UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:14 pm 
Lord of the Shivering Isles

ES Games: Oblivion:GOTY, Skyrim:Legendary edition
Platform: PS3.
UESPoints: 12
Then use their body as a power source?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:41 pm 

First episode
Spoiler:
Holy [&@%!].

Daleks return, Davros is alive(somehow) and Missy is alive despite being destroyed. Basically, Missy freezes planes in time to get Clara to meet with her to find the Doctor, who is having a massive party in the middle ages and brings a freaking tank to an axe battle. He also invents the word Dude(read:gets people to use it way too early in human history. He seems to be in a don't give a [&@%!] mode.) Davros has his man find the Doctor to bring him to him so that he could see the Doctor before he dies. Yeah, Davros is dying after they brought him back. Bit odd, but may be part of the trap. Missy and Clara are with him. They are killed(Read:Not really as Moffat does not have the guts to off Clara in the first episode and well, Retconing Missy's death just to kill her off is a dumb move) and it turns out that the Doctor could have saved Davros as a child(this is shown in the intro) He pretty much has a "Oh [&@%!]." moment and flees leaving Davros to die. The episode ends with him pointing a gun at Davros after losing Missy and Clara. No doubt, he won't kill Davros. Missy and Clara are somehow brought back via timey wimey stuff because Moffat is a bit crap at doing stuff like this. Also, Miss(aka The Master) seems to be a right idoit as she tries to freaking reason with the Daleks True, they could use a captured Tardis to destroy everything in the past, present and future but this is the fricking Daleks! Destroying the Tardis is a bigger thing for them then allowing a timelord to live. I do expect a Dues Ex Machina or something that's a bit meh to happen in the next episode as well, Moffat's history of writing himself into a corner is fairly common.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:50 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

ES Games: I, II, III, IV, V. Once I caught a fish alive.
Platform: PC & Playstation
UESPoints: 20
Spoiler:
You just answered your own question. The Tardis, Clara and Missy aren't going to stay dead. If they even are dead.

Also Missy not being dead isn't really a retcon. It would be like saying Gandalf not being dead in The Two Towers was a retcon.

The episode referenced Genesis of the Daleks quite a bit, I could tell the planet was Skarro from the start because of all the different kinds of tech people had, a plot point in Genesis of the Daleks. I haven't seen much Classic Who but I have seen Genesis of the Daleks and it was good, it's worth watching. It's about the Time Lords sending The 4th Doctor back in time to prevent the creation of the Daleks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:39 pm 
Undecided
Undecided

ES Games: Oblivion (SI); Skyrim (DB)
Platform: Steam, XBox
Other Profiles: DarkSpark135
UESPoints: 5
The word "dude" is a diminutive of "doodle" and is not quite as modern as modern people think.

Casandra: At the moment, the deadliest weapon at my disposal is a goblin's head on a stick. I'd be worried if this was the plan.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:22 pm 

Hidden:
I know, I was getting the post out asap whilst the episode was fresh in my mind. It's already out that Missy will return due to the actress confirming she is in for a few episodes and whilst I can see Coleman being killed off in this episode if she had quit but that's not the case. Did not know about genesis of the Dalek. By retcon, Kerr. I mean the finale of series 8 instead of this episode. But the Master is not one to stay dead and he just refuses to stay dead. Whilst I was very fond of the Simms Master, who was pretty much allowed to go over the top without much restraint, Missy is a rather fun take on the character and well, it's interesting seeing another side to the Master.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:26 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

The relationship between The Doctor and The Master is basically this Hark! A Vagrant comic.
Hidden:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:08 pm 

Soon, there be little doctor babies in the Tardis and the Timelord race is reborn as the Daster or the Moctor.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:43 pm 

Episode 2 was fantastic and had a lot of surprises!
Spoiler:
Clara and Mistress used a science trick to avoid being Exterminated(I forgot what they said but I did not see that coming). It's revealed that Skaro was rebuilt by the Daleks instead of being there from the Timewar. The Doctor is tricked into doing, probably the most stupid thing he can do or at least, it seems that way! He gives regeneration energy to the Dalek Hivemind, which Davros uses to keep himself alive although how he survived the events of the End of the World are never address. I suspect it's just the ol' emergency teleport at hand. Turns out the Doctor knew Davros's plan all along and tricked him into letting him give the older Daleks regeneration energy and then, the older generation is really [&@%!] off so they exterminate the rest of the daleks. Oh and Clara is trapped in a Dalek and Missy tries to get the doctor to kill her. I'm skipping parts of the episode I know but these are what I feel are the main points. I do wonder if Moffat was foreshadowing Clara's fate back in Asylum of the Daleks or if it's a call back or originally how Moffat wanted to kill her off.

For a Moffat, episode, it is pretty good. :) Missy is not dead as well, it's Missy and Missy refuses to stay dead. Although how she survived the end of the last season has yet to be addressed as no-one can really survive being blown into tiny pieces. Not even a Timelord but I suspect Missy is not just a timelord. Next episode looks like it could be a bit cheesy but it also looks interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:46 pm 
Undecided
Undecided

ES Games: Oblivion (SI); Skyrim (DB)
Platform: Steam, XBox
Other Profiles: DarkSpark135
UESPoints: 5
Are they making this stuff up as they go along? My 6-year old niece is more consistent in her make-believe.

Casandra: At the moment, the deadliest weapon at my disposal is a goblin's head on a stick. I'd be worried if this was the plan.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:05 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

The SheoDovah wrote:
Spoiler:
Although how she survived the end of the last season has yet to be addressed as no-one can really survive being blown into tiny pieces.

Spoiler:
They addressed that at the start of the episode, she used the energy blast from the Cyberman to charge her teleporter so that it just looked like she had been killed when really she teleported way.

Quote:
Are they making this stuff up as they go along?

Yes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:37 pm 

Spoiler:
Tis a bit shoddy due to the effects used but i'll buy that. I doubt Davros is dead as I doubt they would have brought him back just to kill him off. Twas nice seeing a mixture of retro Daleks and modern Daleks along with special weapons Dalek. I do wonder if the Cybermen will make a return this season. But I will admit, I rather see a lesser villain being used instead of the Cybermen as there is plenty of villians that have yet to be reintroduced. Oh and we now have sonic shades. Unsure if that's cheesy, cool or a mixture of both with a dose of what were they thinking.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:05 am 

Spin off series announced!

It's pretty much doing what Torchwood did in terms of setting and just existing in the Doctor Who universe without the Doctor being involved. It is set in 1960s Britian and it is aimed at young adults. It is just about growing up in britian in the Whoverse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34415344

I'm pretty much not interested in it as i generally just watch the main show and when it was running, Torchwood(until it got butchered then cancelled).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:10 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ES Games: oblivion, skyrim
Platform: xbox 360/one
UESPoints: 14
Wonder if the spin off will be like that other kids spin off with Sarah Jane and K-9? Or perhaps a bit more mature than that one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:09 pm 

Spoiler:
Why do i get the feeling that erm... Not Araya Stark is going to turn out to be just like River Song? The name, i can't remember thus the not Aarya Stark bit. :hate:

So, thoughts on this season so far, guys?

It's been rather good but i was disappointed by the last episode however, that's purely due to my expectations of it being very different.

Oh and Moffat seems to still be allowing others to write thus the quality improving! :D So far, Calpadi's run has been rather good.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:09 pm 

So erm... that was rather underwhelming.
Spoiler:
Clara's been killed off but i felt nothing. Not even an oh crap. I have the feeling that they will bring her back via some plot mcguffin and....

i spotted bloody River Song in the preview of the next episode. Anger levels are rising. Also, the doctor is beyond [&@%!] off. It should have been a short, sudden death and unexpected. Instead of a long drawn out scene. If this is not her real death, i do hope she is killed off via a dalek as it would be a nice touch and a decent call back to her previous dalek self.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:04 pm 

Using Timey Wimey Bimey Simey, I hereby declare this thread alive! Permission offically, unoffically but offically given to do this by Kerr.

Jodie Whititaker....Whittaker is the 13th Doctor and........ there is a lot of [&@%!] outrage about it from portions of the fanbase. What a load of crap. The outrage, i mean. Oh and the daily rags worked "PC gone mad" into it. :-/

I'm looking forward to seeing how Whittaker's Doctor will turn out to be and with Chibnall as the new head writer, i'm confident it will be a superb series. Shame that Capaldi is leaving and the final Moffat episode looks interesting. Just the 1st and the 12th, it seems.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:35 am 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

Quote:
Permission offically, unoffically but offically given to do this by Kerr.

Say officially because it makes me feel important.

