Quick Walkthrough
- Kill the zombie the King of Worms sends you and learn that he wants to see you.
- Visit the King of Worms in Scourg Barrow.
- Get a scarab from him used as a soul trap.
- Travel to Palace Sentinel and destroy the Lich in the dungeons there.
- Return the scarab containing the Lich's soul to the King of Worms.
- Get your reward and some information from him.
 Detailed Walkthrough
The King of Worms sends a zombie to contact you, after you kill the zombie a message appears. The message reads...
- Stiched into the zombie's decaying flesh you see the following message:
- (player's name),
- It would be an honor to have you visit me in my demense at your convenience. I have a small matter that you are ideally suited for. As always, my servants will test your mettle. Feel free to dispense with them. They can always be raised again.
- The King of Worms,
- Master of Scourg Barrow
Go to Scourg Barrow and meet with the King of Worms.
The King of Worms says:
- (player's name), I am so glad you answered my letter. I hope my messenger was gentle. You have been a loyal servant in the past. Not as loyal as my living dead, but far more versatile. My need involves the lowest depths of Castle Sentinel, and the reward is knowledge that only the dead can provide. Are you willing?
Accept the quest, and the King of Worms will say:
- How amusing. I am looking for the answer to a question. It doesn't exist among the living, but may exist among the dead. I want you to bring me back the ghost of Prince Kaloris, the great grandfather of the late King Camaron of Sentinel. Karolis was a sorcerer of no mean skill. He is now a lich deep in the bowels of the castle. I am giving you a special Scarab. If it is close to him when you destroy his physical body, his soul will be trapped in the Scarab. Bring it back to me, and I will tell you a tale few mortals have heard.
The King of Worms decides to contact you, adding his own personal touch to the message - he sends a zombie after you. After you kill it, you will find a note stitched into the zombie's flesh. Very strange, but also very effective. Meet the King of Worms in his lair in Scourg Barrow when it is convenient to you. The King of Worms wants you to trap the soul of Prince Karolis, the great grandfather of the late King Camaron, who wanders deep down the bowels of Palace Sentinel as a lich. He even thoughtfully provides a scarab that will trap the soul for you, so you don't need any soul trapping spell or equipment.
I was transporting arms one day when I was attacked for no apparent reason by a Zombie! Imagine my surprise when I find a note sewn into the poor soul's chest...it was a request from the King of Worms (who was clearly impressed with my previous courier service for Morgiah, Princess of Wayrest).
I visited the King in his home beneath Scourg Barrow in the Dragontail Mountains. He promised me information that only the dead could provide if I would bind Prince Karolis of Sentinel's soul into an ensorceled Scarab he gave me. It seemed that Prince Karolis was now a Lich and was kept deep within the dungeons of Palace Sentinel. Of course I accepted the challenge.
Now having already been to the Court of Sentinel, I was well aware of the well guarded Southern door in the Queen's Throne Room, through which I assumed I would find the dungeons. Sure enough, after I took the elevator in the hall, I found myself in a long, dark tunnel, slopping downward towards where I knew my goal must lie. At the first intersection, my instincts said go left. One wrong turn and I knew I would be lost for days here, so I hoped I was right. There were all manners of guards to defeat so I knew they must be protecting something.
I pressed on East at the next intersection and then West at the T further on. My experience told me that I would find my goal in the deepest part of the dungeon, so I was relieved to find the hallways beginning to slope downward. I headed East through the next intersection, determined to follow this hallway to the end, but I was lucky enough to hear the scream of a ghost at the next T which caused me to head South down a side passage. At the end of this hallway was an elevator which I took to the top.
When the elevator stopped I could clearly see my goal. There was a room with many passageways, but one was flanked by two royal tapestries adorned with flames (used commonly at the tournaments to identify the descendants of Karolis in battle). I proceed to enter the room, but my way was blocked by an invisible field. Frustrated, I turned around to find another way in. On the way back down the elevator, I noticed another passage that I had missed earlier. I jumped off, as the elevator did not stop here. At the end of this passage was a large lever with two skulls on either side indicating danger. Well, I took a chance and flipped it, and when I went back to the room above, my way was no longer blocked by the field. Well, this room was indeed a puzzle and it took me hours to solve, but here is what the final solution was:
- I made a map so that I could remember my bearing. After drawing a square to represent the room, I numbered the passages in counter clockwise order, starting with the one I entered through as #1. #2 and #3 were on the North wall, #4 was West (I skipped the entranceway to the lich because I knew it would be the last one I used), #5 and #6 were on the South wall, and #7 was beside me on the East wall. The only one I could go through initially was the West door, which led to another elevator. At the bottom was a switch which I left alone (I thought it wise to see my options before switching more levers). At the end of this hallway was a howling Wraith who was obviously trapped behind another invisible field. The only other way was the South where I found another elevator. On the way up I jumped off at the second passage I found and was attacked by a spider. This passage led to yet another elevator which I took up. From here I could not get into the main room, so I headed East and found another lever. Flipping it quickly, I ran back to see if my way had been cleared and sure enough it was. I went back into the main room and noticed that I could now proceed through the North Door (#2).
