UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 10:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: lead the way to any current quest target! (script request)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:38 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Skyrim
Platform: Mac Mini 2012 Server 2TB. 10 pro.16gb
UESPoints: 0
Can one write scripts for Skyrim? i need to make a new option for followers/summons that'll make them lead the way to any current quest target!

Post subject: Re: lead the way to any current quest target! (script reques
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:55 pm 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim, Online
Platform: Steam
Other Profiles: Steam: Spark01
Looking at the documentation, it appears that it may be possible to make a follower go to a certain point using PathToReference(ObjectReference aTarget, Float afWalkRunPercent). However, I'm not entirely sure how to specify that point yet. I'll keep looking!

My mods:

Destroy the Thieves Guild!
Un-Unobtainable Clothes
Familiar Friends
Destruction Weapons

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:59 pm 
Associate
Associate

thanks Spark... would be great if you could make the female sovngarde summon, lead me to any quest target. i hate having followers, they hog kills, i need someone i can dismiss into oblivion, on a whim!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:45 am 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Daggerfall
Platform: Mainly PC
If you look at the quest The Cursed Tribe (DA06 in the CK), which has you following Yamarz to a cave rather than the other way round, you'll notice that although he does have a script for deciding which AI package to use, the actual implementation of getting him to travel to the cave is achieved through an AI package (specifically, an AI package based on the Travel template) rather than a script. (What you want to look at is the DA06YamarzAlias within the Quest DA06, and the specific package that deals with him travelling is DA06YamarzStage80WaitOutsideCave.)

The trouble is, when you try to edit the target Location of that package, the option to set the location to an Alias rather than a specific Reference is greyed out. This is because the package's Owner quest is set to NONE, so it doesn't have access to the Aliases from any quest. If you set the Owner quest to something (in this case, you'd be creating a new quest called something like NPCLeadTheWay), you can set the Location target to any Alias of that quest. However, what you want in this case is an Alias from a different quest, so I think you'd need to write a script to find what the map marker Alias from the active quest is filled with, and then assign that to the Alias for the NPCLeadTheWay quest (there may be a way to do that without scripting, but I don't know how). Once you've done that, you'll need to set the package Flags for Ignore Combat (so the NPC doesn't fight) and maybe set a condition that the package only runs when the NPC is less than a certain distance from the player (so that the NPC will wait for the player if necessary).

I know next to nothing about modding (although I'm trying to learn, which is why I'm looking into this), so I have no idea if that would actually work (specifically I don't know if the game will allow you to fill an Alias in NPCLeadTheWay with something that another quest has reserved, but that's not the only thing I'm unsure about), but that's where I'd start.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:13 pm 
Associate
Associate

very interesting. thegooseking. Sure hope we can figure this out...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:18 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind, Skyrim
Platform: PC
I wonder how they got this to work with Vilja. I have not used the Vilja mod in a long while but I remember letting her take the lead. So, I went looking and found this in the description on the Nexus page.

Quote:
Lead the way. Vilja doesn't always have to follow your lead. YOU can also go adventuring with HER. Yes, you can actually be her companion. She might suggest it, or you can suggest that she takes the lead. She might show you places you've never seen before! It's a very different and rewarding roleplay-experience to travel side by side instead of having a companion always five steps behind you. This feature was originally introduced with Oblivion Vilja, but Skyrim Vilja will do the same thing.

Maybe you should go talk to Emma and see if she will share how they did this.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:57 pm 
Associate
Associate

well, thanks. but i figured out how to fix Clairvoyance, on my thinkpad w500. it was through creation kit. i edited the "hazard" of said. changing the .nif to a random fire anim. i got from nexus. too bad i couldn't use skyrim's .nif's it woulda been cooler, but the kit doesn't allow me to type the location. so i'm stuck using downloaded "nifs" or can i?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:35 pm 
Associate
Associate

itoikenza wrote:
Can one write scripts for Skyrim? i need to make a new option for followers/summons that'll make them lead the way to any current quest target!

is this possible yet? x86rim for!