UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:06 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind Oblivion Skyrim
Platform: Xbox PC
Other Profiles: willsg (Xbox live) wgrenter (Steam)
UESPoints: 0
According to Moffat one of them is going to die- and they'll be proper dead, not Rory dead.

Because you're so popular!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:09 pm 
Champion
Champion

Yeah right. Rory's been killed off how many times now? Doctor Who's never had the guts to kill main characters off and I don't think that would really suit it either.

I haven't been watching the new season as I'm rightfully convinced that the show's been going downhill in terms of writing and from the one that was on yesterday with those cubes I was right. It started off well and most of the stuff that makes Smith 'n' Gillan's version of the show good is still there, but come on, did they just give up on trying to make the narrative remotely coherent or compelling? I'll watch next week's one because let's face it, you can't do the Weeping Angels badly if you try, but I'm still disappointed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:14 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

ES Games: I, II, III, IV, V. Once I caught a fish alive.
Platform: PC & Playstation
UESPoints: 20
This series needs more Jack. Seriously when is Jack going to meet the current Doctor?

Oh no, give us more River. The single most annoying character in the show.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:04 am 
Champion
Champion

Bringing back Jack would significantly increase the sexy in the show. With the loss of David Tenant they seriously need to find it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:07 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: skyrim
Platform: xbox
Hi.
Is it the end of the series? I dont know

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:17 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY
Platform: PC
Love the new season, the show has not got better or worse in my opinion. Matt is just as good as David, and River is a brilliant addition to the show.

I honestly think some people just want all the characters to look like super models, which is pretty unrealistic and I'm glad they aren't going down that route(american tv shows anyone?).
The new companion they are bringing in will be more then enough sexy for the show.

Sure not every episode is a complete blinder, but no show has that. Even things like Game of Thrones and The Walking dead have their 'iffy' ones.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:09 am 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

ES Games: I, II, III, IV, V. Once I caught a fish alive.
Platform: PC & Playstation
UESPoints: 20
jammonator13 wrote:
Hi.
Is it the end of the series? I dont know

No, it is split around the Christmas special. So I'll put my thought about the most recent episode (Episode 5, The Angels take Manhatten) in spoilers.
Spoiler:
I think it would have been better if they died jumping off the roof. The part in the graveyard felt a bit tacked on. Then again I can understand they probably wouldn't be allowed have two characters kill themselves off in a suicide pact.

Also the statue of liberty as a weeping angel, could be an interesting idea but I'm pretty sure somebody would be looking at it. I didn't like it and at the end of the day it was pretty pointless. Also no weeping angels moving on screen. I hated when they moved on screen.

Overall the episode wasn't bad. Now can River please go to the library already?

Post subject: Doctor Who, anyone?
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:23 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
I know there was a Doctor Who topic a while back, but it's so deep in the archives I decided to make a new one. Especially since I didn't want to discuss the entire show, but this:

Holy sonic screwdriver, Batman! Have you seen the finale?!?!??!!?!

My brain right now looks a bit like this:
Spoiler:
and boy, am I happy about avoiding any and all spoilers. That was a fantastic twist at the end and for the first time in a long time Moffat delivered exactly what I'd expected him to do when he'd first taken over - give me some jaw-droppingly awesome Doctor Who. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So. Have you seen it? If yes, what did you think? If not, what's wrong with you, go watch it!

Rule #137: Always waste time when you don't have any.

Post subject: Re: Doctor Who, anyone?
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:25 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Morrowind, Skyrim
Don't have cable and it probably won't be online from the local station that carries it until tomorrow so I have to spend another day in wait. You have me excited now though.

Post subject: Re: Doctor Who, anyone?
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:38 pm 
Champion
Champion

p-sto, seriously - if you're going to wait until tomorrow (and not do what us unlucky folk do in the countries where the only legit way to watch it is by buying the most expensive cable package there is), don't come anywhere near any site that might spoil it for you.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:43 pm 
Mod On Leave
Mod On Leave

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox, PC, STD
Other Profiles: Gamertag: MightyGo0dLeadr
UESPoints: 15
Merged the threads, just to keep things tidy.

I love Doctor Who, but have only seen the episodes available on Netflix as I don't have cable.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:43 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Elder Scrolls Online
Platform: PC, PS3
Other Profiles: Steam: Behnjymyn, Origin: Behnjymyn
Musicman247 wrote:
I don't have cable.

