UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The god "Springseed": any ideas? (King Edward, Part X)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:55 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Battlespire, Redguard
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 0
In King Edward, Part X, specifically in a "story within a story" told by one character to another, a group of gods show up in Skyrim to confront Sai, the god of luck: Mara, Reymon Ebonarm and a few others. Among them is a figure described as a "green clad ranger" and "a handsome blond man, greenclad, with a bow". This god is apparently named "Springseed", though that's only implied by the text, not made explicit.

I've always wondered if this "green clad ranger" is supposed to align with any figure who's shown up anywhere else in the series, or if there's anything else known about him from official or semi-official sources.

To anticipate a likely answer: the "green clad ranger" / "Springseed" is not Jephre, as Jephre's present too, but as a separate figure, described as a wood elf bard—and Jephre is both named himself by the text and the character who names a different god present as "Springseed", so it's doubly clear that the guy I'm describing isn't Jephre.

Unlike most of the gods appearing in this chapter, there's no hyperlink to an article about a god in either Elder Scrolls wiki for when this god's mentioned in the text of King Edward, Part X, suggesting that, if the god is meant to align with any other god by another name, it remains an open question.

What intrigues me about "Springseed" is how the story heavily implies that, like Sai, "Springseed" took a mortal wife and sired a child at some point, which he handled better than Sai did (according to "Springseed" himself) because he "arranged matters" in some way.

I wonder if he's in any way conceptually tied to "Ephen", who was apparently present in one of the Daggerfall demos as a god of the wild but didn't make it into the final release version of the game. In any case, the figure I'm describing from King Edward isn't the same as the Dunmer noble Ephen who inspired a cult, as that Ephen shows up two volumes later in the exact same book, King Edward—which is, after all, a book found in Daggerfall. Maybe a god of rangers, or hunters, or bowmen, etc., named "Springseed" was originally envisioned as part of Daggerfall (or the original "Ephen" was renamed "Springseed" at some point during development), but he never appeared outside of King Edward, or maybe the writer of King Edward just thought the guy up for the book.

Or maybe I'm missing something obvious...! In any case, I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on this guy.