UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Elder Scrolls D20
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:25 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, Skyrin
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: None
UESPoints: 0
It doesnt exist... Yet.

But, while checking a different D20 RPG, I may have figured out a very simple wayr to get around to making a magic systen for it! BUT ALLRIGHT. One step at a time.

First of all, for those of you not familiar with it, there is a multitude of D20 RPGs out there, many of which taking major inspiration from Dungeons and Dragons third and 3.5 edition and pathfinder. Which is to say, for a example, characters have six basic attributes: Strenght( Ruling how much damage you can deal with meele weapons, as well as how accurate you are with then, how much weight you can carry, amongst others ), Dexterity( How agile your character is: Determining how good your character is at dodging attacks, mostly, and doing any kind of activity that requires fine motor skills, like unlocking doors ), Constitution( Determining how durable your character is ), Intelligence( How "smart" your character is, in terms of booksmarts: Or, perhaps more accuratelly, your IQ. Determines how many skill points you can invest on the several different skills, how good you are with "intellectual" skills etc. ), Wisdon( How "Intuitive" you are, as well as your willpower ), and Charisma( Your people skills, basiclaly )

So, in standart Dungeons and Dragons 3.5, only certain classes can use magic at all, and they all cast from a certain, pre-set list. However, I am thinking to, in the Elder Scrolls D20, to use a... Different, systen :p.

-By default, all characters have a "Mana score" equal to their Wisdon score.

-There exists a list of spells. Each spell has both a certain amount of Mana points that must be paid to cast it, and requires you to take a Spellcraft check to cast it( Spellcraft being one of the skills. ) against a certain DC, depending on the spell.

-You regain your Mana score at a ratio of one per hour.

-By default, while any character CAN learn any spell, they must go look for a teacher to actively "teach" it to then, in a process that would take at least one week per Mana point the spell costs, and probably cost plenty of gold. However...

-Certain classes ( Namely, the magic-specialized classes of Arena: The Mage, the Sorceror, the Healer, the Nightblade, the Spellsword, and the Battlemage. And maybe the Bard too ) get certain bonuses related to spellcasting. In particular, the following are bonuses all of these classes would share:

-Bonus Mana points( 3 per level for Sorceror, 2 per level for the Mage and Healer, 4 per 3 levels for the Battlemage, 3 per 2 levels for the Spellsword and the Nightblade. )

-Extra learned spells. At certain levels, these classes would automatically learn a spell "for free"( It is generally implied members of these classes are always researching and working on new spells, after all ). However, said spell must come from one of a certain set of "schools" determined by the class( I will be using the Morrowind ES schools instead of the DnD schools. A Mage can learn spells of any schools like that: A Battlemage, however, can only learn spells from Destruction, Alteration, Mysticism, or Conjuration. A Healer from Restoration, Alteration, Mysticism, or Illusion. A Spellsword from Destruction, Alteration, Mysticism, or Restoration. And A Nightblade from Illusion, Alteration, or Destruction )

... And some other bonuses depending on the class that will be decided as I get deeper into class design :p. Now, one more thing.

On saving throws: As you all know, in the original DnD, the DC of the saving throw of a spell equalled to 10 + The spell level + your relevant ability score modifier. I dont know if I will be wanting to keep "Spell levels" on this world. However, regardless, the relevant ability score modifier will be:

-Wisdon for Restoration, Alteration, and Destruction.
-Intelligence for Mysticism and Conjuration.
-Charisma for Illusion.

In other words, determined based on the spell, NOT on your class.( Though, some classes still would have reason to favour a specific ability score, if you want to focus on spells of specific schools. )

Post subject: Re: Elder Scrolls D20
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:28 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, started Skyrim
Platform: PC, 360
UESPoints: 0
I'm very late to the party, but since no one replied to this thread I guess I'm not really that late. ;) Anyhow...I'm wondering if you've seen the True20 Pen'n'Paper RPG. It's rules were derived from the D&D 3e System Reference Document (like all other D20 RPGs), but it's more skills focused (no class restricted of class favored skills) and IMO more suitable to the Elder Scrolls Setting. It differs from other D20 RPGs in that classes are called Roles and there's just 3 of them - a Warrior role which would include ES classes like barbarian, knitght, an Expert role which would include ES classes like rogue, thief and assassin and an Adept role which would include ES classes like Mage, Sorcerer and Healer. It's roles are similar to the 3 specializations of Combat, Magic and Stealth that all Morowind and Oblivion classes were grouped under.

Magic (called supernatural powers) in it is quite open and more like how it works in Oblivion or Skyrim as opposed to Morrowind. There's shaping spells for all of elements (fire, water, earth, etc.) and more (void, death), which in some ways remind me of the way spells are handled in Oblivion . There's also an Adept handbook that has options for different magic schools, which could be easily tweaked to embrace the different spells schooll in ES. And best of all if you find the core magic system isn't to your tastes, there's a True Sorcery supplement that is a completely free form way of handling magic.