UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: hoarder lists
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:13 am 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Oblivion
Platform: PS3
UESPoints: 0
I am playing Oblivion on a PS3 and one of my goals is to try to collect at least one of every item in the game. The Wiki was useful, but I had to beat various Wiki lists into something I found useable. For example, clothing was organized as separate lists of outfits, shirts, pants, etc.. I merged those lists and ordered them by name so they match the game's journal apparel tab.

Are there other players that do the same or want to do the same?

Are there already combined lists in the Wiki similar to what I created? If these kind of lists do not already exist, would it be acceptable to create Wiki pages for them?

What should the pages be called? I'm leaning toward "Hoarder lists", but maybe there is a better name?

What data elements should be in the lists and how should they be organized? My initial thoughts: name, id, journal category, comment. Use the item name and id as it appears in the game, like five entries for the five bolts of "Cloth" each with a unique id. Journal category is where the item appears in the character's journal: "Weapons", "Apparel", "Apparatuses", "Potions", etc.. Maybe add some subcategories like: "Weapons enchanted", "Weapons non-enchanted", "Apparel armor enchanted", "Apparel armor non-enchanted", etc.. The comment field will probably be empty for most items, but could contain remarks like: "tutorial", "3 instances", "I shall lie here ..." (written on one of eight Crumpled Piece of Papers), "unique", etc..

Is there a database table or view of the game items behind the Wiki pages? Could the lists mostly be generated with a database query like "select item_name, item_id, journal_tab from Oblivion_items where journal_tab = 'Apparel' order by 1, 2;"? Or will they have to be manually scraped from the Wiki pages and modified into the final lists?

What should the final format be that the user sees on the Hoarder page? I think a table would not be that useful. Probably downloadable CSV files. I can generate PDFs with check boxes from each file that could be printed or used on a computer.

Maybe something similar for the other Elder Scroll games?

Post subject: Re: hoarder lists
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:09 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: III, IV, V
Platform: XB1
UESPoints: 10
You might be able to use these pages to generate your lists:

https://cslist.uesp.net/
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion_Mod:Mod_File_Format

From the first page you can click on eg CLOT for clothing, ARMO for Armour (etc) and then switch to csv (top right) for all the sub-pages, load it all into excel* and remove duplicates on name.

Second page tells you what each 4 letter code means.

Still a hefty amount of work though.

* Other spreadsheet applications are available

Post subject: Re: hoarder lists
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:59 am 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Oblivion
Platform: PS3
UESPoints: 0
I have created several lists already. Not too difficult, a bit tedious collecting from the various pages. I think I will verify my lists using the links you provided, Lord Timster.

My big problem at this time is that I cannot post attachments. What do I need to do to get that permission?