UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 11:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Location Names
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:04 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Skyrim
Platform: PS4
UESPoints: 0
Hello,

I'm new to the wiki and would love to contribute. Something that I've noticed is that when looking at item locations (e.g., the several locations a book may be found), there are varying formats in which the locations are written (examples - that I made up - below):

Dragonsreach
    Dragonsreach (Whiterun Hold)
    Dragonsreach (Whiterun Hold), in the jarl's bedroom
    Whiterun Hold, Dragonsreach, in the jarl's bedroom
    Dragonsreach Jarl's Quarters (Whiterun Hold)
    Dragonsreach Jarl's Quarters (Whiterun Hold), on the nightstand next to the bed
    Whiterun Hold, Dragonsreach Jarl's Quarters, on the nightstand next to the bed
    Etc.

Consistency of information and formatting is something that I am a bit passionate about, and inconsistencies tickle my brain faster than just about anything else (except maybe a good cup of coffee). To that end, I ask a few humble questions:

1. Does anyone else care about this as an issue?
2. Is there a particular format in which these locations are to be listed? (I personally have a preference, but if there's a "style", I'd rather stick to that.)
3. If it's important to others, is this something I could (very gladly!) contribute to cleaning up?

Personally, I've been creating an enormous spreadsheet for myself with all kinds of information about Skyrim, as there are about 10 different ways I's like to 100% it (crafting every item, reading and collecting every book, completing each of the faction quest lines, etc.). I was going to clean up the locations in my book sheet for myself anyways, so the information would be ready to go...eventually! :)

Please let me know! I'd love to contribute back to a community that has provided me with so much enjoyment.

Yours,
Erin

Post subject: Re: Location Names
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:04 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, Mac, iPad
Other Profiles: SeaGtGruff (Steam), TinklyGosling47 (Xbox)
UESPoints: 20
I think consistency of format is more helpful than formatting which is "all over the place," especially (just to give an example) if there's something specific you want to search for but you aren't sure how to phrase it-- if there's some kind of "formula" or format to how things are written, then it reduces the amount of guesswork.

But I guess when many people are contributing to a wiki then there are bound to be inconsistencies. Having one person go through and tidy things up-- with the approval of The Big Giant Head, of course-- seems like it could be helpful. :)