor who part of the show
A bit more exploration of the situation and characters in the bank would have been cool. The memory loss thing was a convenient way of sidestepping this i suppose
The doc's reaction to seeing the cyborg and shape shifter survive even though he kind of pushed the 'suicide pills' onto them was interesting, he seemed genuinely relieved lol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:54 pm 

Spoiler:
Yeah, it was a bit of a naff episode.. It had potential and it would have been very interesting if they hadn't revealed that it was a future Calapadi that had set it up and could have linked it to that mysterious woman but instead, it was just the Doctor using himself. Shame they put little to no effort into the bank heist itself. Also, i know this is inapporiate but screw it. Clara looked very hot and it looked like she was going to have a naughty meeting with Mr Pink.

Speaking of which, i'm looking forward to the next episode and hopefully, they will throw in some real weight behind Clara's situation and it'll be interesting to see how Calapadi will play the Doctor playing a normal human. Sadly, it seems it'll will be a typical Doctor goes undercover to stop big bad X instead of The Doctor is an [&@%!] that just wants companionship and sometimes doesn't realise that humans have daily boring lives(boring in his eyes) that they prefer to focus on.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:48 am 
The New Number Two
The New Number Two

Matt Smith and David Tenent were both energetic enthusiastic doctors whith issues yes but yuou knew what pushed their buttons

i dont get a sense of Capaldi Doc at all - what does he like, is he just going through the motions of being clever, if a bit callous (which is fine, plenty of Dr Who's have been like that, in fact Smith and Tenent were pretty much the first ones to properly wear "save the humans" t shirts, as it were)

there's something missing, it was another episode where they avoided the situation where we meet him as a 'real person'

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:02 pm 
The New Number Two
The New Number Two

'The Caretaker' was bonkers but i liked it a lot, i suppose they read my last post and went back a few months in time to make an episode with 3 solid roles and lots of character development

8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:16 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

ES Games: I, II, III, IV, V. Once I caught a fish alive.
Platform: PC & Playstation
UESPoints: 20
Spoilers for Dark Water.
Spoiler:
So, turns out Missy is the Master. I thought that might be the case but it was still a pretty good reveal. Also maybe this will finally stop people saying Time Lords can't change sex, even though we already knew that due to The Corsair and Night of The Doctor.

The Master loves The Doctor stuff is even more obvious now, they even kissed. Well people have been shipping them for decades. I don't think that the way The Master was portrayed in the past was incidental anyway, it's pretty clear they love The Doctor. Maybe not in a sexual way, but at least on some level.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:22 pm 

Spoiler:
The reveal is the only thing that made me go "I [&@%!] knew it! out loud! Seriously, in the history of the rebooted series, i've not actually said that out loud despite the plot twists. Also, kudos to Moffat for doing that as Mistress is a good villian despite her not really doing anything until Dark Water. But i hope they will address The Master's existence as he used up all of his life in the End of Time by fighting the Timelords. That said, this is the Master we're talking about and death doesn't apply to him. It is good to see the Cybermen in the series finale without the Daleks and i do hope that the Doctor is forced to make a very dark choice as i feel it would suit the 12th Doctor.

I have a feeling that Jack will show up again along with certain characters from 11th's tenure on the show. I [&@%!] hope that River Song does not turn up and saves the day as i feel that her story ended with 11. Ok, it techincally ended with 10 but a majority of her story was with 11. Also, i dislike her as she is dangerously close to a mary sue and i would even dare say that she is a mary sue.

For Calpadi's first series, it's been rather good and it definitly beats a few of Smith's series. The writing has given Calpadi more to work with and I'm glad Moffat has decided to scale back his involvement with the writing. He has written a few episodes but if i remember correctly, a majority of the episodes were written by other members of the writing team.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:50 pm 
Mod On Leave
Mod On Leave

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox, PC, STD
Other Profiles: Gamertag: MightyGo0dLeadr
UESPoints: 15
Has this really not been posted in since last year!? Wow.

My wife has recently started watching Doctor Who, starting with the Ninth Doctor. It's fun to watch her watch and see her reactions to everything. She loves the stylistic choices so far, and the theme of space/time exploration. At the end of the season she texted me "The Doctor changed!" So fun.

