Daggerfall:Hunt for a Spriggan
- Talk to the quest giver of a Fighters Guild.
- Head to the dungeon where the spriggan can be found.
- Find the spriggan within the dungeon and kill it.
- (Optional) Find the spriggan and hit it once.
- Listen to the spriggan, and accept its proposal or kill it anyway.
- Deliver the spriggan's offer to the careless woodsman.
- Return to the quest giver within the time limit for your reward.
The quest giver says:
- "Some woodsmen have hired the guild to kill a spriggan. Seems the monster is attacking them when they are out in the woods logging. Want to take a hack at it (player's name)?"
The quest giver goes on:
- "Two attempted ambushes have failed. The spriggan is just too smart. You'll have to go to its lair, in (dungeon). Get back to me within (time limit) days and I'll have (random gold) gold waiting for you."
The quest giver answers:
- "Fair enough. Run along. I've got to find someone to take this job."
Travel to the dungeon the quest giver mentioned and find the spriggan within. It will likely be the only one of its kind, since spriggans will only appear at lower levels. Once you have found the creature, hit it with a weak weapon or your fists once. Be careful not to use a strong weapon as it is easy to kill the spriggan with one hit, especially at higher levels. Once you have damaged the spriggan, it will say:
- "You attack me without cause, (player's race). Yes I did wreak vengeance upon the slayers of wood. Know that they did slay seedlings of mine. Would you stand rooted while someone slew your seedlings? I have no quarrel with you. Convince the woodsmen to prune with care, and I shall leave them in peace. Will you take this mission up?"
You will now have to choose whether or not to agree to the spriggan's proposal.
Refuse the Offer
If you do not wish to accept the spriggan's offer, it says:
- "I should have known better than to trust a creature of flesh. Now I shall give you no quarter."
The spriggan will continue to fight to the death. After you kill it (whether or not it made an offer), the following message will appear:
- The spriggan is dead. Those woodsmen can log in safety now.
Accept the Offer
If you accept the spriggan's offer, it will continue:
- "The main culprit is (woodsman's name), who hacks down trees without care. Go to (town) and secure his promise. Do not visit me again. I shall know of your success or failure by how the do their work."
Travel to the town where the woodsman lives and ask around to learn his location. Enter his residence and talk to him, and he will say:
- "So the tree creature wants to cut a deal, eh? Well I suppose I can convince the boys to only log the big trees. But if his kind attack us again, we'll burn every sapling we can find! You've got yourself a deal, (player's name)."
Once you either kill the spriggan or get the woodsman to agree to its proposal, return to the quest giver. If you killed the spriggan, he will say:
- "The spriggan is kindling? You are proving yourself to be quite reliable, (player's guild rank).
- Here is your (random gold) gold as promised."
If you accepted the spriggan's offer, he will say:
- "You worked it so the woodsmen and the spriggan ain't fightin'? Very clever (player's name). You'll go far if you keep those wits sharp."
There is also a 50% chance the quest giver also gives you a dungeon map, saying:
- "By the way, since I'm feelin' charitable, here's a map to a hole called (dungeon). Full of monsters needin' killing, treasure to loot, the works. Have fun."
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
A failed quest results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered in the tables.)
If you accept the spriggan's proposal and talk to the woodsman, you will gain additional reputation according to the table below:
|People of the Current Region||+10|
|Current Region's associated factions||+5|
- Random dungeon monsters
- Quest Target: One Spriggan
- The woodsman's residence will be locked, requiring you to pick the lock or use an Open spell. There is a third-party patch which corrects this issue, which can be found here.
- Once you get your reward from the quest giver, you must speak to him using the "Talk" option to properly terminate the quest. If this is not done, the quest will remain active and will count as failure once the time limit has expired.
- The woodcutter may be male or female, as the character is randomly generated by the quest. However, the quest dialogue lacks a variable for this, thus the spriggan will always refer to the NPC as "he."
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "I hear (woodsman's name) is stirring up the woodsmen against the spriggans. Funny. I've never known the spriggans to cause us trouble before."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "Another died. I hear it was (woodsman's name). The rest of them have decided to log elsewhere."
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "I haven't heard about that spriggan lately. Must have left the area."
If you successfully complete the quest, the quest giver may later greet you with:
- "Well done work with that spriggan."
If you failed the quest, the quest giver will greet you with:
- "Spriggans aren't so tough. What happened? You get scared and hid?"
|Hunt for a Spriggan (m0b40y05)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||On (date), The Fighters Guild of (guild's town) hired me to kill a spriggan that is molesting woodsmen. It's hiding in 9dungeon). I was given (time limit) days to get the job done.|
|1||(Date):ü The spriggan has convinced me that it is not the. Apparently a woodsman named (woodsman's name) in (woodsman's town) has been cutting down its trees. If I can get (woodsman's name) to agree to log the forest more carefully, this whole thing can be settled without bloodshed.|