UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 11:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: How do I remove Racer Recursion?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:06 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC, Xbox, Xbox 360
UESPoints: 0
I recently downloaded MW and modded it using the 30 Minute Modding guide. I started my playthrough, ran out into the wilderness around Seyda Neen, killed a Cliff Racer, and noticed that two "lolmoreracers" appeared out of nowhere to replace the one that I had just killed. Did some spelunking online and found conflicting information: some say that this is part of the vanilla game and others pointed to the Racer Recursion mod.

Can anyone give me some guidance here? I do not have the RacerRecursion.esp file in my Data Files folder, so I don't know why it is a mod that is active in my game. Is there a way that I can get into the code and remove the spawning of "lolmoreracers" manually? I want Cliff Racers to act as they do in the vanilla game, I just don't want them to replicate when I kill them.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

------------------

VERSION: GOTY Edition from Steam

PATCHES, FIXES, MODS:
Morrowind Code Patch
Morrowind Graphics Extender XE
- STEP Water Shader
- Distant Lands
- Vurt's Groundcover
Morrowind Optimization Patch
Correct Meshes
Detailed Correct UV Rocks
Correct UV Mudcrabs
Patch for Purists
Morrowind Watercolored
HD Concept-art splash screen and main menu
Better Dialogue Font
Chocolate UI
Ultimate Icon Replacer
More Diverse Guards
Delayed Dark Brotherhood
Hold It
Illy's Solsteim Rumor Fix

Last edited by Bredwards621 on Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Removing Racer Recursion
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:08 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: GOG.com: All except these >>> Steam: Skyrim LE & Special; ESO all chapters; Legends
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: Ciberzombie or CZR
UESPoints: 8
its probably part of one of overhaul mods you have(high chance) or your game is pre-modded with it(small chance). you could just search for 'normal" (nonmoded) morrowind (or normal goty) somewhere online

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:32 pm 
Layman
Layman

Hey Ciber. Thanks for the reply. The copy that I have is the GOTY version from Steam. I do, however, want to play with a few mods. I think that the 30 Minute Mod guide discouraged use of the Overhaul due to bugs, so I didn't use it. Here are the patches, fixes, mods, etc that I currently have installed:

Morrwind Code Patch
Morrowind Graphics Extender XE
- STEP Water Shader
- Distant Lands
Morrowind Optimization Patch
Correct Meshes
Detailed Correct UV Rocks
Correct UV Mudcrabs
Patch for Purists
Morrowind Watercolored
HD Concept-art splash screen and main menu
Better Dialogue Font
Chocolate UI
Ultimate Icon Replacer
More Diverse Guards
Delayed Dark Brotherhood
Hold It
Illy's Solsteim Rumor Fix
Vurt's Groundcover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:37 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: GOG.com: All except these >>> Steam: Skyrim LE & Special; ESO all chapters; Legends
Other Profiles: Ciberzombie or CZR
UESPoints: 8
well i don't recognize most of them but if you get it sorted then i recommend Ravenloft, a very exquisite home mod, by itself it doesn't change any exterior cell just adds teleport to Ravenloft amulet, when you activate it after picking it up you get to quite large mansion with almost everything you want or need from house and more, also some reviews say it have about 100 floor dungeon in it

Post subject: Re: How do I remove Racer Recursion?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:53 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion
UESPoints: 16
It's definitely not part of the vanilla game, so the culprit must be one of the mods you're using. Which one, I can't say since I don't recognize many of them (although you can definitely rule out the Morrowind Code Patch and Better Dialogue Font). The only thing I can do is suggest a way to find the culprit.

If you're familiar with the Construction Set, you could use it to examine each mod. If not, try the following:

Bring up the Morrowind start menu, go to Data Files, and uncheck absolutely everything except for the Morrowind, Tribunal, and Bloodmoon .esm's. Start a new game, create a new character, and go out to find a cliff racer. Once you've found one, save the game. This should give you a vanilla character ready to kill a cliff racer.

