UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 657 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anime General Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:41 am 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox
Other Profiles: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
UESPoints: 14
So I've taken to watching bit by bit while I can the anime Seven Deadly Sins. And I'm more than convinced, this is more than certainly one of the better examples of traditional shonen right on up there with HunterXHunter

Like, to be fair, its not like there is much competition. Most shonen are either too short or too long, with quality in writing or animation just being all over the place(example: One Punch Man or Hero Academia can be god tier when they wanna be, but then you get shows where Fairy Tail even looks great by comparison :roll: )
Spoiler:
But ya, I just love 7 Deadly Sins. Hopefully newer arc's have a lot more to explore.. and while I do love me some darker or somber moments.. I'm hesitant on HxH Chimera ant levels of dark <.<; (I dont ever wanna FEEL that hard again) but like.. damn.. some of these moments.. just, especially with how they deal with the characters and treat their origins or personal moments. Heck, even some of the powers and their take on the Sins* ^-^ like, idk who has to be my favorite, Ban i.e the Sin of Greed i.e that immortal [&@%!] bc seriously he has that winning personality.. and some of the best darn moments period. Or do I prefer GOD DAMN PRAISIN THE SUN ESCANOR i.e literally the badass of the show that gives zero [&@%!](canon) and frankly goes to show exactly how one should introduce a badass or just make one badass beat up another. Plus, ya know.. I gotta love me some OP characters that arent OP 24/7 i.e like AllMight from Academia

*and speaking of Sins, I just like how all of them display, subvert, or earn that title. Like, a good deal of them wrongfully earned their title even if it very much is befitting to their personality(Ban/King are indeed very greedy/lazy). But then you got how they may subvert it entirely from the norm i.e Gluttony for knowledge

But ya.. gosh.. jf your looking for a more lighter tone shonen with the typical adventure with friends trope, I'll say this one is a good one

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:51 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: I, II, III (all wip), Oblivion, Skyrim
UESPoints: 9
Ech, I was really not a huge fan of 7DS.

Spoiler:
I mean, it had its good points, I feel like I recall (Ban is 100% anime crush material and his relationship with Elaine is JUST! SO! CUTE!). But overshadowing the good points is my total dislike of the two main characters. Meliodas can die in a pit and Elizabeth needs help with her "oh, Meliodas"-ing and needs it soon. Also those girls! need! to wear more clothes! Also I think I got bored with the fighting, but that may very well just be a classic shonen thing. And probably the scantily-clad women is a classic shonen thing as well... I don't watch much classic shonen.

Maybe this type of show is just not the one for me.

Tbh it's been so long since I watched it that I don't really remember enough to give proper criticisms. But I do recall not loving it. It didn't have me jumping for the next episode, and I was ready for it to be over. I only went and watched season 2 because I'd watched season 1 with a friend and she wanted to watch it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:31 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

UESPoints: 0
On 7DS
Spoiler:
The supporting cast (and I use the term very loosely since you could probably make a spin-off with anyone other than Meliodas/Elizabeth) being better kind of hurts the story in some respects. Like, because the Mel/Eliz romance is so intertwined to the main plot and tends to be danced around, it feels so one dimensional compared to the other couples that slowly evolve/resolve (Granted it helps that the other romances tend to focus on both actually having character before coupling)

on a side note: Gowther's story really feels like a conspiracy theorist and a fan fiction writer had a baby and then threw it in a blender and made an elementary school class put it back together
At least that's what it feels like when you drop the series for a awhile and try to pick it back up..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:17 am 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

Finally finished SAO Alternative.. and OMG that ending was so cute :3 I WANT MORE!!

Also.. like.. damn.. I had thos sneaky feeling.. and.. just.. so happy ^-^

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:52 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

ES Games: I, II, III, IV, V. Once I caught a fish alive.
Platform: PC & Playstation
UESPoints: 20
I'm about halfway through Cowboy Bebop, giving it a rewatch. It's a very, very good show that everyone should check out if they haven't already. If I remember right, I'll need to top on The Movie between Episodes 22 and 23

Also has my favorite ending to any anime. Hell, one of my favorite endings to anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:45 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
I see everyone praising SAO Alternative, is it really good, or only the ending was nice? The SAO label acts like garlic does to vampire to any anime fan older than 16, so I'm quite surprised it actually turns out nicely and gets largely positive reviews.

But now, I've started Made in Abyss (yes, I know I'm late) but I can't stop thinking that... it would be one hell of an awesome game!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:43 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

SAO Alternative is good bc by merit, the animation has always been top notch, music is grand, the original settings were interesting.. the only that needed changing was the author :lol: and thats what this spin off did. It has no input from the original creator i.e it had an actual author who knew what character development and plots should look like

Also, I gotta love the fact that despite mostly being populated by a female cast, it utterly lacks any sense of a harem. In fact, most of em are just flat out badass no fanservice applied. Let us not forget the entire team of Amazons that could make body builders put to shame

Seriously, its worth a try

As per Made in Abyss, your not theonly one to have thought that. Seriously, great anime. Shame its so hard to recommend.. not everyone should ride the rollercoaster of feels

Speaking of great shows not everyone has watched *le segway* Violet Evergarden from netflix (Yes I will keep pushing this show as much as I can)

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:38 am 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

I uhh, thing I just stumbled across an anime specifically created just for you Cass <_<;

Its like, BL yao but not really. Just, even the name toys at that. Its actually just a reverse harem in disguise gaging from the clips
Kiss him, not me:
It even comes in Dub :lol:

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:18 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Oh, I know that anime. :lol: I've only ever seen the first episode, though.

