UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50
 Post subject: Re: The 'What are you reading at the moment' thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:55 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: I, II, III (all wip), Oblivion, Skyrim
UESPoints: 9
Kerr should be happy; I’m reading Junji Ito. It’s so good but scary but good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:10 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

ES Games: I, II, III, IV, V. Once I caught a fish alive.
Platform: PC & Playstation
UESPoints: 20
Cassandra wrote:
Kerr should be happy; I’m reading Junji Ito. It’s so good but scary but good.

Ooh, which one? (It turns out you're reading the comedy manga about him and his wife adopting cats.)

I just finished reading Dante's Inferno. Eh, it's alright. It was more interesting as a work for all the historical reasons that it's an important work of literature than being an actual good story. But I don't regret reading it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:51 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just finished reading through all of Uzumaki. I also read The Hanging Balloons and The Enigma of Amigara Fault, a couple days ago.

I didn't know he wrote a comedy... and it's about cats, too! I'll have to go look it up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:11 am 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox
Other Profiles: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
UESPoints: 14
A comedy? By Junji? About cats??

@Kerr: The Divine Comedy is, a mixed bag of sorts <_< and lets be honest here.. Pretty much a self-insert fanfiction of Dante's undying love for Virgil and not so subtle jabs at the enemies of Rome <_< oh.. And how is girlfriend is pretty much the greatest thing ever(Maybe second only to God)

Still tho, however overrated it may seem, Dante's Inferno is probably my personal favorite. Polar opposite to Paradiso, no pun intended <_< bc really.. It's just.. So.. So awful, and sort of just loses track of itself in structure, much unlike say Inferno with all it's layers and circles of hell finely defined

Oh and somewhere Purgatorio happens, then it ends. It's alright I guess

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:28 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Platform: Xbox 360, PC
I just finished Oathbringer (after buying it on release day over a month ago) and hoooooooooooooo boy. I would not hesitate to say that it is probably one of the greatest books I've ever read. Not only is it an incredible next instalment of the Stormlight Archive story, with as many twists and epic moments as you'd find in the entirety of any other series, it's also deeply moving on an emotional, human level. Not many fantasy series truly manage to be 'relatable' in the way that this one does. I've seen posts on Reddit from many people with past trauma and mental illness issues, thanking Sanderson for writing these characters and their struggles in a way that not only understands the real underlying feelings, but presents a constructive look at coping and moving forward.

...and did I mention the twists and epic moments?

If I could rate a book six stars on Goodreads, this one I would.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:51 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Down and Out in Paris and London!

I've wanted to read it for a long time, and just got it for Christmas. I really like George Orwell. ^-^

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:41 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, PS4/3, Xbone
UESPoints: 0
I was able to successfully keep myself from buying Oathbringer until after Christmas, so now I'm deep into the Sandersonian goodness.
I'm very proud of that - it took a lot of self-control. Hubby-claus didn't get it for me for Christmas, so I rewarded myself with it while boxing day shopping.

Also reading Raising Steam, by Terry Pratchett.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:42 pm 
Layman
Layman

Platform: PS4
I'm currently working on The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan, and Four Past Midnight by Stephen King. They're both great.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:35 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: All of 'Em
Platform: PS4, PC
Other Profiles: PSN: Unionhack, Steam: Unionhack
UESPoints: 13
I'm gonna be re-reading all of Scott Pilgrim and Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley soon because I can't get enough of the dude's work.

Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:07 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

ES Games: I, II, III, IV, V. Once I caught a fish alive.
Platform: PC & Playstation
I recently read The Picture of Dorian Gray which I adored. It was such a good story, I haven't felt like this about a novel since I read Frankenstein. And boy did it go in some directions I wasn't expecting. Really strong recommendation.

I also read Irredeemable which is a Superhero comic about what would happen when their Superman stand in (The Plutonian) goes evil and decides to start murdering everybody. Bad things as it turns out. And his former teammates need to find a way to stop his wanton destruction and mass murder. It's really good trying to see where the story goes. And not being tied to the big two means he can just kill anybody, the comic starts with him hunting down one of his team mates and reducing his family to skeletons with laser vision. Oh and their Batman stand in dies before the comic even starts by being punched through the head, which is probably what would happen in a Batman vs Superman fight. Another thing I like is how their Lois Lane stand in doesn't take the idea that the man she loves has been secretly her co-worker for years well at all and instantly breaks up with him because could you imagine lying to someone on that big of a scale for that long. In general the characters are more than just stand ins for DC & Marvel characters, but you can see the intentional parallels.