Now kill the cliff racer and see what happens. (You shouldn't get "lolmoreracers"; if you do, something's very, very wrong.) Exit the game, without saving again.

Now start adding the mods you want, one at a time. Check one mod under Data Files, start the game, load your save, kill the cliff racer, and see what happens. Then exit (without saving), add another mod, and try it again. At some point you'll hit the mod which causes the unwanted racers to spawn, and you'll know which one it is (whichever mod you checked last). Then you can decide whether you simply want to ditch that mod or find a substitute for it.

Not necessarily an ideal solution, but it's all I can come up with right now.

And I ain't in it for the power
And I ain't in it for my health
I ain't in it for the glory of anything at all
And I sure ain't in it for the wealth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:13 pm 
Layman
Layman

Wolfborn: That's a good idea. I already have 10 hours on my current playthrough, but getting rid of Racer Recursion would totally be worth a restart.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:43 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I didn't necessarily mean that you had to start all over again with your character. The reason for starting a new game is simply to create a test character to hunt down the offending mod. This allows you to start with a clean vanilla character and add the mods one at a time. Once the culprit is found and dealt with, you could use Wrye Mash to fix your existing save game and continue on with your already-in-progress playthrough.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:51 pm 
Layman
Layman

Ok, I tracked down the mod that is causing this issue. It is Morrowind Watercolored V2. The file is called "BC_Watercolored.ESP". I figured this out by deselecting all of my mods via the game launcher and then running the game with no mods installed. When I did that, Racer Recursion was gone. I then started adding the mods back via the game launcher one by one and when I reinstalled Morrowind Watercolored V2, Racer Recursion reappeared. I downloaded Morrowind Watercolored V2 via Nexus Mods, but I don't see any indication in the Posts or Bugs section for that mod that anyone else has had/noticed that Racer Recursion is hidden within the Watercolored mod. I added a post asking the mod creator why he included Racer Recursion in his Watercolored mod and reported the bug.

Many thanks to ciber and Wolfborn for helping me work through this!

Wolfborn: I am going to continue my current playthrough with Watercolored uninstalled :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:10 pm 
Layman
Layman

My next question is how do I remove Watercolored and continue my current playthrough? When I deselect 'BC_Watercolored.ESP' in the game launcher I get the following messages when I try to load my saved game.

-----------------

"The currently selected master file and plugins do not match the ones used by the save game. Errors may occur during load or game play. Do you wish to continue?"

(I clicked Yes and then got the following message)

"Could not locate script '_racer_recursion' for reference. Continue running executable?"

(I clicked Yes and got the same error message again. This error message appeared a total of 21 times. Once I clicked Yes the 21st time, the save file loaded)

-----------------

Once I save the game again and then reload the new saved game, will this issue be resolved? Should I remove the 'BC_Watercolored.ESP' file from my Morrowind/Data Files folder?

Just want to make sure that I don't corrupt my save file by changing the mods mid-game.

Sorry for the somewhat noobish question, but I am very new to modding Morrowind. Thank you all for your help with this, I really appreciate it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:37 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Once you have saved the game after removing the Watercolored .esp, you won't get the error messages again on subsequent reloads. However, there may be lingering hidden issues that might not be evident until later.

In general, altering the mods used by an existing save game through adding, deleting, or changing them can be a risky business. There's a good overview of how and why problems can occur on the wiki here, if you're interested.

The safest thing to do is to download Wrye Mash (as I mentioned in my previous post; there are also stand-alone versions here and here; an overview can be found on the wiki here) and use it to clean up your save game. Wrye Mash is pretty much the "industry standard" for Morrowind mod management and repairing save games; having said that, I've never actually used it myself, so beyond pointing you at it I can't really be of any further help when it comes to using it. (I really should play around with it sometime. :P)

PS. Just FYI, please use the "edit" button to add stuff to your previous post rather than double-posting if your post is the last one in the thread. The forum moderators are happier with you that way. :wink: