UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Questions about how NPCs are listed
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:24 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Online
Platform: PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One
UESPoints: 0
Just two questions I have about how NPCs are recorded on UESP:

1. Are Soul Shriven considered a separate race? I wouldn't consider them separate even though they clearly have differing appearances than "normal" humans, but Cadwell is listed as an Imperial despite some Soul Shriven NPCs listed as Soul Shriven.

2. Are NPCs without official names in the UI considered as NPCs? For example, in The Frozen Man quest three NPC ghosts are seen and have their names clearly explained, but there is nothing in the UI so I assume that's why they don't have official pages. On the other hand, we have Mage Fiirenir in Greenwater Cove - his body can be found but it doesn't have a UI name, yet he has a page?

Clarification would be great.

Post subject: Re: Questions about how NPCs are listed
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:15 am 
Wiki Admin
Wiki Admin

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox, Pc
UESPoints: 10
It depends on the NPC. If they have a model that has a name in the code, it'll likely have a page. The NPC Ghosts in The Frozen Man aren't really NPCs, they are just in the dialogue, rather than actual NPCs. There usually isn't a reason for a page, since all the information about them is from the quest and intrinsically linked to the quest.

Post subject: Re: Questions about how NPCs are listed
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:11 pm 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games: All
Platform: PC, Switch
UESPoints: 420
Idarak wrote:
1. Are Soul Shriven considered a separate race? I wouldn't consider them separate even though they clearly have differing appearances than "normal" humans, but Cadwell is listed as an Imperial despite some Soul Shriven NPCs listed as Soul Shriven.

Soul Shriven all have a race, their appearance is just a skin. You can actually obtain and wear a Soul Shriven player skin with the Imperial City DLC. The problem is when their race isn't immediately apparent (e.g. the indistinct bald Soul Shriven that you see in certain areas, sometimes as static objects rather than actual NPCs). Any NPC on the wiki you see with the race of "Soul Shriven" is incorrect and is missing data.

Idarak wrote:
2. Are NPCs without official names in the UI considered as NPCs? For example, in The Frozen Man quest three NPC ghosts are seen and have their names clearly explained, but there is nothing in the UI so I assume that's why they don't have official pages. On the other hand, we have Mage Fiirenir in Greenwater Cove - his body can be found but it doesn't have a UI name, yet he has a page?

It wouldn't hurt to have pages for those unnamed NPCs if we actually know their names from other sources. The reason they don't have pages is presumably because they aren't picked up by our database tool and no one has taken the time to make the connection between name and ghost.