Plutonian is more the antagonist (obviously,) the protagonist Qubit has technology powers which help him control and construct technology (he's kinda like their Mister Fantastic in that regard) and was my favorite character out of the cast. In all a solid recommendation for playing with Superhero stories.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:55 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've started John Green's latest book. It seems to be a quick read, and so far is lovely in all the ways John Green books are.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:51 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Platform: PC
KhajiitIsHardToSpell wrote:
I'm currently working on The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan

I've read most of the wheel of time, great series. I stole one of RJ's analogies and use it often.

I'm reading 3 books at the moment: part 1 of a 3 part american history series, one book on pre columbian native americans in FL and finishing one book on brain health.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:17 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: All of them!
UESPoints: 5
Kerr wrote:
I recently read The Picture of Dorian Gray which I adored.

Ah, this is one of my absolute favorites! I've reread it countless times. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

I am in a summer book club and for June we are reading Girls Burn Brighter by Shobha Rao. Apparently our theme this summer is "rip your heart out through your nose and crush it into a fine powder." This book is a tough read. I think I'm going to read something light on the side to help get through it.

This year my brother and I are doing a reading challenge, and I recommend it! Work tends to get the best of me and I don't always read like I used to. It's got a point system. You get 100 points for each book you read, and 1 additional point for the pages (excluding title pages and indexes). I love reading, but I love kickin' my brother's butt more, so it's been a treat. :lol: I've been in the lead for over 100 days with 13,124 points, though, so I think next year we'll have to invite some other folks! Best part is the winner gets the trophy and a bottle of their favorite drink...and the glory. Always the glory.

"[...] for the lives of gods are not what mortals think and matters that weigh only years to mortals weigh on gods forever."
The Tribunal Temple, Nerevar at Red Mountain

Find the S'wit:
ESO PC-NA: @Avron | Legends: nosoundcomes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:11 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Other Profiles: discord: @inr#2535
UESPoints: 10
Anthony Bateman and Roy Krawitz (2013) Borderline Personality Disorder: An Evidence-based Guide for Generalist Mental Health Professionals.

And for fun:

Niamh Moloney (2014) EU Securities and Financial Market Regulation.

Though even I recognise that this is a rather sad reflection on the state of my life.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:35 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Oblivion
Other Profiles: n/a
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

I love the tone and complexity this book presents! There is lots of foul languages, and it broaches the topic of "going all the way" and sex and pulling out condoms during a make-out session, his hands in her pants...which my 10-year-old is not quite ready to read about. So there is a bit of teenage angst talk around sex and being "horny" so I'd say 14 maybe. But love the overall theme and have been listening to it on audio, letting my 10 yr old listen in to the appropriate chapters while we drive. I think the overall story is an eye-opener for most! This story happens in a hood with gangs, so there is gang talk, drug dealers, addicts, gang shootings, aggressive behavior, and language. So, I say great messages in some ways but read it first. The good message has to do with a girl from the hood who lives in two worlds, and understands both, but struggles with the differences.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:38 am 
Layman
Layman

I am reading right now is brawling go manga.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:32 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, Mac, iPad
Other Profiles: SeaGtGruff (Steam), TinklyGosling47 (Xbox)
leroybrown wrote:
book on pre columbian native americans in FL

Now that sounds interesting! As long as it isn't a dry archaeological text.

I'm currently reading The Mongrel Mage by L. E. Modesitt, Jr. I'm a big fan of his fantasy and science fiction books.

Before that I read The Traveler by David L. Golemon. I'm not usually an avid reader of military action science fantasy, since I've never been in the military, but I do enjoy his Event series, as well as his haunted house story (The Supernaturals).

Before that I was slogging through H.P. Lovecraft: The Fiction, but it was a long and painful experience and I never got through a fraction of the book. For one thing, I didn't find the stories to be very frightening or suspenseful, because I could pretty much guess what the "surprise" at the end was going to be. But I was also rather put off by his narrow-minded prejudices regarding people with different racial and cultural backgrounds than him. I'll probably try to pick it back up eventually and continue reading until the bitter end, because I never made it to his more famous tales.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:43 am 
Layman
Layman

At the moment I am reading Shappang: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. What happened to Harriet Vanger who disappeared forty years ago? Mikael Blomkvist, a disgraced journalist, and Lisbeth Salander, a tattooed and pierced hacker genius, are on the complex case. They uncover family iniquity and corruption at the top of Sweden’s industrial ladder.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50