Discussions and questions about the CS and mods for Morrowind
Post a reply

Main menu not shown with blank esm

Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:20 pm

Hallo,

using (open+)MW CS, I managed to create a blank esm that seems to work for me (had probs with other blank esp downloads, may it be because of my german game install and/or gog version?).

It's already near to what I wanted it to be: Nearly all cells and scripts and leveleld stuff and NPCs gone, and it works in OpenMW, too.

However, there's an unexpected behaviour with original MW:

When MW starts up, instead of showing the main menu, it directly shows the game with the single necessary "player" NPC (not placed in esm) placed at ext cell 0,0 at 0,0. I can then manually start my chargen script (using the ESC game menu) or load a savegame, so I can say it works for me. But I didn't expect that behaviour, and now I'm not so absolutely sure it's safe to build mods based on it. Has anyone heard about similar probs and maybe how to solve that?

Re: Main menu not shown with blank esm

Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:05 am

My guess is that I've deleted something the orig MW does (but OpenMW doesn't) require to display the main menu.

It really seems a little dangerous to build mods upon: There are random CTD with the non-chargen'd player (that I don't wanna see).

Hidden:
In case someone wants to test on his own to see what I'm talking about, here's the esm file (6MB, for use without morrowind.esm, but with original data files (tested with gog versions en+de, only)):

https:// jan.abnuto. de /code/morrowind/test__11.esm

I hope this is ok to post this way. I'm aware the file still contains a lot of beth copyrighted material.

Re: Main menu not shown with blank esm

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:37 pm

Tried to reproduce the blank again, got an even smaller, cleaner version (1.7MB), that however also has the missing main menu problem. Maybe it'll just reappear with content to load added?

Hidden:
https:// jan.abnuto. de/code/morrowind/morrowind_german_blank.esm
Post a reply