UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Unable to complete surveys
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:05 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: ESO Morrowind
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: N/A
UESPoints: 0
Good morning all!

I've been struggling to find any forums which will answer these questions so hoping you'll be able to help me...

I'm fairly new to ESO and have been hitting a brick wall when it comes to completing Surveys in the Morrowind Expansion in Vvardenfell.

I have already tried 3 different surveys and gone to the exact locations. I have the surveys in my inventory at the time. I am aware there's a plugin or some kind of add-on you can get that marks the locations of the surveys on your map - I don't have that plugin but I've followed the guidance right the way to where the mats should be and there's nothing!

I've tried completing the surveys at the same time as having a writ for the same craft OR without a writ for the same craft as I wondered if that made a difference.

I'm in no doubt at all that I'm heading to the right locations according, at least, to what I've read online and the YouTube videos which make it look so easy...

Any suggestions & ideas what I am getting wrong?

Thank you,

SteveyP.

Post subject: Re: Unable to complete surveys
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:28 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, Mac, iPad
Other Profiles: SeaGtGruff (Steam), TinklyGosling47 (Xbox)
UESPoints: 20
All you need is a survey map in your inventory; you don't need to have an active writ for that crafting line at the same time.

The survey maps can be difficult to locate the exact spots, because sometimes they show only an approximate location on the map, and sometimes the features shown on the survey map can be tricky to match up with the features on the game map-- for instance, what looks like a road might actually be a stream, or vice versa.

The best thing would be for you to post the names of the specific surveys you're trying to find, such as the Alchemist Survey, or the Blacksmith Survey, etc., so we can try to help you locate that one.

I can tell you that the Alchemist Survey in particular seems to always be difficult for me to find.

It helps if you have the passive crafting skills that make the nodes glow-- especially for the Alchemist Survey, since it can be difficult to make out the Alchemy plants among the grass and other regular (non-alchemical) flowers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:42 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
By the way, I see you play ESO on PC. Which server are you on? I play on both the PC NA and PC EU servers, and happen to have a lot of surveys saved up because I haven't been doing them regularly, so if you'd like, we could group to run around Vvardenfell or other zones and collect the surveys you're trying to find. My @ name is the same as in the forum.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:13 am 
Layman
Layman

Hi,

Thanks for the replies!

So it sounds as though I'm definitely doing it right - I ensure I have the survey in my inventory and then go to the location and that should be it!

I do have some of the passives for blacksmithing but despite going to the area there was nothing... so far the guides I've looked up all point to exactly the same locations. So, for example, if I have a woodworking survey that always points me to the south west close to the sunken ship - regardless of which woodworking survey I've got (since they all have different names and images) - all the guidance online tells you to go to the same place for that crafting survey so it's quite easy to marry up what I'm seeing on YouTube with my own screen and see, quite clearly, that nothing is there!

@SeaGtGruff I am very grateful for your offer to help me run around Vvardenfell and complete a few surveys and will likely take you up on it soon if I remain unable to find any.

Failing that, I'll have to log a ticket as I've seen lots of people have had to do that in the past - I just want to make 100% sure I'm not getting something wrong before I do so.

Thanks all!

Stevey.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:06 pm 
Champion
Champion

I don't know what time zone you're in, but your posts in this forum show as being made at about 3 and 4 AM in my time zone (EDT), and there's a good chance that I'll be on at those times, although I could be on either server. If you send a whisper to my @ name it should say whether my account is found; not found means I'm either offline or on the other server. Or send an in-game mail letting me know a good time for you. The best time for me would be after 6 AM UTC (2 AM EDT) when the dailies reset, because in the hours before then I'm usually doing my daily crafting writs, traits research, and mount training on all of my characters.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:44 pm 
Champion
Champion

Here are some notes that I hope will be helpful:

General -- As mentioned previously, sometimes it's confusing whether lines on a survey map are supposed to represent streams, roads, topological features, etc. I usually look N/S and E/W on the map-- i.e., along the same lines of latitude and longitude as where the survey icon is shown-- to find an easily-recognized feature along the coast (if the zone has coastlines) or other identifiable spot (town, ruins, shipwreck, etc.) that helps me locate the survey on the in-game map. Then I put a destination marker at that spot. It can help to zoom in the map display, as long as you don't zoom in too close to see whatever features you're using for the same longitude and latitude.

