UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 4:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Usefulness of ESO Volumes I & II for Pen'n Paper Campaign?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:44 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, started Skyrim
Platform: PC, 360
UESPoints: 0
I'm currently working on expanding an early adaptation of the Elder Scrolls that a fan created for the Savage Worlds Pen'n Paper RPG. Previously I helped my son run a short campaign using those rules, which centered on Cyrodiil and surrounding environs. It went very well and wasn't too much work as we'd both played Oblivion,
I had the official game guide for some background and the players only adventured as far a field as nearby settlements; Chorrol, Bruna, Cheydinhal, Skingrad and Bravil. I want to create and run a tabletop and a virtual tabletop campaign that branches across Morrowind, Cyrodiil and Skyrim with the option to adventure even beyond. That's got me hunting for a good lore reference that I can draw upon, possibly even in the midst of a game session.

I have the softcovers for The Morrowind Prophecies, The ES IV Oblivion Official Game Guide and the ES V Skyrim Official Game Guide. While the Morrowind Prophecies also covers the 2 expansions, my Oblivion and Skyrim guides only cover the base game. Unfortunately, I don't have Internet connectivity in the room I run tabletop sessions in, so I can only use printed books or PDFs on my tablet. So that's got me considering a purchase of The Elder Scrolls Online - Volumes I & II. Having never seen those books on any bookstore shelves, I have no idea of the breadth of their coverage and the quality of the contents. Some of the things I need in term so of lore are:

• Factions - not just the factions players can join, but others that exist in the background such as cults, guilds and orders.
  • Deities and Cosmology - Gods & Goddesses and the creation of Nirn, Oblivion, etc.
  • Regional lore (races/ancestries, primary locations, kingdoms, etc.) - I've got a fair amount on Morrowind-Vvardenfell, Cyrodiil and Skyrim, but next to nothing for the rest of Morrowind. I'm also keen for lore on Blackwarsh, Elsweryr, Valenwood, Hammerfell, High Rock & Summerset Isle.
  • Expanded bestiary - the MW Prophesies and ES IV & V game guides do a good job detailing the monsters and NPCs, but I wouldn't mind having details on NPC/monsters from other ES games like Daggerfall and ESO
  • Lore for the ES IV & V expansions; lore for the Shimmering Isles and and any other locations added by Dragonborn or Dawnguard
  • Lore for legendary/named items (weapons, armor, magick artifacts, scrolls, etc.) that are found outside of Morrowind-Vvardenfell, Cyrodiil and Skyrim.

I'm wondering if anyone can confirm whether or not ESO Vols I & II will provide what I'm looking for?
If anyone can comment on how consistent their contents are with the lore in ES III, IV and V, that would be helpful and appreciated. As well, if anyone feels I'd be better of saving my $ and just using the 3 books I already own, by all means say so.