I would have been more surprised if there hadn't been a lady doctor, it really felt like they were building up to it in Capaldi's run, especially in Season 10. And it makes Curse of Fatal Death seem prophetic. Joanna Lumley who plays the 13th Doctor in that comedy special written by Moffat was actually considered for the role back in the 1980s. Anyway, I'm really happy with the choice, I like the other stuff I've seen her in and they've well established that this is something which can happen by now. As for the negative reaction, eh, it's to be expected. The Sun and The Daily Mail were as scummy as I thought they would be, they published nude photos of her just, because. I know "Tabloids suck, Broadsheets are better" is a really old adage but like come on, it's something we'd expect from them. Which it totally shouldn't be because even they shouldn't be that crappy. I wish they had some standards.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Christmas special, I rather liked the Docudrama from 2013 about Doctor Who with David Bradley in it. I'm delighted they brought him back and are taking advantage of that, should be an interesting episode to be sure.

If you want to see Jodie Whititaker in something I'd recommend Attack The Block which is a fantastic Sci-Fi Comedy film about aliens attacking a council block in London. And also has John Boyega who plays Finn in Star Wars.
----
I don't know if we've talked about this before, I liked John Hurt as The War Doctor, I thought he did a fine job but I hate all the problems that arose from 11 not being able to regenerate. Like the Meta-Crisis doctor should count as a regeneration and I know they only brought in John Hurt because they couldn't get Christopher Eccleston but still, I really wish they just got Paul McGann. That TV Movie has a lot of problems but even if you haven't seen it, just look at Night of the Doctor, Paul McGann is great.

Still, Paul McGann is alive and making Doctor Who audio dramas. You never know, an 8/13 crossover episode is something that could happen.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:01 pm 

Offically, Kerr made me say this. Unoffically, I resent being made to make it offically and will use timey wimey to moderately inconvience her.

It's [&@%!] disgusting how the Daily rags treated Jodie Whittaker. They would not do it if it was a man and they seem to view it as their duty to dig up [&@%!] like this because "Political Correctness gone mad at the BBC." One of them had that as a front page headline. *Facesmashes* A. It's a bloody show. B. So what if an actress was picked? It was because she was the best candidate and it wasn't just Chibnall who was casting her.

It is interesting that both Doctors of their regeneration cycle(1st Doctor of each) are grumpy old men. I do wonder if Peter Capaldi will let loose in his final performance. I do hope that it is what it seems and that for once, we get half an episode focusing on the new version.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:15 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

As in half the episode is going to have 13 in it? I don't think that's going to happen, it typically doesn't. I don't think we'll see 13 until the very end. Which is fine, I thought Capaldi was great so I'm happy for him to get a send off. Although to be honest, the last episode would have worked perfectly as a send off and then have him regenerate right at the end. It is an unfortunate thing of how the story conflicts with the fact that Doctor Who is a commercial product, regeneration can never be a surprise. Because regeneration is a big deal, it's newsworthy, it draws in a bunch of viewers. Likewise, it might have been cool of 10 had regenerated 2/3 into the Season 4 finale and nobody knew it was going to happen. But it just can't happen.

The Christmas episode is going to called Twice Upon a Time. Mark Gatiss (he Co-Created Sherlock with Moffat, he plays Sherlock's brother in it) is going to be in the Christmas Special, because I guess Moffat wanted to include his friend. Given what his character looks like, I seriously think he might be playing The Brigadeer.

Although thinking of regeneration, there's a really popular fan theory (which seems to be accepted as canon by BBC) that almost has to be canon for some things to make sense. It's called Season 6B. The idea is basically at the end of The Second Doctor's run when you think the Time Lords make him regenerate and go back to earth, he actually works as an agent for them for a while until you know, they make him regenerate and he's exiled to earth. The reason for the theory is The Three Doctors, The Five Doctors and The Two Doctors (2/6) are three serials that have The Second Doctor traveling alone with his companion Jamie and Jamie knows who The Time Lords are, but the only time that could happen is after Troughton's last episode The War Games. Because until the episode Jamie didn't know about The Time Lords and they weren't traveling alone. Also The Doctor very much doesn't want to go back, he hasn't met them in this incarnation yet because of how he talks about them and they talk about him in that episode.

The Doctor and The Master and the two characters we think of when we think Time Lords because like, they're the ones we meet the most. But they're rogue Time Lords, not your typical example of a Time Lord. The High Council doesn't just let everyone fly round and do whatever the hell they want. Hell, The Doctor was 200 when he stole his Tardis.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8