She's also planning on decorating her classroom with a space theme and including aspects of Doctor Who in it, including decorating a structural column in her wall as the TARDIS. Going to be so fun!

Anyway, I've only seen the first episode of the last season, and the rest of it comes to Netflix and Hulu next week. I'll probably be binge watching throughout the month. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:57 pm 

Basically, Musicman, Number 12 is a bit of a grouchy old man that does it his way. It's a far better season and whilst some episodes are a bit lacklustre or have that one "Oh [&@%!] off," moment, it's far better then Smith's first season.

Also, Capaldi's second season is due to happen soon! :D Hopefully, Moffat will continue to let others write and not hog it all to himself as i think that what caused a majority of Smith's episodes to be a bit "oh god" and "Oh [&@%!] off" with a dash of "MARY SUE! [&@%!] OFF! I HATE THIS, HATE THIS, MAKES NO SENSE! [&@%!] YOU RIVER YOU WALKING PLOT DEVICE! AAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGGGH"

Ahem,

I think it's safe to say i hate River Song because she is a mary sue.

I do hope Jack will return soon and the Doctor's Daughter will return as they are doing nothing with them. I think they wanted to give the daughter a spin off but couldn't get the funding approved or felt it wasn't worth it. Torchwood is dead thanks to the average whatever it was called. I mean, i literally guessed the entire plot twist by the end of the second episode and it made no [&@%!] sense as Jack is a fixed point in time not part of planet earth! What the [&@%!] were they thinking? Seriously? Just [&@%!] you Torchwood writers of [&@%!] day! [&@%!] YOU AND YOUR [&@%!] PLOT!

Ahem, sorry. I seem to be growing an inner angry critic. :O

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:52 pm 

Just seen the first advert for it on BBC3 and it looks like this will be an excellent season! It starts on 19th September in the UK. I'm unsure if BBC broadcasts it on BBC america during the same run period or does it later down the line but it is worth watching!
Spoiler:
Hidden:
Things i spotted:
Daleks, Daleks are back in force! It may just be old Rusty but there was more then one.
The erm... big red things with suckers are back.
Missy is alive and well and is either helping the Doctor or not.
It seems that someone will betray the doctor as it ends with him going "it was you?".
He plays a guitar.
Massive Dalek city so it could potentially be the season where the Doctor is hell bent on finding Galliephrey and the Daleks are in his way or he accidentally lets the Daleks know where the timelords are.
Potentially Cybermen appearances in the form of a new Cyberman.
Clara is still in but i think Jenna Coleman had a change of heart and decided to continue with the series.
The tag line for the advert was Born to Save the Universe so either this is going to be cheesy(hopefully not) or this will be a dark season. That said, i think i spotted an older Amy Pond.

[&@%!], just forgot what else i spotted.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:23 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

Hell yeah I'm looking forward to it coming back.

But no, I don't think Moffat is a great showrunner, he was much better at writing individual episodes. Also back then he'd have an editor and producer above him in case he did anything silly. A good example of poor continuity on Moffat's part is The Doctor's regenerations. In Let's Kill Hitler The Doctor is alone with the TARDIS who tells him that he's dying because he's been poisoned. And the Doctor is like cool, regeneration time then. And the TARDIS tell him that no, it's super poison so you can't regenerate. But wouldn't they both know he can't regenerate anyway? Well no, because Moffat hadn't come up with the War Doctor yet. Also the Doctor acts really weird sometimes like how 11 forcefully kisses Rory and Jenny without consent. I just don't see sexual assault as something The Doctor would do.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:37 pm 

I agree. Moffat's stories for a few of Smith's seasons were [&@%!]. I mean, rebooting the universe? River [&@%!] Song being a deus ex machina on more then one occassion? Rory coming back from non-existence? Just no. I think Moffat may have been forced to let others write for Calpadi's first series either by Calpadi himself or the higher ups as i have heard he is not the type to put up with any [&@%!].

Also, River Song needs to never appear in Dr Who again. Sorry, i just really hate the mary sue on steroids that is River Song.

