UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Do Argonians favor the empire or the Stormcloaks?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:09 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC, PS3(mostly PS3)
Other Profiles: Some may know me as Gam3rzRus
UESPoints: 0
As the title says. I would like to know what the Khajiit favor, and what the orcs favor.

Post subject: Re: Do Argonians favor the empire or the Stormcloaks?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:17 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

UESPoints: 6
UESPWiki wrote:
However, they have slowly won acceptance in the Empire, in particular for their distinguished service in the Emperor's Legions. Orc armorers are prized for their craftsmanship, and Orc warriors in heavy armor are among the finest front-line troops in the Empire, and are fearsome when using their berserker rage.

From this, we can gather that Orcs in general tend to favor the Empire.

The other two are a harder case, however. There are no Khajiit in Windhelm, and few Argonians. The Argonians that are there, however, dislike the Nords.

Of course though, you can't speak for a whole race due to the actions of a few. So yeah, the Orcs mainly serve the Empire, but some Orcs could favor the Stormcloaks. Same with the Argonians and Khajiit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:29 am 
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks for the clarification. I was just asking so that I can Roleplay it better.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:02 am 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC
While any individual Khajiit is free to support whomever they want, I would assume that the Khajiit of Elsweyr favor neither, as they are allied with the Aldmeri Dominion.

Regardless of the truth of the matter, the Khajiit credited the Thalmor as their saviors. Within fifteen years, Imperial influence in Elsweyr had so diminished that the Empire was unable to respond effectively to the coup of 4E 115 which dissolved the Elsweyr Confederacy and recreated the ancient kingdoms of Anequina and Pelletine as client states of the Aldmeri Dominion. Once more the Empire failed to stop the advance of Thamor [sic] power.

Argonians may be a little more independent, since they don't appear to have a direct allegiance with any nation(s).

Black Marsh had been lost to Imperial rule since the aftermath of the Oblivion Crisis.

Orcs may have reason to favor Stormcloaks over the Empire.

Orsinium wrote:
Orsinium was once again sacked by the combined forces of Hammerfell and High Rock in the early Fourth Era, and many Orc refugees fled east into Skyrim. The kingdom reformed, but has relocated; it is now in between Skyrim and Hammerfell.

Off-Site Links ■ RaptrAvatar Credit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:34 am 
Champion
Champion

Platform: PC (Morrowind, Oblivion) PS3 (Skyrim)
Most of my Argonian characters stayed neutral in the Civil War, a few of them simply slaughtered both Stormcloaks and Imperials when they met them. I did have one who sided with the Imperials after seeing the conditions Argonians lived in under Stormcloak rule in Windhelm, and the residents of the Argonian Assemblage seem too prefer Imperial rule over Stormcloak.

In the end I would say most Argonians would stay neutral, but it depends on the characters background and motivations, as exceptions obviously exist.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:40 am 
Initiate
Initiate

I think what I'll do, is that I will not join the civil war, but in the main quest mission where you are basically giving territory to each side(not sure what it's called) I will favor the empire.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:30 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Platform: Xbox360
The argonians are treated pretty unfairly by the stormcloaks on the docks of windhelm. The stormcloaks are also, obviously, very pro Talos (Lorkhan), and I am unaware as to how argonians feel about Talos(Lorkhan), although I can't imagine they are as excited about him as the nords are.

On the other hand, the empire is much more cosmopolitan and their view on Lorkhan reflects this with their acceptance of the Talos ban and belief in "Shezzar" who is essentially the watered down version of the Nords' Shor.

So I'd have too say that they are probally more empire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:00 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
UESPoints: 5
The Argonians are fiercely independent. It's been shown that they have no love for the Empire, particularly that of the Mede Dynasty, although arguably also the previous Septim Empire.That being said, although they might sympathise with the Stormcloak Rebellion on one level, it is clear that they also have no love for Ulfric, just as he has shown that he has no love for them. A typical Argonian's allegiance is first and foremost to the Hist, who I would posit would be largely uninterested in involving itself (as a single collectivity) in the Civil War in Skyrim. That all said, although most Argonians are connected to the Hist and drawn back to Black Marsh during the Oblivion Crisis, it is conceivable that there might be some independent Argonians who might hold entirely individual views on the issue, and so who might conceivably go either way- although most likely in favour of the demonstrably more tolerant (of their kind, at any rate) Empire, if this was the case.

The Khajiit side with the Adlmeri Dominion, and have seemed not to question the Thalmor on any deep level. Therefore, they are most likely to pursue the Dominion's interests, and either remain neutral, engage in espionage or potentially to aid the Empire/ensure an eventual victory for the Empire. Again, conceivably, independent Khajiit could go either way, but would most likely side with the Empire due to its greater tolerance of their kind (most Nords view Khajiit as nothing but worthless thieves, with some reason I might add, although this is certainly still a prejudiced view).

The Orcs are fairly independent as well, not unlike the Argonians. While they seem to be a more militarised society, they also seem to be less belligerent. They might remain neutral, but we also know of many Orcs serving with and alongside the Imperial Legion, so I would lean to the Empire in this case as well. That said, Nords and Orcish mercenaries have been known to work together in the past, including joint skirmishes on the Morrowind border.

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:26 pm 
The New Number Two
The New Number Two

ES Games: Mw, Ob, Sk
UESPoints: 1
The previous Emperors did turn a blind eye and allowed the Dunmer to enslave Argonians so I would say with regards to the civil war, Argonians would probably sit on the sidelines and watch as the two sides beat the crap out of each other.