Alchemist Survey: Vvardenfell -- For longitude, I use the two bumps on the northern coastline. For latitude, I use the bit of land stretching south from Yasammidin on the western coastline. My marker goes just west of some unlabeled Daedric ruins. Port to the Urshilaku Camp Wayshrine, travel east and south on the road that leads to those ruins, but watch out for enemies along the way. The cluster of nodes is a little way from the enemies camped by the ruins, on high ground by a rock outcrop that overhangs a second campfire. If you're approaching from the west or south, look for that second campsite under the overhang, with a small Ashlander tent and two dead Ashlanders by it, then go around the rock to the grassy spot at the top. The nodes are by a trio of tree stumps.

Blacksmith Survey: Vvardenfell -- For longitude, I use the island off the southern coast. For latitude, I use the lake to the west. My marker goes just north of the Nchuleftingth public dungeon, but the nodes are actually near the wayshrine. Port to the Nchuleftingth Wayshrine. Before leaving the wayshrine, turn and look southeast, away from the lava. Note the two closest rock outcrops there-- one due south, and one not quite due east. Thread your way between those two outcrops and bear left toward the southern side of the eastern outcrop. The nodes are between that eastern outcrop and the larger ridge that runs south of it.

Clothier Survey: Vvardenfell -- For longitude, I use the western tip of the island to the north. For latitude, I use the northernmost point of the little inlet to the west that reaches up from the southern coastline. My marker goes at the intersection of those latitudinal and longitudinal lines. Port to the Molag Mar Wayshrine and head east, threading your way between the rocks which lie south of the Dwemer ruins. Turn northward to go around the large outcrop, but then almost immediately turn east when you see a Nix-Ox. There is a large rock right there, between the solitary Nix-Ox and another pair of Nix-Ox. The nodes are just north of that rock, close to the pair of Nix-Ox, so you'll need to deal with them first.

Enchanter Survey: Vvardenfell -- For longitude, I use a point on the southern coastline of the island to the north. For latitude, I use a bend or notch to the east on the northern coast of Vvardenfell. My marker goes a little bit southeast of Valenvaryon. Port to the Valley of the Wind Wayshrine and head west, or port to the Urshilaku Camp Wayshrine and head east. The nodes are south of Valenvaryon, just southeast of a pool of steaming water. You'll need to deal with a Nix-Hound or two before harvesting them.

Jewelry Crafting Survey: Vvardenfell -- Jewelry surveys don't have graphical maps, so they're usually more difficult to locate, but this one is easy. Put your destination marker on the island that's just southwest of the Gnisis Wayshrine. Port to the Gnisis Wayshrine and head to that island, which is basically just a large outcrop just off the coast. The nodes are on the southern side of the outcrop, facing a shipwreck that's not very far away.

Woodworker Survey: Vvardenfell -- Zoom in on the map so you can clearly see the shipwreck that's to the southwest of Zainsipilu. My marker goes on the coastline, due north of the shipwreck. Port to the Seyda Neen Wayshrine and head west. The nodes are on the coast, north of the shipwreck, by the largest tree.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:29 pm 
Layman
Layman

Hey SeaGtGruff - thanks so much for all the advice below it's extremely useful!

I think I may have figured out the problem...

The Jewelry Survey for Vvardenfell is one of the easiest to find as you've said - however - I got a Jewelry Survey and without delay or hesitation went STRAIGHT to that location - following step-by-step your advice below and a video online and it's not difficult to see straight away that there's nothing there whatsoever...

The Jewelry Surveys, like you said below, have writing on them telling you where to go - and it immediately became obvious that the survey I had picked up in Vvardenfell wasn't for Vvardenfell. It mentioned Yanurah's Respite which is a location in Bangkorai!!!

So, I've one last question: If you pick up a survey following completion of a writ, shouldn't that survey be for a location in that zone? I.e. I completed the writ in Vvardenfell and have been assuming that all surveys I pick up will be for that zone. I'm now thinking that was my mistake and they are... all over the place!!!!!

If that's the case, completing surveys will be a lot harder than I thought but at least I'll eventually learn what's what and find them!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:07 am 
Champion
Champion

When you get a survey from doing a daily crafting writ, the survey can be from any zone, not just the one you were in when you completed the writ. If you look at the name of a survey in your inventory, it should say the zone it's for in its name, just like I showed in my post: "Jewelry Crafting Survey: Vvardenfell."

So if it's for Bangkorai, it should be listed as "Jewelry Crafting Survey: Bangkorai."

Actually, I don't use any add-ons, so if you're using add-ons then it's possible that one or more of them might be changing your inventory UI.