UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Redguard on win7/32-bit, any way for it to work?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:11 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Oblivion Morrowind Redguard
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: none
UESPoints: 0
I've always wanted to play Redguard, but have only been able to do so once. About a year ago, on a much better PC, (64 bit, twice the processing power etc) I played it for about 20 minutes. It was unbearable on DOSbox. Extreme lag, ear-killing sound and frequent crashes. Not to mention, Norton was convinced it was crawling with viruses and kept deleting bits of it.

Being that I'm on a 32 bit computer, I think I may have better luck running this game. Has anybody released a non DOSbox version, or is there a way to make it work with DOSbox?
Would downloading a copy free count as piracy, or has Bethesda abandoned this game?

(PS. I don't want to use a virtual machine, as I don't have admin permissions (Borrowed computer) or a decent amount of disc space)

Post subject: Re: Redguard on win7/32-bit, any way for it to work?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:23 pm 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO All DLC
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: AKB (Doppelgänger)
UESPoints: 4985
Redguard is essentially lost to time due to lack of developer support, software issues, and it just not being that good anyway to bother saving. And it must be mentioned, playing Redguard on DOSbox eventually becomes utterly impossible no matter what you, making it even harder to save. Furthermore, despite the game being impossible to purchase legally without dropping hundreds of dollars on a copy from some aftermarket dealer, Bethesda has not truly abandoned the game. Anyone who has tried to provide a copy of the game digitally has received cease and desist notices from Bethesda's legal team. And as a rule, we do not allow discussion on piracy ever, so we will not help you there.

My best suggestion to you is that the game is highly linear, so watching a Let's Play basically captures the game as well as a play through would, minus the hours of technical wrangling to even manage to run what is a widely forgettable game in the series.

Thought for the day:

Success teaches us nothing; only failure teaches.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:54 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Arena-Beaten,Daggerfall-Beaten,Battlespire-beaten,Redguard-Still haven't Beaten,Morrowind GOTY-beaten,OblivionGOTY-beaten,Skyrim and its DLC Xbox360-Beaten,ESO-Beaten except DLC(PS4)
Platform: PC,PS4,Xbox One
Yeah just watch an LP.
I was never able to get it to run well enough to beat it though I have heard that it is actually possible now with one of the custom Dosbox Builds out there.

As it really jumped up that much in price,since I bought the game not in box but with the game,manual,addendum and map for less than $100 dollars back in 2010 or so.Since I know I bought it before Skyrim came out.

It was back when I went through and beat all the games in the lead up to Skyrim.Yes I even beat Arena,Daggerfall and Battlespire.All bought legally or using the free versions.I actually bought a copy of Daggerfall for like $70 for my birthday and a year later they released it for free.That was more than a little upsetting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:17 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard, Morrowind Collector's Edition, Stormhold, Dawnstar, Shadowkey, Oblivion Collector's Edition, Skyrim Collector's Edition, Elder Scrolls Online Collector's Edition
Platform: PC, N-Gage, Mobile Phone, PS3, X-Box
Hey it's been a long time since I've posted on UESP as Skywind has been occupying my time, but yes there is a way to get it to work, and to get it to completion, in the Graphics Accelerated Format. http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Elder_ ... _in_DOSBox Make sure you install the GLIDE version, that works perfectly, no crashes :)