Self interest might motivate an Argonian in taking one side but if you look at the argonians in Skyrim, they are treated like the dregs and dont look to gain from anything in the game at all.

The couple in Riften (the bee and barb?) are about the only 'normal' individuals i can remember, the rest are either thieves (esp the one in Solitude who wants you to put the light house out) or labourers and not happy with their lot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:13 pm 
Champion
Champion

Platform: Xbox 360
UESPoints: 10
Logically, I would say the Empire, due to the xenophobia of the Stormcloaks. Tactically, much like the Thalmor, the Argonians might see it as beneficial to temporarily favor the Stormcloaks. Realistically, who can predict lizard men?

Orcs are for the Empire, I'd think. The Infernal City indicated that Orcs of the early Fourth Era were generally grateful for the Empire's assistance, and there's been nothing to suggest this has changed.

Khajiit are too busy getting high and screwing each other to care.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:36 pm 
Lord of the Shivering Isles
Lord of the Shivering Isles

ES Games: Oblivion:GOTY, Skyrim:Legendary edition
Platform: PS3.
UESPoints: 12
Neither. They would stay out of it unless either side posed a direct threat to them. The Black Marsh rarely gets involved with wars and they only invaded Morrowind to reclaim their land.

The Orcs, i think they would favour the empire but due to Skyrim and High Rock destroying their province, i think they would flat out refuse to help them. Granted, some do serve in the legion. But as a whole, they would refuse to help.

The Khajit, they would not get involved unless they wished to provoke the Thalmor and if they decided that they were on the wrong side. At the moment, they believe that the Dominion is good for them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:01 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
UESPoints: 5
Thelastdovah wrote:
only invaded Morrowind to reclaim their land. .

This isn't exactly true. The Dunmer had encroached on parts of northern Argonia, but the Argonians went far deeper into territory that was never their's when they invaded Morrowind during the aftermath of the fall of Baar Dau (as far as Telvannis District in the far north). It's clear that they can be motivated by other factors, so they may alow themselves to become involved in another external conflict if the Hist deemed it beneficial to their cause, what ever that hidden agenda might be.

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:13 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

ES Games: I, II, III, IV, V. Once I caught a fish alive.
Platform: PC & Playstation
UESPoints: 20
I would probably say Empire due to the whole Skyrim for the Nords thing. But it varies from person to person. Some would favour one side, some another, some neither.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:31 am 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Skyrim, ES Blades
Platform: Xbox Series X
Its a mix.

On one hand the Empire invaded Argonia and allowed the Dunmer, who were part of the Empire, to enslave the Argonians for their own profit

On the other hand, the Stormcloaks, while not necessarily racist, still have beliefs that Nords = #1, though in ES Oblivion, the Empire seems to have similar ideals (but for Imperials instead of Nords)

One thing we do know however, is that racism in Tamriel (Specifically for those 2 factions) are not ESPECIALLY limiting. While Argonian dock workers in Windhelm aren't treated the best, they still get along as the Dunmer do. In Riften, there is actually little to no (at least in my experience playing) racial disparities, as the only Tavern is owned and operated by mostly Argonians. In the Empire, there are also a variety of businesses owned by Argonians, and some Argonians used to benefit from the Empire, but as a majority, they were treated similarly to how the Stormcloaks treat them; with varying degrees of tolerance, but rarely acceptance.

If we take this a step further, we know that as Argonians, we can join the either the Imperials or Stormcloaks in the Civil War.

It is important to note that despite being a lore-wise racist, Ulfric Stormcloak will allow you to join the Nord-Centric Stormcloaks and will commemorate you at the end of the Civil War questline. The Stormcloak soldiers you fight alongside, including Ralof, don't exhibit signs of racism.

I would say that because the Empire is a multi-ethnic empire, most people are used to seeing a diverse population of multiple races. In Skyrim, where the majority of the population are Nords and have little interactions with other races, are more conservative, BUT, as we see in the Stormcloaks, accept those from other races that prove themselves. For this reason, I think it is more satisfying to earn the respect of the Stormcloaks then just being accepted as a part of the Empire.

So in conclusion, I would say most Argonians, despite some outlying Stormcloaks who simply are racist to an extreme, would find that the Stormcloaks are better as the Empire, even with its good intentions, has fallen greatly due to political infighting and corruption. It seems only logical that the nords wouldn't want to be a part of them anymore.

Again if we take this further and join the Stormcloaks in the Civil War, Ulfric and many other Stormcloaks would (at least maybe) have a greater tolerance and respect for the Argonians, and maybe treat them better. Maybe not as good as a Nord but still better than the other races, and in several years/decades Argonians would be seen as equals; with the Last Dragonborn being an example to the people of Skyrim that the Saxheel are a race that is to be respected.

Also their mutual hatred of Dunmer could bring them together, as I am sure that the Nords are bitter over their loss in the events of Morrowind.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:06 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Skyrim, ES Blades
Platform: Xbox Series X
Also does anyone know if you can reply in the forum? I can't find the button

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:38 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

Platform: Xbox
Other Profiles: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
UESPoints: 14
theEpicShadowscale wrote:
Also does anyone know if you can reply in the forum? I can't find the button

You can reply with quote or use the quote tags

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:09 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Daggerfall, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC, PS4, Nintendo Switch
Kerr wrote:
Skyrim for the Nords

The ironic thing is that, because Stormcloaks have their own faction dialogue, they don't actually have that line: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Nord That line is generally said by Nords who either don't belong to any faction or whose faction does not have any overwriting dialogue.