Exporting Arena Save-Games
Arena comes with the ability to store ten different saved games. These ten saves are represented by files *.00, *.01, ..., *.09 in the Arena directory. All files with a .00 extension (a.k.a. *.00) are associated with the top slot in the list of saved games when you load a game in Arena; all files with a .01 extension are associated with the second slot, and so forth.
The names of the saved games' slots are contained in the file NAMES.DAT. The names are 48 characters long and are padded on the right by the X'00' character and thus cannot be edited with a normal text editor. However, there is absolutely no link between the names in NAMES.DAT and your save files. The link is between the slot itself (irrespective of the name) and the saved game files' extension. So, for the purpose of exporting or importing a saved game, NAMES.DAT isn't important.
To export a saved game from Arena, first create a place to put the files. If you are at a DOS command prompt, the command md ArenaSavedGame will create a folder in which to put the saved game; then, command copy *.00 C:\ArenaSavedGame will put a copy of the saved game associated with the top slot into the ArenaSavedGame folder. Those files can be bundled any way you like (e.g., in a zip file) as a saved game you can pass along, import, etc.
 Importing Arena Save-Games
The simplest method by which to import a save-game into Arena is to overwrite a previously created save. This may be accomplished as follows:
- Backup the desired save by copying the appropriate files via Dos. For example, enter copy c:\temp\*.01
- Rename the save to be transferred to the same title as the backed-up file. For example, rename *.04 files to *.01
- Copy the save-game into the Arena directory and load it within the game.
Save-game files may also be imported into an empty slot which, while less likely to incur an error, is also more difficult. This is due to the fact that the save's name must be entered in the NAMES.DAT file, which can only be modified using a binary editor. Those familiar with binary editors can modify NAMES.DAT with little effort by merely filling the appropriate EMPTY slot with some meaningful text. For those without a binary editor, or unfamiliar with such, the following program will allow the NAMES.DAT file to be easily modified:. The zip-file contains an executable, help file, and the source code in C.
 Save Games
The following are user-submitted save-games from Arena. If you would like to supply a save game of your own, contact the staff to arrange such.
- - Ediih, 13th level Knight. All stats at 100, with the exception of Intelligence. A few artifacts and staff pieces.
- - Level 22 Spellsword with some nice equipment.
- LilithChan.zip - A modded lvl 229 Dark Elf Sorceress with maxed out stats, all spells, and over 30,000 health for those who keep dying in the game.