....This is literally unfathomable to me.

See an inappropriate post or topic? Click the report button. [ ! ]

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:46 pm 
Mod On Leave
Mod On Leave

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox, PC, STD
Other Profiles: Gamertag: MightyGo0dLeadr
UESPoints: 15
I have basic cable, but that doesn't include BBC America. :(

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:47 pm 
Champion
Champion

I'll do you one better - I don't have a TV.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:47 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Morrowind, Skyrim
You have to pay for Netflix, correct? Space channel here in Canada has put up the entire season of Doctor Who free to watch as long as I don't fall behind on episodes. I've enjoyed this season quite a bit. And thanks for the advice, Dzio, will try to avoid spoilers for the next day.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:26 am 
Master
Master

ES Games: Oblivion
Platform: X-box 360(post), PC
BBc recently took off it's channel in India. Which sucks. haven't watched Top gear in a while.

I've watched most of tennant. And Some of smith. though people say the new writer is messing some stuff up.

Spoiler:
Made you look

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:37 am 
Champion
Champion

I don't think he's messing anything up, he's just not living up to the expectations. After all, Moffat's episodes from RTD era were some of the best things that ever happened on Doctor Who. He couldn't keep that level of awesomeness up all the time and you know that fans can be a rabid bunch, not to mention overly dramatic - the creators do anything they don't like, and suddenly they're "killing the show" and everyone "hates them". ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:40 am 
Lord of the Shivering Isles
Lord of the Shivering Isles

ES Games: Oblivion:GOTY, Skyrim:Legendary edition
Platform: PS3.
UESPoints: 12
Spoiler:
So Clara is one massive walking time paradox. Twas the best finale of the Smith series and for once, the Doctor doesn't die or cheat death and didn't see that Doctor reveal coming. I suspect John Hurt's doctor is actually the Doctor's original form before he regenerated. I think the 50th anniverasy episode is about all 11 doctors trying to stop their original form as that is what it's hinted at but would cause a massive time paradox but knowing the Doctor, he reboots time and space again.

The writers for the Smith Doctor tend to have more bad episodes then good. The recent series has been decent despite the silly monsters even for this show. They seem to be obessessed with killing the doctor off as they have killed him off a few times. He either rebooted the universe thus he didn't die, used a robot and so forth. Stop killing him off guys.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:33 pm 
Champion
Champion

Spoiler:
I liked the explanation of the whole Impossible Girl thing and I think that for once Moffat didn't go over the top trying to make it more clever than is good for anyone. There have been several plot twists in the last few seasons that were so convoluted that it bordered on ridiculous. Not this one though, I'm happy with it. And Smith got a chance to do some really decent acting this time.

I don't think Hurt's Doctor is the original form, the original was the 1st Doctor, William Hartnell. I don't know if you've watched Classic Who, but it's said a few times that the regeneration from One to Two is the Doctors first ever regeneration. But I do think it's one of the older ones - Eight (as long as we assume that only the film is canon, not the books or audio stories). Think about it. We haven't seen him regenerate into Nine. He could have travelled around for centuries after the events of the film, and we have no concrete evidence that the Time Lords don't age physically. The Doctor goes through his regenerations rather recklessly (as he himself admits), so there's no reason to think that Eight wouldn't look like John Hurt after a millenium or two.

But more importantly - it explains Hurt's words about having no choice and doing something "for peace and sanity", and Doctor's "he's the one who broke the promise". He's the one who ended the Time War. He's the "blood soaked" one, who destroyed a large chunk of universe, including his own people, to save the rest of it. Also, Eleven refers to him in past tense (which admitedly may not mean that much, given how wibbly-wobbly his timeline is) and clearly knows what he did. Unless the whole "spoilers!" thing was one big fat lie, he shouldn't know details of his personal future history.

And on top of that, it explains how Smith is going to stay on as the Doctor for season 8. Because according to every single article I've seen, he is coming back in 2014. If Hurt is Eight, he's going to appear in the 50th Anniversary Special, and then we're back with Smith.

I think I need to get a life.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:25 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY and Skyrim for PC &PS3
Platform: PC, PS3
Which seasons is David Tennant the Doctor?
Only seen a couple episodes but want to start watching them.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:09 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

kailay wrote:
Which seasons is David Tennant the Doctor?
Only seen a couple episodes but want to start watching them.