Thinking about the War Doctor, he doesn't really fit in. I know it's something Moffat had to do at the last moment due to Christopher E-who's last name i can't spell couldn't return as the 9th doctor due to him being unavailable but John Hurt did a wonderful job as the War Doc.... ok, now i've realised the name is very lazy. The War doctor? Seriously? All Moffat did was put two letters in front of the Doctor's name.

Also, Clara fires an RPG at something. I really hope there is a damn good reason for her being turned into someone that can fire an RPG without any trouble!

As for the forced kiss, yeah, i think Moffat didn't realise that it was sexual assault and believed that it was one of Smith's quirks. Shame that he almost ruined Smith's run as the doctor with [&@%!] season stories.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:44 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

John Hurt was great. But if they couldn't get Christopher Eccleston they could have always gone for Paul McGann who before The War Doctor showed up everyone just assumed was The Doctor during The Last Great Time War. You don't need to regenerate to change as a person. Although I did like Night of the Doctor.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:53 pm 

That would have been perfect and would tie up the 8th Doctor's story instead of killing him off in a rather crap way. I mean, yes, he had a bit of a [&@%!] run due to BBC politics and not even getting his own series but he had a very successful comic run. And i just remembered that Russell T. Davies destroyed all of the comic book companions by forcing everything to be in line with the current series. :(

It would have shown us the Doctor's slow descent into the War doctor if they did it via comic books or a few episodes and would have given Mcgann the perfect chance to show his take on the doctor again.

I liked Night of the Doctor and whilst i felt that Smith's end was a bit cheap, it did resolve the whole limited regeneration process. Although, i swear that it was very vague and they could have gotten away with not really addressing it. Thankfully, Moffat did not force in River Song's "Sacrifice" by giving him a whole new regeneration cycle. I also suddenly want to punch something.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:57 pm 

It begins on this Saturday! And I am not looking forward to it. I feel nothing towards it. :-/ Either MGS is responsible for that or i'm just not feeling it.

Apparently, Mistress is in the first episode, which is a bit of a waste but I hope they do a damn good job of explaining last season's thing it did with her.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:37 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

I question why they had us think they died in the first place. Nobody, nobody thought that they were going to stay dead, Maybe Moffat just goes into withdrawals if he goes too long without killing a character in Doctor Who only to have them almost immediately come back to life.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:47 pm 
Mod On Leave
Mod On Leave

Going to the theater tonight to watch the last two episodes of the past season (half season?) in 3D! 5 of us going, each dressed as a different Doctor. Well, I'm going to try. I got stuck with the War Doctor. I may just go as Rory or something instead >_>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:33 pm 

They done [&@%!] it up! [&@%!] River Song is back! Sorry, sorry.

Anyway, hope you have fun, Musicman!

Also, Jenna Coleman has quit(again) so it seems that Clara will die or leave or disappear. Hopefully, someone other then moffat handles this as knowing him, he'll probably turn her into another plot device. River song was [&@%!] confirmed in the press release.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:03 pm 
Mod On Leave
Mod On Leave

Actually decided to go as Captain Jack Harkness instead. bought a Vortex Manipulator and everything. Just need the jacket, but that's probably going to be impossible with such short notice. Oh well. Slacks, dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up, and suspenders will have to do.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:45 pm 

And hitting on everything in sight. Just try not to get arrested. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:44 am 
Mod On Leave
Mod On Leave

But that's just what I do normally. :-/

Had a great time, though!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:21 am 
Undecided
Undecided

ES Games: Oblivion (SI); Skyrim (DB)
Platform: Steam, XBox
Other Profiles: DarkSpark135
UESPoints: 5
You need a bloke with a passing resemblence to John Simm, then have him dress up as Sam Tyler. Throw folks for a loop.

Casandra: At the moment, the deadliest weapon at my disposal is a goblin's head on a stick. I'd be worried if this was the plan.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:33 pm 

Then punch the person, knock them out and steal all of their cash! What?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:23 am 
Undecided
Undecided

ES Games: Oblivion (SI); Skyrim (DB)
Platform: Steam, XBox
Other Profiles: DarkSpark135
UESPoints: 5
No. You have them hit by a speeding car.

Casandra: At the moment, the deadliest weapon at my disposal is a goblin's head on a stick. I'd be worried if this was the plan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next