UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch [USLEEP]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:26 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 0
Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch [USLEEP]

As many of you may remember, last year around this time we conducted a poll on whether or not it was the right time to consider unifying the unofficial patches into a single package. At the time, about 25% of those who responded to the poll were still in a position where they did not have all 3 DLCs for the game. So we decided against merging everything at that time.

Fast forward to today, it's become quite clear that that 25% is far less than it was, and more and more people have been asking when we're going to be doing this. This post is your answer. :)

Shortly after the release of USKP 2.1.3, we will begin the process of unification to merge the vanilla USKP plus all of the DLC patches into one all encompassing mod, which will be known as "Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch", or USLEEP for short. A mouthful, but a catchy acronym.

We have decided that the best course of action will be to rename the esp to match the mod's updated name. It will remain an ESP file flagged as an ESM as that makes the process of working on it less of a hassle for us and as has been proven, the game, CK, and existing mod management tools are completely fine with it. We have also verified that switching the ESP name will not cause any scripts modified by the project, or added new to the project, to throw Papyrus errors. The only side effect will be that the retroactive update scripts will all run again. That shouldn't cause any problems though and we'll make sure any scripts manipulating formlists are safeguarded against generating duplicate references in them.

We estimate the time needed to do the work of merging everything together and then putting it through testing will take a few months. So we are not anticipating another release for the project between now and November while this work is done. Time commitments to other things are the main reason for this, so we figure giving ourselves enough time for that is prudent. Plus this also gives enough warning ahead of time that we're going forward with this.

As many existing issues as we could resolve for the 2.1.3 release cycle have now been cleared from the tracker and any issues remaining that are not feasible to fix have been closed appropriately. Any new issues submitted after this point will need to wait until the unification process is complete before we will even begin to consider touching them. Please, DO report them, just don't expect action for awhile. If it should become necessary (God forbid) for a hotfix to be released before the unification is done, then that will be the ONLY issue that will be addressed and will be handled only in whatever patch it may affect.

After the unification process is done, the existing separated patches will no longer receive updates. The files will remain up in their existing entries but will be frozen and the comment threads closed where possible. All future support will be handled on a single file entry for the unified project on each site it is hosted on.

Mods which rely on using the USKP/UDGP/UHFP/UDBP are strongly urged to make plans to switch over to the new master file when it's ready. Other mods which import fixes from the unofficial patches are also strongly urged to make sure they are up to date before November. It would also be best if any translated versions of the patches out there get synced up with 2.1.3 so that as many people as possible will have access to them while the unification is underway.

We will have a testing release at some point before the unified patch is ready to go live. The usual cautions against using beta copies on saves you intend to keep will apply. That step is going to last no less than a full month so that there's time enough to shake out any bugs that result from the process.

========================

Some of you may also be wondering what this means for my own projects that make use of the unofficial patches as masters. These will all be converted as needed to run using the unified patch file. Post-unification, I will not release mods that rely on the individual patch files. So things like Bring Out Your Dead, Cutting Room Floor, Ars Metallica, and other stuff, will all get taken care of on whatever schedule fits best as the process moves along. In the case of Cutting Room Floor, this will also open the door to adding cut DLC content that's been getting logged to the tracker. So it'll be worth it :P Once I make these transitions, any old copies relying on the old patch files will be frozen.

Post subject: Re: Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch [USLEEP]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:24 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC
Other Profiles: Xbox Live: "S Carver Orne" PSN/Steam/Origin/Twitch: "SCarverOrne" ESO PC-NA: "@scarverorne"
Neat. I'm in support of anything that reduces the amount of plugins in my load order, as long as it doesn't break anything lol. I have no idea how you're managing to address the previously critical plugin staggering rule (Game, USKP, DLC, DLC patch, rinse and repeat) but that's not for me to figure out haha. But, for clarification, are you saying CRF will be implemented with the new USKP, or simply that you will make the (separate) mod itself compatible with it? And if the former, what would that mean for any mods incompatible with it/them, and (obviously) wanting to still use the USKP? I know I use a few old as hell mods I don't really want to give up that have always seemed to have compatibility issues with CRF, BoYD, Alternate Start, etc.

But it sounds like this is gonna be something great. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:08 am 
Layman
Layman

CRF will continue as a separate project but will become dependent on the USLEEP file when that's ready to go. Same with BOYD.

Anything of mine that isn't currently using the USKP as a master likely won't use USLEEP either. LAL already went legendary awhile back for what that's worth.

Since the old patches will still be available, old mods will have time to make themselves caught up. If they don't, they don't. We don't consider things like that to be sufficient justification to hold back unification. The workload is just getting to be too much in our current setup.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:55 pm 
Layman
Layman

Just a quick update for everyone who may be wondering. Internal testing is going well and we look to be on track for an October beta release - or possibly before the end of September if things go really well. We've been able to confidently say that updating mid-game to USLEEP won't have any negative side effects on your saves, which came as a great relief. Major quest lines for the MQ and factions all appear to be working flawlessly as well. We're still keeping an eye out for ol' Murphy though. Everyone here knows he's lurking, cause that's what he does.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:21 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion
UESPoints: 6
Thanks for the update!

To clarify, is this something that will not work for users who don't have all DLCs? (like me?)

My Skyrim mods:
Saturalia * Babette's Feast * Additional Amulets * Noble Female Clothes

My Oblivion mods:
Full listing is here

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:01 pm 
Layman
Layman

Correct. If you don't have all of the DLCs, you'll need to stay with the individual patches. While they won't be receiving any more updates once USLEEP is out, they still have a huge number of things fixed and will be better than using nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:54 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: TES Anthology
Was this just released today? I just now noticed it. Anyway, downloading.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:12 am 
Layman
Layman

Yes, it was. Sorry, I totally forgot to update this thread :P

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:51 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: TES Anthology
Arthmoor wrote:
Yes, it was. Sorry, I totally forgot to update this thread :P

I forgot to say thanks. And congrats.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:57 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Daggerfall, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC, PS4, Nintendo Switch
I note that the patch makes the Notched Pickaxe no longer disenchantable. Are there any other items that are no longer disenchantable because of this patch, or can I still safely learn Fiery Soul Trap and Huntsman's Prowess?