David Tenant started in the second series (Technically episode 167, but his seasons started 168) all the way to series four

On Current Story
Spoiler:
Somehow I highly doubt John Hurt is the true Ninth regeneration as it leaves one wondering why Clara wouldn't have seen him alongside the others, why wouldn't she be thrown into this regeneration's timeline like the others.
Short of some really crappy temporal prison explanation, I can only think of one, better, option:

This John Hurt Doctor is one that changed his own timeline within the Time War to simultaneously end the war and prevent himself (as a regeneration) from ever existing within the current timestream.
Likely his altered self knew the paradox was a problem and trapped the paradox regeneration in the one place he would never go, his own grave

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:40 pm 
Champion
Champion

Kailay, Tennant took over from Eccleston in Season 2 of New Who. But you might want to start from the beginning, Season 1 is a lot of fun, especially Moffat's two episodes - The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances.

Chaos - wow, I like that theory, it's just twisty enough for Moffat. Though I also think that
Spoiler:
you've got one thing wrong there - the "new" Doctor isn't trapped in the Doctor's tomb, he isn't exactly anywhere. That whole scene is taking place inside his timeline, in his mind, not in any physical location. And Hurt may very well be older Eight - if he is, then Clara did see him, just the younger him. I'd like for him to be an actual incarnation of the Doctor, not some retconned, rebooted universe version that was erased from space and time. We've had enough of that, thank you very much. ;)

Anyway, whoever he is, I'm almost certain this will have something to do with the Time War. I think that Eleventh Doctor's episodes clearly show that Moffat wants to deal with that subject and the Doctor's Oncoming Storm side.

And we have to wait until November now! :(

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:42 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Actually..
Spoiler:
The "Timeline" is just scars leftover from the TARDIS' travel through time and connection to events the Doctor triggers (Which is why the first point in time is when the Doctor steals the TARDIS and not earlier)
Side effects of the TARDIS dying, imprinting itself on the time vortex; but I concede that it isn't a physical prison, though semantics at best in a setting such as this.

But more to the point, what would be the point of genuinely separating two points in time for the same regeneration if there isn't a real reason? Why would Clara see only one portion of a life after seeing all other regenerations in a singular capacity if there isn't any time tomfoolery? As much as you'd like for it to not be, it is pretty much what the current seasons run on, paradoxes. Even if he is an older version of a known regeneration, it still has little change on my theory; if anything, it could be that an aged Paul Mcgann played by John Hurt went back in time to kill himself (or the timelords in general) during a pivotal point during the war or forced his past self to kill himself to prevent the future from happening (or some other convoluted option that involves John Hurt's timeline a paradox and likely the death of the ninth regeration at the helm)

As a complete left field option: John Hurt steals the Reality bomb from season 4 and uses it to kill everything trapped in the Time War

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:14 am 
Champion
Champion

Well okay, maybe I'm trying too hard to make it wibbly-wobbly, while it could be perfectly simple:
Spoiler:
what if he's really Nine? I mean, proper Nine, and the Nine we know is actually Ten, Ten is Eleven, and Eleven is Twelve? Rule number one is "the Doctor lies" after all. What if we just have one extra Doctor that hasn't been shown or mentioned, because in the Doctor's opinion he's not really "the Doctor" at all, he's done something that made him undeserving of the name - he's the one who fought in and ended the Time War.

Actually, do you remember that scene from The Beast Below, when the Doctor is sciencing some wires and stuff to zap the starwhale's brain? And he says that if he does it, he'll have to find himself a new name, because he won't be the Doctor anymore? What if that was foreshadowing, because Moffat had always planned to show the past version of the Doctor who's done exactly that? I wouldn't put it past him, after all the man claims he had River's entire story planned when he stated shooting Silence In The Library...

Granted, that idea looks much too straightforward for Moffat, but he's already going to have to twist the timeline into knots to bring multiple Doctors together for the 50th, so maybe he can swallow a bit of simpler plot for once. ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:56 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Spoiler:
Given the cast line-up listed so far, with David and Billie Piper returning for the 50th, I wouldn't put it past them

Part of me was really hoping to be done with the whole Rose Tyler arc, here's to her role being only for flashbacks...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next