UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC

What do you think about this theory?
Simply not possible! 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Not a bit of it makes sense! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Interesting, but I want proof! 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
You're absolutely right! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5
 Post subject: Theory: True Nature of Dagon, Lyg, and Other Stuff
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:43 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, and briefly Battlespire, Arena, and Daggerfall
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: Serine, TurdWarrior23, AllenMLewis17
UESPoints: 0
Molag Bal and Mehrunes Dagon were once one and the same. Vivec claims that Molag Bal once lived among the dreughs (likely in Lyg), and that his
carapace was later found and worn by several people who inherited his power as "The Ruddy Man." Vivec, of course, is not to be entirely trusted -
he embellishes many things to uphold the illusion of godhood for himself and the Dunmer. Mankar Camoran claims that Mehrunes Dagon was born in
the bowels of Lyg by the Magna-Ge (aka Xero-Lyg), and that he was the prince of the Dreughs. Camoran is also a power-hungry religious figure, and
cannot be entirely trusted. Not to mention, no man ever has all of the facts, especially not exactly accurate. But assuming that there are some truths to
both stories... and accounting for unmistakable similarities and coincidences that seem to-good-to-be-true... I think that Molag Bal is actually like a
brother or alter-ego of Mehrunes Dagon. That, much in the same way that Lyg is an "Adjacent Place," Bal is an "Adjacent Being" to Dagon. This
would also explain why both Coldharbour and Lyg appear to be mirror images, however twisted, of Tamriel. Perhaps both are Adjacent Places. It
may even be that, when Dagon destroyed the continent of Lyg, collapsing the Towers of CHIM-EL GHARJYG, he actually sent it to Oblivion, where
Molag Bal now presides over it as his realm. Just think: they say that even the White-Gold Tower (CHIM-EL ADABAL is the stone) is mirrored in
Coldharbour, so maybe that is what the tower in Lyg was. Just a thought... of course, Lyg is supposedly an adjacent place because of Nirn folding in
on itself during the creation of the world, leaving an imprint of Tamriel, so it would make no sense if it also copied a tower that was built much later -
unless the places maintain some sort of magical link whereby certain features are shared remotely... Anyway, even if there are some holes here, there
are clearly some coincidences that are hard to ignore. Besides, who doesn't want to reconcile the conflicting info given by Mankar and Vivec and
literally anyone else who has ever broached the subject?

Note: Just a theory, of course, but based on in-game stuff, obviously, though still conjecture. Also, I have used UESP for years (I don't trust any other Wiki to be as unbiased and trustworthy as UESP, so I only use UESP), but this is the first time a have posted something. Obviously, I apologize if I've formatted something wrong or ruffled anyone's feathers. Also, sources not included, but all stuff directly from this Wiki - visit pages on Lyg and Vivec's Sermon #30-something, etc., etc.). Further note for those who want to engage me in conversation: I realize Michael Kirkbride was a large part of Elder Scrolls lore, but stuff like c0da is strictly NOT CANON to me - only stuff that has appeared in the games or an officially licensed / produced out-of-game text. This is not to say I don't want to talk to you, or that I don't respect your idea of canon - I just want people to know where my mind is at. Thank you, and let me know what you think!

Post subject: Re: Theory: True Nature of Dagon, Lyg, and Other Stuff
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:10 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: III, IV, V, online, V.2
Platform: Ps3 Xbox360 PS4 PC PS5
I like your theory. I like theories. Its not unheard of that entities that choose to divide their power have had that power take on forms of their own. Clavicus Vile, Barbas and Umbra are prime examples of that. I wouldnt think that Molag Bal and Dagon were the same though, I assumed that Dagon was created to topple Molag Bal for and by whatever means.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:23 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, and briefly Battlespire, Arena, and Daggerfall
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: Serine, TurdWarrior23, AllenMLewis17
Thank you for replying! I wonder why everyone seems to think that Dagon and Bal are somehow polar opposites or enemies or something though... domination is not the opposite of change, and they are both the Prince of destruction as well as their other specialties. Obviously, we may never know one way or the other, I just wish we did!

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:37 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Molag Bal is the prince of rape, he seeks to conquer not destroy. Dagon is the prince of ambition and destruction. I think in both or any case the destructive part is usually a means to an end rather than being the primary desire.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:01 am 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox
Other Profiles: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
UESPoints: 14
Dagon is also a revolutionary, not just destruction, natural or otherwise

So it really isnt a surprise if the Prince of Subjugation had a few clashes with Dagon's upheavel. I'm not saying this bc of relevancy to OP, but bc thats just the nature of the game. Even like minded Daedra might have their run-ins

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:09 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

True, however the relevant point is that its incredibly unlikely Dagon and Molag Bal are one and the same as they both harbour different wants and desires. Lyg being Coldharbour sounds more plausible but also probably is highly doubtful seeing as entering Lyg seems to be extensively more arduous than Coldharbour, the latter of which I assume uses a gate like any other plane of oblivion rather than Folding yourself in an impossible manner to arrive in the former XD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:28 pm 
Warder
Warder

Hope this isn't necromancy but it was still on the first page...

This premise reminds me of this: https://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/commen ... h_meridia/

The Magna-Ge-Meridia-Dagon-Bal-Lyg connection is certainly interesting...the 'cephalomer'/ dreugh/ Altmer of the sea connection is also very interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:05 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

That is one of the best things ive ever read :heart: