UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dark Brotherhood questions
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:59 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Daggerfall, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC, PS4, Nintendo Switch
UESPoints: 0
First of all, does anyone know what the Night Mother's name was when she was still alive, working for the Morag Tong? Secondly, how much of this is true? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOHAsv6HhKs In other words, would killing a few people here and there really satisfy Sithis's hunger? If given the opportunity, would the average DB member allow all Mundus to be consumed by the Void, or do they really just care about killing people and getting paid for it? That being said, to most elven fundamentalists, Mundus is already "the House of Sithis".

Post subject: Re: Dark Brotherhood questions
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:47 am 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Skyrim
Platform: PC, Xbox
Sithis is not a real God in the same sense that Stendarr is. He is one interpretation of Lor'Khan. His worshipers shape his personality, as opposed to the reverse. This is how the being that is Talos can also be the being that is Sithis.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:06 am 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox
Other Profiles: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
UESPoints: 14
@OT: I don't think its ever been confirmed who is the Night Mother or her name, just hints into the role's origins in that Morag Tong and its connections with Mephala.

Also as far as satisfaction, its worth noting almost always there is a median of some sort to interprete Sithis's will, and if you run under the assumption the DB is just another variant to the Morag Tong with the same patron, then it shouldnt be too surprising my the toll in death is always.

If taken to the more literal, I don't think Sithis actually cares so much over one soul or two, but that violent change is occuring and piece by gradual piece the Void claims all once more. But like, I also just dont think Sithis is as invested into their whims as they personify him to be(Sithis isn't a unique deity if their's, argonians and Hist also worship him) just the same that your average DB assassin isn't a full faithful much like their Morag cousins. Not at all to say traditions arent honored and the devout lack sway.
Quote:
Sithis is not a real God in the same sense that Stendarr is.

Sithis is very much a god, being the very personification of Padomay(the primordial chaos) but not of the et'ada(since obviously he predates them)

The problem isnt so much his divinity, something even Daedric princes attest to(even denoting some of their oldest and most powerful kin closer to Sithis) but in so far that his worship is either unambiguous much like another stamp on history.. a matter of fact nobody bothers to spend two thoughts on, or direct worship is shunned without any of the potential rewards of his spurned spawn(i.e Daedra are very invested into affairs, he's even less so than the Aedra, which isnt much)

The simple fact is, even if you just ignore the hairline differences between Primordial and Personification, by the end of it all Creator Entities in TES arent as revered when you got more proximal deities(Lorkhan, Auriel/Akotash) or those straight up responsible for your race or culture(Malacath, Azura).

Also, when you start to apply mortal belief into deity alterations, at a certain point that becomes as minimal to different interpretations of creation, similarities or not you cant *change* the origin. When you start talking about Primordial forces or mere universal concepts like death, change, absense what have yeah.. there really isn't much to shape especially when whatever entity is there could be more alien or omnipotent than those we are accustomed to. Its like trying to bend a blank slate of absolutes. Sure its easy to draw a face on it or have vague guesses on intents, but bend it will not, and a false lie is all that you will carve

Also just to nip this in the butt.
Sithis =/= Lorkhan
Padomay ≥ Sithis > Lorkhan

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:25 pm 
Associate
Associate

Padomay is a God whereas Sithis is a mortal interpretation OF that God. I suspect that the Night Mother is in fact Namira, based on the Khajiit mythos connection between the two deities as father/daughter or male/female incarnations. I also highly suspect that Seth is the more public interpretation of Sithis, with Seth being a still dark but ultimately acknowledged deity with an established presence in various kingdoms.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:54 pm 
World Class Eejít
World Class Eejít

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox
Other Profiles: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
UESPoints: 14
Night Mother as we know her is almost certainly Mephala's avatar, both in that their operation does not change nor their proximity to Sithis

Also its pretty worth noting that various regional beliefs tend to prioritize certain deities(like the Khajiit with Namira and the sole contribution of the Dro-m'Athra) especially to whom they value most(or hate most). But its pretty persistent over which Daedra uphold a closer link, and others we can assume from their general heirarchy(i.e Herma Mora > Hircine)

Also I dont think Seth really matters anymore in so far that I dont think he's seen any content outside of Arena.. and as we know alot of lore concepts took a big shift with some stuff just being dropped or changed. So idk there
Quote:
Padomay is a God whereas Sithis is a mortal interpretation OF that God.
Ya that sounds more accurate. Tbf tho, personifying Primordial forces under mortal concepts just makes sense. Its like giving an identity to the Void like some have.. despite it being nothing more than absense in its purest form

~Forever a UESP user~
[?]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:10 am 
Associate
Associate

Well, as I understand it a lot of what separates the deities is their level of individuality within the dream. Anu and Padomay, by whatever name you like, are so primordial as to be more like the Force from Star Wars than a God per se. Yffre also sort of falls into that category of more-force-than-being. The Daedra would be the most aware of the deities, with variations in their depiction having more to do with mortal ignorance than how they are perceived. Clavicus Vile, for instance, knows that the Eternal Prince worshiped in Rimmen is just him depicted as an Ethnic human. Kyne, on the other hand, thinks, feels and experiences the reality of Kyne. Kyne knows that she has another form called Kynareth, but she does not act like Kynareth or have the same personality. The Daedra may enjoy the occasional LARP, but the Aedra are sort of half asleep, responding to names and rituals they recognize out of habit and rote.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:04 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Skyrim, ES Blades
Platform: Xbox Series X
Cursegrind wrote:
Sithis is not a real God in the same sense that Stendarr is. He is one interpretation of Lor'Khan. His worshipers shape his personality, as opposed to the reverse.

I heard that Lorkhan was created by Sithis to go and destroy the universe so stop the Aedra from enslaving everything Sithis had created.