UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lore confusion about Atmora/Skyrim/Summerset Isles/etc
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:45 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games: Oblivion
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 0
I hope I got this right so far. Feel free to correct me. The point is to clear up my confusion.

This is the cause of events I currently assume to have happened in order.

Races of Nirn are created
Each race has its own place, ie Yokuda for Redguards, Atmora for Nords, Blackmarsh for Argonians and so forth.
At some point, the Nords/Proto Nords invaded Skyrim which at that point was populated by Snow Elves.
After some time, most Snow Elves were genocided by the marauding Nords, who hence took their land and now has bandits scream such nonsense as "Skyrim belongs to the Nords". lol
This noting that this is a pre-Tiber Septim age. Hence the Nords had their original faith/pantheon etc, where Arkay was Shor, Kynareth was Kyne and so on.
Now it gets lively.
The budding Empire "Conquers" Skyrim. Forces its occupants to be part of the Empire and using their religious terms. Tiber Septim is thus an additive to the original Nordic pantheon.
In the midst of the chaos, at some point during or after (unaware about the exact time table) The Empire unleashes the Numidium on the Altmer, and more or less decimates their army to force a capitulation, and formally adds the Summerset Isles to the Empire. At this point. Altmer were conquered by Men. Snow Elves were genocided by men. At this point. No Altmer or agent of the to be Thalmor/Aldmeri had perpetrated genocide or conquest on men. So Men, be they Nord or Imperial have a lot of blood on their hands.
Since "Talos" is an additive deity, even if Tiber Septim quite literally became a god. Strictly speaking, Both the Altmer faith, and the original Nordic faith should be hostile to the idea of Talos.
By that logic... Should Nords, and especially Stormcloaks not be thrilled that the Thalmor now want to in essence free them from this previous enforced bondage?
It is possible I overlooked some lore aspects so I stand ready to be corrected. I hope all this is understandable. I look forward to good replies. :)

(Previously The Black Weasel)

Post subject: Re: Lore confusion about Atmora/Skyrim/Summerset Isles/etc
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:48 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: TESO, Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Battlespire, Daggerfall, Arena
Platform: PC, PS3, PS4/VR
UESPoints: 4
You've completely overlooked the Night of Tears.

Basically, the elves started it. Also, the Thalmor aren't seeking to "free" anyone.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:56 pm 
Master
Master

Yep missed that part. Thanks for pointing it out.
Even so, was that night of tears not brought on by the Snow Elves' fear of the invading humans? Was it not a pre-emptive effort to attempt to drive out the invaders and regain control of their own lands?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:49 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: All of them!
UESPoints: 5
Daemos Avetorii wrote:
At this point. No Altmer or agent of the to be Thalmor/Aldmeri had perpetrated genocide or conquest on men.

Well, there was the Three Banners War that occurred well before Talos was a twinkle in Tamriel's eye (during which The Elder Scrolls: Online takes place), which certainly was an attempt at conquest, I would say. Of course, there's a fair bit that happens between then (2E 580) and Talos (2E 852).

I'm not entirely sure what your question is per se, but if it is why Fourth Era Stormcloak Nords aren't thankful to the Fourth Era Dominion - there is, quite literally, decades upon decades of history between the founding of the Septim Empire and its fall following the Oblivion Crisis, not to mention what happens after. Imagine how much one's cultural identity can change in that time. And that's to make no mention of the huge war that just got waged and all the repercussions it had on all of Cyrodiil. Kind of comparing apples to oranges on that one, if you ask me. :wink: At the end of the day, everybody is proud, no one likes being conquered, and everyone is really good at pointing out how they don't suck as much as everyone else when we all know that isn't true.

"[...] for the lives of gods are not what mortals think and matters that weigh only years to mortals weigh on gods forever."
The Tribunal Temple, Nerevar at Red Mountain

Find the S'wit:
ESO PC-NA: @Avron | Legends: nosoundcomes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:14 pm 
Master
Master

Thanks for that reply. I suppose that sounds credible. Perhaps my overly complex harebrained concept/question was a bit out of sorts.
I have a risk of getting petty. Say for example when playing Skyrim as one of elf races, deliberately helping the empire to conquer windhelm just to spite Galmar Stonefist and troll him before axing him or blasting him with magic. XD I can get triggered by certain npc's ignorance, like Rolff Stonefist. But there are plenty of intelligent Nords as well, like Kraldar or what's his name, the other Jarl of Winterhold if the Stormcloak one is ousted. Maybe my amiable disposition to the Thalmor is a bit off the rationality mark. That is one of the reasons I started this post. Get my act together, and properly understand the complete context of the lore. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:08 am 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: TESO, Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Battlespire, Daggerfall, Arena
Platform: PC, PS3, PS4/VR
UESPoints: 4
I think a key thing to consider in regards to right and wrong is that Talos did indeed ascend to godhood. That is, the Eight Divines themselves saw him worthy of ascension. This should remove any suspicion that Snow Elves or the Thalmor acted 'righteously,' assuming you choose to believe the Aedra are the light side of the force Elder Scrolls universe. That's where the Daedric Princes come in to balance things out.

Although the Empire in its most recent depiction is nothing like it once was, the fact remains that the unification of Tamriel by man was ultimately deemed a worthy cause. Any race of elves or otherwise who seem to have gotten the short end of the stick most likely did something to deserve it. Of course, this doesn't mean all men or all mer are good or evil. This is only in response to the topic at hand.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:49 am 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO All DLC
Other Profiles: AKB (Doppelgänger)
UESPoints: 4985
There's the Night of Tears, the definitive "They started it" to the Nords. Beyond that, there's also the sexual slavery the Nedes faced in High Rock under Direnni rule, and the byzantine practices that Cyronords faces in Cyrodiil.

Thought for the day:

Success teaches us nothing; only failure teaches.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:54 pm 
Master
Master

I was not aware of that sexual slavery thing. Perhaps I jumped on the "defend the elves" bandwagon rather too hastily. :S

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:52 pm 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games: All
Platform: PC, Switch
UESPoints: 420
Daemos Avetorii wrote:
I was not aware of that sexual slavery thing. Perhaps I jumped on the "defend the elves" bandwagon rather too hastily. :S

"In contrast to the Ayleids of Cyrodiil, who brutally enslaved any humans they came into contact with, the Direnni simply conquered their local Nedes and then ruled them as a caste of nobility. The aristocratic Elves established a system of feudal vassalage over their human subjects, with rights and privileges that included the "Perquisite of Coition" with any human they desired. Sex with attractive Nedes was considered casual recreation, and Direnni nobles competed to have stables of the most desirable human subjects." (source)

tl;dr the Thalmor could do with a good whitestraking

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:58 pm 
Master
Master

What does whitestraking mean? I googled it and consulted urban dictionary to no effect.
-edit- ooh pelinal whitestrake, now I get it.. I think.