I'll maybe watch the rest, someday. It was fun, but didn't quite get me hooked, if you know what I mean.

Right now I'm slowly but surely working on Clannad. Also my sister's home for a week and making everyone watch Naruto with her.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:16 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

Didnt get you hooked?

Could that be bc rather than teasing it, it wasnt actual BL :roll:

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:26 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hey, I watch things other than BL. :Angry: I don't actually know what it was about it. The protagonist was slightly relatable but also kind of annoying, iirc. And the guys were kind of meh, first episode.

I don't know, I'm sure if I watched a few more episodes, I'd get into it. But time is short and the anime are many.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:56 am 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

All I'm hearing is cass needs to take a college semester on weeaboo 101 and join a shojo club

Speaking of so many shows so little time >_< I keep meaning to watch the Ghost in the Shell SAC films and Psycho Pass's film

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:05 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

BetaB17 wrote:
All I'm hearing is cass needs to take a college semester on weeaboo 101 and join a shojo club

Speaking of so many shows so little time >_< I keep meaning to watch the Ghost in the Shell SAC films and Psycho Pass's film

Aww, Beta. They're really good. Love to hear thought on them when you watch them. And now having read the GITS manga I can see the influence that GITS 2.0 had on Solid State Society.

Except unlike 2.0, Solid State Society isn't terrible. God, 2.0 was such a disappointment after 1.0 and 1.5.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:34 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

Have you seen the recent GITS anime adaptations?

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:10 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

Arise? Yes. It's not very good.

The Arise Movie they made in like, 2015? No. But Arise being pretty lackluster doesn't give me high hopes.

I don't think there's been anything since then, has there?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:03 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: III, IV, V
Platform: XB1
UESPoints: 10
I saw GitS:Arise also. I thought it was... okay.

I liked what they tried to do with the 'false memories' idea (even if it kinda ran out of steam quickly), the intriguing attempt to add a bit a back-story to the Major (though sadly the Major's character didn't seem to mesh very well with it) and I liked how Togusa got onto the team.

There is plenty to dislike though. Really not a fan of the new music. The new Saito is just ridiculous. The new Major acts like a spoiled brat sometimes. What else? Well some of it just left me cold: "No, Major, I don't care about the budget for your 'independent group' - just join Section 9 already and get on with it." Oh, and episode 4 disappears up its own place-where-you-should-never-disappear-up.

As usual, I think, I get much more annoyed by the flaws in things I really wanted to be good. (*cough* Assassin's Creed movie *cough*) The reality of it is that while GitS:Arise isn't amazing, it does at least successfully scratch the 'sci-fi action' itch for me. So if I was going to 'recommend' it then it'd probably be on that basis only.

fwiw I thought Episode 2 "Ghost Whispers" was the best of the bunch so that might be worth a quick butchers for anyone so inclined.

----

In other news, I saw Corpse Princess last year. A secret order of monks fight the Evil Undead by resurrecting dead schoolgirls (as you do) and compelling them to fight the good fight with a promise of entry to Heaven. And it's really really good, perhaps even good enough to knock Claymore off my 'no 1 favourite Anime' topspot? Series 1 in particular has a very similar vibe to 'Blood C'. It's also the closest any anime has ever got to making me want to use the word 'feels'.

Toodles! ^-^

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:01 am 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Daggerfall, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC, PS4, Nintendo Switch
Kimetsu no Yaiba is basically about fighting slightly altered vampires, like wisteria, instead of garlic and sun-forged swords (basically Dawnbreaker), instead of silver.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:09 am 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

Tim. If ya wanna watch a good cyberpunk scifi, try your luck with Psycho Pass. It'll scratch that itch plenty

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:20 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: III, IV, V
Platform: XB1
UESPoints: 10
^ I watched Psycho-Pass Season 1. And verily it was good. Likeable cast with interesting dynamics, cool villain, some nice visuals / music. As well as a sprinkling of philosophical musings. I think I enjoyed the story in PP1 as much as GitS:SAC Season 2.

I also watched Season 2 and the movie. tbh I thought Season 2 was a bit duff... :( but the movie was good so hopefully that means that the new 'mini-movie trilogy' and Season 3 will be back on track.

Thanks for the recommendation!

*Lights cake-scented incense in honour of Sensei Beta*

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:12 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Daggerfall, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC, PS4, Nintendo Switch
Tsuujou Okaasan. Another world with your mom. That being said, I feel like that that was how this person: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Vilena_Donton was in her younger days.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:55 am 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Oblivion
Platform: PC
Finally, I had time yesterday to watch Weathering With You. I can say that it indeed a good animated film.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:02 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ahhh, I know some people who went to see that in the theatre! I've heard good things. ^-^ Haven't seen it myself yet, though.

I watched A Silent Voice a few weeks ago for the second time and discovered that I had somehow managed to forget??? All of it? Like even the part on the balcony I forgot, I really don't know how.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:14 am 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

A Silent Voice is just.. its so good >_<

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:19 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

It’s not my favourite movie, but I have to say I liked it better the second time I saw it than the first.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:41 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Oblivion
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: ToldWater
Just started watching the 4th season of Sword Art Online and already finding it exciting!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 657 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next