UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: What Am I Doing Wrong? Enemies Insanely Hard on Normal
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:40 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, Skyrim
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: LegendKiller-X88
UESPoints: 0
So for the first time ever i created a minmax character and am right now max level at 52 with no more room for advancement. All of my attributes are 100 except Luck which is 93 and I plan on elevating it to 100 through enchants. Anyway, I tried playing on just the default difficulty and ran into a Goblin Warlord, I had a fully enchanted Daedric Sword with 20 absorb health and soultrap, of course it only has 20 charges but I'm new to enchanting and don't know how to improve charges past that. Anyway back to the topic at hand, I literally broke my sword on the Goblin Warlord and he was not even at half health. I sat there hacking at him for the better part of ten minutes. That is a single enemy and I cannot get past it on the default difficulty even though I am a maxxed out character. Im playing comfortably now by lowering the difficulty 25 points and that greatly shortens the fights and keeps thing pretty even keel, but I feel cheap for having to do this. What have I done wrong, is this normal?

Post subject: Re: What Am I Doing Wrong? Enemies Insanely Hard on Normal
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:05 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Oblivion
Yes, they are supposed to be very hard at top levels on medium difficulty. Leveling is meant to add difficulty to the game. Goblin health increases at 15X level so at level 50 they have 1500 health, but they do the same damage they did at level 20.

However, with all of your attributes maxed (Strength and the fatigue set) Blade skill at 100 and a plain unenchanted deadric longsword repaired to 125% you should be able to kill the goblin in a fight of less than a minute and suffer loss of about three quarters of your own health in the fight (similar to fighting a stunted scamp with an iron sword at level 1). You can make it less dangerous for yourself by hitting the goblin with a paralyze spell first. Most weapon enchantments on swords are more trouble than they are worth because each fight uses up all of the charges and you have to soul trap and recharge at each fight... Enchantments with weakness to magic stacking only take about nine hits so you can get two kills out of one recharge.

If your sword actually broke it sounds like you were using an early level Dremora sword, not a Deadric sword. Are you using any mods that would change the normal way things work?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:59 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, Skyrim
Other Profiles: LegendKiller-X88
Nope its not dramora, its an actual daedric longsword. Now I don't know the quality it was before the fight so it could have already had some wear and tear, but all I know is it broke during the fight with the warlord. After lowering the difficulty 25 points I still fight enemies that take a long time to kill, and I have been recharging my weapon after every fight considering it only has 19 charges, but that seems to make it more in tune with Morrowind and Skyrim, where at max level with max blade skill and a max enchantment, you can dispatch enemies more efficiently. I play on legendary difficulty in skyrim, but If i were to do that in oblivion i could never get passed a single enemy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:24 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Morrowind Oblivion Skyrim
Chicken Slayer gave you some good info. I know someone who won't go over level 25. That said, what's the point of playing if you can't "conquer" the game.
Please tell us more about your Level 52 character and we can come up with a strategy to destroy that Goblin Warlord. You may just need to soften him up with a couple of spells first.