- Speak to Princess Morgiah at Castle Wayrest after receiving her invitation.
- Get a letter for the King of Worms from her.
- Deliver this letter to the King of Worms at Scourg Barrow.
- Get a letter from the King of Worms in return.
- Deliver this letter to Morgiah before the 30 days she gave you have expired.
- Get your reward and some information from her.
Soon after you have reached level 3, you notice a letter in your inventory that wasn't there before. If you leveled up while in a dungeon, it will not appear until you are outside again. The letter contains the following message:
- Dear (player's first name),
- My eyes and ears abroad say that you are
- interested in the fate of a certain letter.
- Any emperor should not be so careless, nor should
- a queen. You really should come visit me in
- Castle Wayrest. I have some most interesting
- tidbits that I am sure you would enjoy hearing.
- -- Morgiah
- Princess of Wayrest
To learn more, you must accept her invitation. When you are ready, travel to Wayrest.
Find Castle Wayrest and head inside. Enter the throne room and climb the steps. Morgiah waits for you here, speak to her and she says:
- "You're trying to track down that letter of the Emperor's, yes? There are very few scandals in the Bay of which I am totally ignorant. I could give you some information, but nothing is without a price, that I know well. I need a champion who fear the fire of Oblivion. Are you interested?"
If you agree to her terms, Morgiah continues:
- "(Oath), that is a relief to me. Do not ask any questions -- get this letter to a certain high level sorcerer at the Necromancers' crypt, Scourg Barrow in the Dragontail Mountains. Avoid the rift. If you see it, you have gone too far.
- They will not be expecting you and will not wait for any introductions. The necromancers feel that death is a reward for the living, not a punishment. Once you have delivered the letter, they would feel no need to guarantee your safety. It is their way. I need the letter delivered and a response from King of Worms in my hand one month from now at the absolute latest. The risks are very high, (player's first name), please do not fail."
(Note: It is not recommended that you refuse the princess' offer, as this will make it impossible to complete the Main Quest.)
As Morgiah said, she needs you to return within a month. This gives you a time limit of 30 days to complete the quest. She gives you a letter to deliver to the King of Worms, the leader of the ill-famed Necromancers, which reads:
- King of Worms,
- I agree to your terms. I will give you
- my first and you will exert your influence
- on the King of Firsthold on Sumerset Isle.
- Only you can let him speak with his dead
- son. For that, he would even marry Nulfaga!
- -- M
Make any preparations you need, and head to Scourg Barrow in the Dragontail Mountains.
Finding the King of Worms
From the outside, Scourg Barrow appears as a small castle. The entrance is located in the north wall of the central building; this leads down into the crypts. Head inside.
Upon entering, open the second tomb on your left side and proceed down.
Follow the hallway until you find a door and open it. You will find yourself in a room with eight doors. Open the door to your immediate left.
Follow this hallway to a T intersection.
Go left and down into the cavern. Follow this cave passageway and turn right at the first opportunity.
Take a left at the first opportunity and open the locked door in whatever fashion appeals to you. Welcome to the throne room of the King of Worms!
This room contains two Ancient Liches, a Vampire Ancient, dancers, and various other NPCs. Do not be alarmed by the powerful enemies; they will not attack you unless provoked. Head up to the dais and give the King of Worms the letter. He will read it and say:
- "Very good. If you are not rewarded with death by the loyal servants of the Barrow, give this note to Princess Morgiah please."
He gives you a short response letter to take back to Morgiah. To leave, return to the spot where you dropped down through the tomb. You will either have to levitate or climb out of the passage. Only the north wall of the passage is climbable, however. If you can't do either, activate the nearby tapestry to gain a temporary levitate effect. Return to Castle Wayrest.
Deliver the response letter to Morgiah. She reads it and says:
- "It's done! I'll be queen of Firsthold! Although I'm sure the engagement will be quite lengthy. Now, I promised you information about the Emperor's letter.
- The letter you seek is in the hands of Gortwog, the Warlord of the Orcs. He bought it from the thieves guild of Daggerfall after one of their number stole it from Queen Aubk-i.
- I confess I don't know why the Emperor sent it to Aubk-i. The girl is innocent to a fault, and everyone knows that Gothryd is not the loyal empire toady that Lysandus was. Of course my own family...well enough of this boring court gossip.
- If you really want to find this letter, you should get in good with Mynisera, the former Queen of Daggerfall, and Queen Mother to Gothryd. I wouldn't directly approach her. Start with someone of lower station."
With that, Morgiah gives you a random item and takes her leave. You are once again free to pursue your own ends, or follow up on the leads Morgiah gave you.
If you successfully deliver both letters, you will gain reputation according to the table below.
|The King of Worms and The Necromancers||+10|
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered)
- At some point in the game after you complete this quest and if your reputation with Morgiah is greater than 10, you will receive an invitation to Morgiah's wedding. However, you cannot actually attend the ceremony.
- The King of Worms' response is simply:
- --King of Worms
- It is not clear what Morgiah means by her "first". According to The Daggerfall Chronicles, it is not her firstborn and was intended to tie in to the plot of the next game. It never comes up in Morrowind, however.
|Prev: Privateer's Hold||Up: Main Quest||Next: Lich's Soul|