A place to discuss and ask questions about the fifth part of The Elder Scrolls series and its expansions
Post a reply

Re: Skyrim Addiction? Retired, but having hellafun.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:54 am

Well, that depends on you as a player. Some people consider getting all skills to 100 completing the game. Some people think it's beating every quest. And still others swear it's discovering every location.

So yeah, there's no definitive answer.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:02 am

thanks, because I did not see a definate end, so that must be just individual preference.'

Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:45 am

Ursula, I was always rather frustrated when trying to use a bow on horseback. Have you any advice?

I really like running enemies down on horseback whenever I can. Has a very medieval feeling about it. With the horseback archery, though, I'd almost have to default to Orcish armor for that Mongolian, eastern feeling ^^

I always use Skyrim as a creative outlet of mine. It is one of my games that I will put down and pick up once every few months. I think it is about time I pick it back up. I'm about to get my own apartment which means privacy, keeping the television to myself, and playing relentlessly without interruption! As a game design major, living in a space with 6 other game designers leaves very little room, privacy, focus, or comfort for actual, recreational gaming. Any gaming I do these days is mostly "research." But writing character backstories, fan fiction, side quest and mod ideas has always been a way to release my creative juices, and actually inspired me to pursue game design :) Todd Howard's Dice Keynote also holds a special place in my professional heart.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:20 pm

I sometimes have these long periods of time when I'm not playing Skyrim at all. However, it's the type of a game which always manages to call me back again. Like tatortodd, I really enjoy using it as a creative outlet. While I might find other games better in gameplay, story, etc, Skyrim offers me freedom not many titles do. I love to create characters, mess around with the mods, try out new roleplaying ideas, take pretty screenshots, do challenges, whatever comes to my mind. Whenever it seems to get boring, I can always spice it up with various things. Thus I don't see its' life span ending in a long time. I take breaks from it, sure, but to actually retire from it? Nope. Maybe when TESVI comes out but not before.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:03 pm

I think this will be the last month I play Skyrim (for a long while).I still have a couple of things that I want to do and I think a month will be enough time to do them and play with some new mods as well.I'll probably go back to Daggerfall and maybe Oblivion but mostly I'll be sinking my time into work and new games.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:40 am

I tink you finish the game if you have exploited al of the options of your playstyle(quest lines matching them)
but there is no real ending or something that what makes is so great :)

Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:44 am

I find myself going into post level 40/save no. 400+ fatigue and end up deleting/replacing a character because I either think of a better one or I somehow dislike the skillset that I devoted the first 60+ hours of gameplay to. I will say though that I can get back into the Skyrim saddle easier than Dragon's Dogma, I think with the latter it might be the pawns and their excessive behavior when it comes to pointing things out over..and over..and over.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:14 am

I'm working on making my character good at.. everything. That's my goal. It sometimes gets boring, having completed all major quest lines and most major quests.. I just emerse myself in roleplay, completely imagined adventures. Find some neat in game stuff along to way too. The more I play, the more I find detailed characters or situations that I wish they had built quests around. I'm constantly looking up a unique character's name on UESP to see if there are any associated quests, and I'm usually disapointed to discover not. Such as, the Vampire court wizard in Solitude, Lemkil the jerk of a dad in Rorikstead, the Orc war chief with no wife, helping that woman in Whiterun own that bar, theres so much more. Kind of a bummer. I'm level 48 right now and have only maxed three skills, so I definitely have a long way to go with my original goal.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:32 pm

my current hero isn't going to be good at everything (i don't think) but I plan on having all the magical and crafting skills pretty much mastered. There's also the question of the ebony warrior who i suspect will pwn me unless i have some good martial skills, so i am planning on beefing up the relevant shouts and protection magic, and currently working through the main quest and stormcloak stories. I have done the mages guild and started Dragonborn, but nothing much else, and even though he's 86th level i don't think i have seen Riften yet. In fact you could draw a line from Windhelm, under the throat of the world and across to Markarth and i have only been north of that lol

plenty done, plenty yet to do

Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:18 pm

@wow mattbott, you have a precise kind of playstyle? I mean slowly doing everything in one area? No fast travel I am guessing?

Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:24 pm

farore wrote:I'm working on making my character good at.. everything. That's my goal. I just emerse myself in roleplay,

To each their own but how can one person be good at everything? That's the opposite of roleplay, imo. One of my characters has finally made it to level 56 (the highest of any) and I don't know if any of them will ever make it to the max. They just wander around, do some quests here and there, but roleplay is what keeps it fun for me. If my characters don't have stories and try to achieve everything, that gets boring. One person can only do so much.