As I expected, there was another elevator which took me down to a new room. I had to kill a ghost there and then I found another switch. "This must be it," I thought and rushed back up to see the entrance to Lich's hold. What...? It was still protected by a field. There must be another switch, so I retraced my steps through the South passage (#5) and took the elevator all the way down again. To my surprise, I was attacked by the wraith that was previously trapped! I killed it and headed East to find a new switch and another elevator. After moving the switch I took this elevator back to the main room and PRESTO! the entrance was now free of any obstructions.
What followed was a violent battle, as the Prince did not wish to give up his soul just yet I think. I am happy to be here to tell this tale and happier yet with the information I received from the King of Worms in exchange for the soul!'
- Descendant of Fara, High Elf Stalker of Summerset Isle
 Finding the Lich
In the palace dungeons you will encounter various humanoid enemies, like archers and spellswords. You may also run into some Orc shamans, Orc warlords and wraiths. But if you follow the walkthrough below you will encounter almost no enemies.
Starting from the throne room, take the first door to the south. The door may be locked, so you should come prepared. Using force to open it is not a good idea, because there are several royal knights in the throne room that will attack you if you attempt to break open the door. Once the door is open, walk south until you come to an elevator, then ride up the elevator.
Once you reach the upper level, follow the hallway.
Follow the apparently endless hallway further until the ambiance changes and dungeon music starts to play.
Follow the stairs down until you come to a door. Don't go through that door, but follow the hallway east, past an intersection, then turn north and head west at a second intersection. Follow the hallway north, until it makes a turn to the east.
Walk down the hallway and past an open doorway, head south and at the first intersection go south.
Follow the hallway until you reach an elevator. Ride it up to the first opening and follow the hallway to a room. Pull the lever in this room and return back to the elevator, ride it up to the top.
From the top of the elevator, go west and enter a room with numerous blue force-fields blocking the various doorways. Your target is behind one of these doors, but first you must disable the force-fields. Go through the southwest door and ride the elevator to the bottom.
There is a lever at the bottom next to the elevator, but don't pull it or a door further along will be blocked. At the east end of the hallway is a wraith trapped behind a blue force-field; dispose of it while it is trapped. Ride the south elevator up.
Leave the elevator-platform at the second opening; don't ride it up to the very top. Go around the corner, kill the spider and take the second elevator up.
From the top of the elevator, go east.
Follow the hallway north and you will reach a lever, pull it and return back to the elevator.
From the elevator, go north through the room with the blue force-fields and leave through the second door to the north. Take the elevator down.
Go south and enter the room, there are a pair of torture instruments in this room and a ghost in the small chamber to the southwest. Pull the lever in this room and take the elevator back up.
Head back south to the elevator and ride it down.
Go back to the second elevator and ride it down.
The force-field which previously trapped the wraith is now gone and you have access to another lever. Pulling it will lower the force-field of the doorway which leads to the Lich. Ride up the elevator next to you or the other elevator at the other side of the hallway. Return back to the force-field room.
Walk through the now unblocked doorway and follow the hallway down. The Lich will be in the second room at the end of the hallway. Destroy its physical body by any means and Prince Karolis' soul will be trapped in the scarab the King of Worms gave to you.
From the force-field room, return to the dungeons exit on the same way you have come from; the guards of Palace Sentinel will not attack you on sight. Bring the scarab back to the King of Worms in Scourg Barrow.
 Additional Information
After bringing the scarab with the prince's soul to the King of Worms he will say:
- "Well done (player's first name). I am sure the prince will be most
- cooperative. Please accept this (magical item) as a token of
- my appreciation. In addition, I have decided that it is time for
- someone outside of Tiber Septim's line to know the truth about the
- UnderKing. As you know, Tiber Septim was the first emperor of Tamriel.
- Toward the end of his wars of conquest, he betrayed his Battlemage,
- Zurin Arctus. When Zurin died, his soul refused to leave his body.
- Something to do with the mysterious Numidium. Since that time Zurin
- Arctus has lived on as the Underking.
- The UnderKing and his agents have been a thorn in my side for
- centuries. Just remember, should the Underking regain his mortal body,
- he would surely throw all of Tamriel into conflict."
 Reputation Gain
If you complete the quest successfully, you will gain reputation according to the table below.
|The King of Worms||+15|
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered)
- Quest Target: One Lich
- The Daggerfall Chronicles refers to this quest as "Soul of a Lich".
- There is no time limit for this quest.
|Prev: Morgiah's Wedding||Next: Who Gets The Totem|