|This quest page is currently being rewritten as part of the Morrowind Overhaul Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- Find and speak to Captain Carius in his chambers within the General Quarters area of Fort Frostmoth.
- Find some booze and speak to a guard to learn about the fort becoming dry.
- Return and speak to the Captain about the dry fort matter.
- Find and speak to Antonius Nuncius on the ground floor of the Imperial Cult Shrine.
- Speak to another guard to learn the location of Nuncius' office.
- Visit Nuncius' office in the second floor of the armory. Open his locked desk and take the alcohol inside.
- Confront Nuncius with the evidence.
- Visit the Captain with the information about Nuncius to complete the quest.
Captain Falx CariusEdit
The Captain can be found in his chambers in Fort Frostmoth, accessed via the General Quarters area at the top of the stairs. His office doesn't show up on the in-game map, as it is covered by the General Quarters, but it is in the staircase to the left when you enter the General Quarters. Speak with him about Fort Frostmoth, being edgy, disturbing trends, and morale has been low. The Captain basically tells you about the low morale of the troops at the fort lately and suspects that there is one person in particular that is causing this discontent.
The obvious move would be to go around and have a chat with the various guards of the fort. Strangely enough, all guards seem to have come under a great thirst, complaining about how they could use a good drink. If you don't have any drinks on you, there appears to be very little or nothing to purchase in the fort itself. A quick Mark spell and an Almsivi Intervention will bring you to Gnisis, and from there it's a quick trip to Ald'ruhn or another town to buy some drinks. One bottle of sujamma, flin, mazte, greef, shein or Cyrodiilic brandy is enough.
Of course, there is a much easier way. If you nose around the third floor of the Armory, you'll notice that Antonius Nuncius has a large number of bottles of assorted spirits in his room and desk. There is also booze scattered all over the fort if you look for it (like the Captain's quarters). Once you have some drinks, speak to one of the guards, who will gladly accept some alcohol from you. The guard will gladly inform you that the fort has become a dry fort by order of the Captain. Further questions on the matter will not yield you any more information.
Return to Captain Carius and speak to him about the dry fort orders. He'll mention that it wasn't really his decision, as the alcohol shipments just "stopped" several months ago. He suspects the priest Antonius Nuncius as being the one truly interested in making the fort dry. Find Antonius Nuncius in the ground floor of the Imperial Cult Shrine. He will deny having anything to do with the fort becoming dry, and actually pin the blame on the Captain. Mention that the Captain never banned alcohol and the priest will confirm that the shipments stopped arriving on their own. He seems to get a little annoyed, claiming that you have no evidence that he was involved and asks to be left alone.
It seems that the priest is trying to hide his involvement in the lack of alcohol shipments, so some further investigation is required. Speak to any guard once again to learn that Nuncius' office is actually in the Armory. You can speak to Zeno Faustus in the Armory to find that the priest's office is upstairs. Perhaps there will be some evidence up there. His office is on the right-hand side of the second floor and you'll find his locked (level 50) desk inside, but you'll only find a bunch of booze within (you need to open the desk if you want to continue, though). The key to the desk is hidden on a high ledge inside the office. If you are looking at the chair in the corner, it is to the right a little bit on the ledge above. You'll also find his closet, which appears to be locked with a unique and unpickable lock, so you'll have to find the key in order to open it. Return to Nuncius and speak to him about the dry fort and shipments stopped arriving again and he'll confront you about having peeked in his desk. He admits that he had been hiding the alcohol for the 'benefit' of the soldiers. You can choose to keep his secret safe or tell him that you will have to speak to the Captain about the matter.
Back to the CaptainEdit
Return to the Captain with the news. You don't have to talk to the Captain about the priest's involvement, but if you do the Captain will congratulate you and give you three Cure Disease potions and a Silver Sparkblade as a reward. If you kept Antonius Nuncius' secret, he'll give you the key to the unpickable closet which holds 60 alcoholic drinks (10 of each basic type) as well as 10 skoomas. If you tell the Captain it was just a misunderstanding, he congratulates you and hands over three Cure Disease potions.
- You may have to open Antonius' desk twice to get the required journal entry.
- The disposition of whichever guard you give the booze to jumps by 40 points, but if you offer drink without any in your inventory, the disposition drops ten points.
- Nuncius' disposition drops 30 if you rat him out, but increases by 30 if you keep his secret.
- If you say that you're going to tell Carius about Antonius' actions, he will not be carrying the key to his closet on his corpse, meaning that it will be impossible to open his closet. If you say that you'll keep his secret, he'll give you a key, and he'll also be carrying a second copy of the key if you kill him, but only if you still have the quest open (i.e., you didn't talk to Carius yet).
These Codes can be used along with the
Journal Console Command and Quest ID given within the chart to update the quest to a certain point.
|Prev: An Island to the North||Up: Main Quest Page||Next: The Frostmoth Smugglers|