UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 8:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: non-quest places
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:48 am 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Oblivion
Platform: PS3
UESPoints: 0
I have found a few places that do not appear to be part of any quest (at least as far as this wiki says), most have inhabitants that greet my character with swords and fireballs. Like Bawn, Cadlew Chapel, Crumbling Mine, Fort Wooden Hand, Gottlesfont Priory, Rielle, and Shinbone Cave.

Is there a page listing these "non-quest places"? I poked around the wiki and didn't find anything. I suspect players may amble thru many of these places on their way to a quest specified place, but never explore them because they are thinking that the place will be part of some later quest. That's what I thought until I did some checking.

I'm on a PS3 and do not have the console. Would it be possible with a console to easily:
    generate a list of all places/locations into a text file;
    generate a list of all places/locations involved in a quest into a text file;
    "subtract" the second list from the first list?
If someone could create the two lists and get them to me (attach to a reply post? forum email?), I have the tools to "subtract" one from the other.

I guess one could go thru all the place pages (some 850?) in this wiki, looking for ones that don't specify a quest. Hmm, instead of manually examining each place page, can the source pages or database be searched and lists created similar to what I was asking for using the console?

Once there is a list of non-quest places, someone would need to create a page and link it into the proper places. It appears that I can't do that. Any volunteers? Or create a wiki category "Oblivion-Places-Non-Quest" to add to the appropriate place pages? Would this auto-magically generate a page?

Is there a better term than "non-quest"?

Maybe something similar for the other games?

Post subject: Re: non-quest places
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:35 am 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games: All
Platform: PC, Switch
UESPoints: 420
We already have a system in place on the wiki for this. If you go to our list of places, any dungeon not marked as "(quest-related)" has no associated quest:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Places

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:59 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, Mac, iPad
Other Profiles: SeaGtGruff (Steam), TinklyGosling47 (Xbox)
UESPoints: 20
legoless wrote:
We already have a system in place on the wiki for this. If you go to our list of places, any dungeon not marked as "(quest-related)" has no associated quest:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Places

And I thank you for that! I try to avoid exploring any locations that are quest-related until I get the quest, after having mucked up a quest or two back in the day by exploring everything as I was finding it and then having a couple of quests bug out. It's nice to know which places are safe to explore without having to wait for a quest that sends me there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:56 am 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games: All
Platform: PC, Switch
UESPoints: 420
SeaGtGruff wrote:
And I thank you for that! I try to avoid exploring any locations that are quest-related until I get the quest, after having mucked up a quest or two back in the day by exploring everything as I was finding it and then having a couple of quests bug out. It's nice to know which places are safe to explore without having to wait for a quest that sends me there.

Yes, not a bad idea with Oblivion. Some places are worth a visit prior to the related quest though, such as Xeddefen: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Shivering:Xeddefen