UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Problems with Whil-o-Whisps and Ghost Monsters
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:45 am 
Layman
Layman

UESPoints: 0
Hi,
I leveled with the realistic leveling mod. My character is at level 13. Some enemies are very strong but doable. More and more Whil-o-Whisps and stronger Ghost are occuring.
I have problems fighting Whil-o-Whisps and the Ghosts which both use Absorb Health.

What would be a good enchanted weapon against both of theese?

I found a suggestion for a Dagger:
1. Drain Health 100 x 1s
2. Shock Damage 10
3. Weakness to Shock 100 x 1s
4. Weakness to magic 100% x 1s

The problem is 4. needs Destruction on Level 50. I have Level 31. It will be very difficult to get that up 19 more Levels.

What could be another solution? Enchant lots of items with REFLECT or RESIST MAGIC?

I would be very thankful for help.

Post subject: Re: Problems with Whil-o-Whisps and Ghost Monsters
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:55 am 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Oblivion
Platform: PC
I stopped using the common elemental enchanted weapons a while ago after I found the trick to melee combat. The trick with WoW/ghosts like any other enemy is to fight like a boxer and stay outside the touch spell/bite-strike range then step in with jab strikes and sometimes combos and step back when the enemy winds up for its attack. It won't work easily with a dagger, and is not as easy with a short sword as a with a long sword. You can save on enchantment/recharge cost by casting the weakness and drain health spells by hand and then striking with an element enchanted weapon. I also suggest casting a detect life or wear a helmet etc with it for the fights (i.e Finngleam).

Weakness to magic is a game breaking spell. Drain health 100 and weakness to magic 100/ TWO SECONDS will kill at WoW in 2 or 3 strikes due to stack multiplying (one second can be a problem with some enemies). WoW have around 225 hp iirc. I tend to go with fire instead of the other elements because of the combination of enemy resistances and enemy hit points which makes fire as good or better in almost all cases (except fire atronachs which are pretty low point anyway).

If you have to use a dagger I would enchant it with Command Creature 25/1s and make a weakness to poison 100 (+ Weakness to magic spell). Hit the WoW [a couple of times with it to stack multiply the weakness to magic] and then poke it with a poisoned dagger. The command will stop the Wow or ghost from attacking you and the weakness to poison will either damage greatly or kill depending on how much you stacked it and poison strength.

You can get the three WoW at swamp cave [Fighters guild] to fight and damage each other with a command creature spell or bow from afar.

At level 10 Peryites shrine quest gives you a powerful reflect spell shield, you can find a miss-leveled grand level (18% or 20% iirc) reflect spell amulet in monster dungeons starting at level 9, at level 10 the reflect spell ring from Seridur's (Temple district) vampire quest is pretty powerful along with the 12% reflect spell Namira's shrine ring from level 5.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:36 pm 
Layman
Layman

Thanks. That is alot of knowledge.
I didnt knew what to do. So I tried the first 3 points from above on a dagger. I use an iron dagger to save weight, as the magic is the damage dealer, not the weapon itself. As it is only used in specific situations.

I can sneak up on WoW. With the bonus from the sneak attack, it needs 2 hits. The disadvantage is, WoWs dont have eyes. One has to figure out first, where their attention is. I have no cameleon suit.

Maybe I can combine that with a cameleon spell later.

For now I can enjoy the game like before.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:03 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, Mac, iPad
Other Profiles: SeaGtGruff (Steam), TinklyGosling47 (Xbox)
UESPoints: 20
I hate WoWs, ghosts, and wraiths when I don't have a suitable weapon yet.

I was able to kill them by conjuring a dagger, but conjured weapons last such a short time.

Then I managed to find a Daedric longsword-- woohoo! I think I got it during the quest in Bruma to clear the murdered NPC's name after his former comrade posed as a vampire hunter and killed him.