I just created a new character, a Nord male. Totally different from the elves I love to play (and my one Imperial). Figured its was time to play a dude. A rico suave dude. :P I am having hellafun playing Skyrim lately. I didn't play for 2 months and came back to it a couple weeks ago, been staying up late at night playing. I'm sure the excitement will fade eventually. Taking breaks is the way the game stays fresh for me.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:29 pm

I saw your new Dude Dohva., another ruggedly handsome guy. I am sure you will have fun with him. It does take getting used to playing a guy. (for me it did). FUN!

Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:06 pm

Still playing. My first pure mage is now at level 43 and recently finished the MQ. Not only has my addiction continued, I've passed it along to a friend. He recently began having a lot of free time and decided to pick up a few games. I suggested Skyrim to him and he's now hooked. I've received several texts in the middle of the night with colorful language and cursing my name for introducing him to the madness.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:26 pm

Ursula R. M. wrote:@wow mattbott, you have a precise kind of playstyle? I mean slowly doing everything in one area? No fast travel I am guessing?

yeah it's just the way this guy worked out, usually radiant quests open up areas, but not this time

I've been reluctant to do the main quest cos i am enjoying this one so much and usually things fizzle out once i have been to Sovngard..

Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:02 pm

Jabberdave wrote:Still playing. My first pure mage is now at level 43 and recently finished the MQ. Not only has my addiction continued, I've passed it along to a friend. He recently began having a lot of free time and decided to pick up a few games. I suggested Skyrim to him and he's now hooked. I've received several texts in the middle of the night with colorful language and cursing my name for introducing him to the madness.

Ha! Maybe your friend should come into the Forum too!
I may have to start a "group" for therapy, Skyrim Addicts, not exactly Anonymous.
We would have to know all the symptoms before we can diagnose.
I have a pretty dang good idea what they are though! :wat:

Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:31 pm

Ursula R. M. wrote:
Jabberdave wrote:Still playing. My first pure mage is now at level 43 and recently finished the MQ. Not only has my addiction continued, I've passed it along to a friend. He recently began having a lot of free time and decided to pick up a few games. I suggested Skyrim to him and he's now hooked. I've received several texts in the middle of the night with colorful language and cursing my name for introducing him to the madness.

I may have to start a "group" for therapy, Skyrim Addicts, not exactly Anonymous.

I've told him about the forums and he does visit another sports related forum that we both post on, but he just blows my phone up just about every evening with questions and updates. Then, about twice per week, I have to go over there and check his inventory, his build to date and what quests he's working on to make suggestions.

His biggest problem right now is, as we probably all were at first, he's a pack rat and having serious issues with weight. He'll get it, though. He is stone cold hooked, though.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:21 am

Jabberdave wrote:
Ursula R. M. wrote:

I've told him about the forums and he does visit another sports related forum that we both post on, but he just blows my phone up just about every evening with questions and updates. Then, about twice per week, I have to go over there and check his inventory, his build to date and what quests he's working on to make suggestions.

His biggest problem right now is, as we probably all were at first, he's a pack rat and having serious issues with weight. He'll get it, though. He is stone cold hooked, though.

Yep, he's got it bad !! He can be the first on the couch then... :lol:

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:50 am

Jabberdave wrote:
Ursula R. M. wrote:

let him se the steed stone for his weight problem:P and advice to only keep the nessecary:P

Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:57 am

Dohva. wrote:
farore wrote:I'm working on making my character good at.. everything. That's my goal. I just emerse myself in roleplay,

To each their own but how can one person be good at everything? That's the opposite of roleplay, imo. One of my characters has finally made it to level 56 (the highest of any) and I don't know if any of them will ever make it to the max. They just wander around, do some quests here and there, but roleplay is what keeps it fun for me. If my characters don't have stories and try to achieve everything, that gets boring. One person can only do so much.

I just created a new character, a Nord male. Totally different from the elves I love to play (and my one Imperial). Figured its was time to play a dude. A rico suave dude. :P I am having hellafun playing Skyrim lately. I didn't play for 2 months and came back to it a couple weeks ago, been staying up late at night playing. I'm sure the excitement will fade eventually. Taking breaks is the way the game stays fresh for me.

Well I suppose good at a little bit of everything. I can't see me ever using pickpocket, among other things. In real life I'm interested in almost everything and love to learn about everything. In each job setting I have worked in so far I have learned everything that I can because it interests me and I've gotten far by doing so. My character is an extenaion of that to a much larger degree. I want her to be a good warrior, mage, and stealth character. But saying everything is an exaggeration because I won't want to work on something that doesn't interest me or is unimportation to me. It may not work for some, but I get it, so it works for me.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:41 pm

Farore, my father has that same level of curiosity. He is one of the greatest men I know almost entirely because of it. Good on ya, man.
Post a reply