UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dynamic Processeses, Question about an idea
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:58 pm 
Layman
Layman

UESPoints: 0
First, I want to give you all my greetings and gratitude for keeping Morrowind alive all these years. I really appreciate all this effort :)
Second, I came here to hear about possibilities for a mod, that has been on my mind for some time now.
Also not making a secret that I don't know how to create scripted mods, so I need help about possibilities of this idea.

Ok, what's the idea?
The basic question for me was - what could still keep Morrowind fun after all these years?
Sure, we have lots of mods, but I generally don't use them, because I have never found myself attracted to linear quest mods, new items or little tweaking.
My fascination has always been in interactive systems and how we could manifest those interactions in game environments. Technically, creating chaotic systems in game and allowing player to recognize patterns of those systems and then influencing them.

So, this brought up my idea - I would be extremely fascinating, if we could bring dynamic social conflict processes in the Vvardenfell.
So here is the idea:
Morrowind is filled with different factions, often these factions are warring each other. But this war is never dynamically part of the game. It is just a background lore. So what if we could make these conflicts somewhat more alive?

To do that, we should give each faction a rank that positions them on the level of success. And since the success of each faction is dependent on the wins/failures of their enemies, we could create an interactive system. For example, each faction has its own success rate from 1. to 5. Success rate is dependent on the success of their enemies and success of their allies. When Telvanni success rate is 5 then mages guild should be lower than that (since only one can be on top of the pyramid :D ). When fighters guild (ally for mages guild) rate is 1. , it also influences mages to have lower rate etc.

But how do we make all this social dynamics to work?
Well, we have thousands of NPCs in Morrowind, who do absolutely nothing. The idea is, we would as much randomly as possible, take some of the NPCs from Morrowind and make them members of some factions, great house etc. Then after certain gaming time, they start gaining ranks and becoming parts of randomly generated events.

All those now dynamic NPCs start influencing power of factions.
They may e.g.
- Kill each other
- Find unique artifacts in game and bring them under the possession to the factions
- Spy for different factions
- Randomly go to adventures and be successful or fail

All those events are manifested in game as dynamic NPC disapearing and/or reappearing in different locations of the world and having changes in skillset and gear.
Other changes (like dynamic npc got killed) would manifest only in rumors.
Also when faction becomes more successful, then player might receive more rewards from his/her own faction.
That would mean it is generally useful for player to support certain dynamic NPCs because they might have influence in sociopolitical situation.

So how it would make game more fun?
* Let's say we have about 40 npcs that are dynamically evolving in-game world like a player does. They may also go to adventures and appear in different scripted locations in game world, it would make adventuring more interesting.
* Rumors become useful, even if you are veteran player.
* Certain dungeons in game might have been already raided by those dynamic NPCs. That would mean, you could be owner of certain artifact only if you found out who took it.
* It makes supporting your faction/dynamic NPCs useful.
* It makes assassinating rival dynamic NPCs useful
* It would be lore friendly, since it wouldn't technically add anything to the game environment, it would just create dynamic processes between NPCs and factions.

Here are my important questions:
Would creation of this mod be possible? How realistic would it be?
What would be your subjective opinion about how much work it would take?