Quests are sorted by the factions who give them. There are 227 distinct quests in the original game (excluding a Vampire Quest whose questfiles are misnamed and therefore cannot be given to the player unless both questfiles have corresponding names). The CompUSA Special Edition Patch adds 16 new quests.
It should be noted that quests added by third-party mods are not listed on this page.
 Main Quest
All the parts of the game's Main Quest Walkthrough.
- Privateer's Hold: Work your way through Privateer's Hold and many of its monsters and other unfriendly residents to reach the exit.
- Lady Brisienna: Receive a letter from Lady Brisienna via Imperial Agent, and contact her in a tavern of her choice.
- Morgiah's Wedding: The Princess of Wayrest grasps for power.
- Lich's Soul: The King of Worms wants you to kill some undead.
- Missing Prince: Lhotun wants to find his missing brother.
- Wayrest Painting: Queen Akorithi requests a certain painting.
- Stronghold of the Blades: A trap has been laid for the Blades.
- Freeing Medora: Free Lysandus's Lover from Her Tower.
- Dust of Restful Death: Find some dust to exorcise Lysandus' spirit.
- Lysandus' Revelation: Time to find out who did it.
- Lysandus' Revenge: Track down the traitor to the Empire.
- The Werebeast: Kill a werebeast for Cyndassa.
- The Emperor's Courier: Find the Emperor's Courier and learn what happened to the letter.
- Orcish Treaty: Get the Emperor's Letter for Mynisera.
- Who Gets the Totem: Let the bidding begin.
- Journey to Aetherius: Find the Heart for one lucky leader.
 Optional Quests
- Tutorial: An introduction to Privateer's Hold and the game of Daggerfall.
- Concern for Nulfaga: Queen Aubk-i is worried about Nulfaga.
- Mynisera's Letters: Letters are being smuggled out of Daggerfall.
- Blackmailing Prince Helseth: Prince Helseth wants you to deliver a special letter.
- Elysana's Robe: Elysana requests your skills to assassinate a suitor.
- Barenziah's Book: Queen Barenziah wants her biography.
- Mantella Revealed: The Intermission.
- Elysana's Betrayal: A vicious trap awaits you.
 Quests running in the Background
Quests running in the background used to control various events regarding the Main Quest
- Akorithi's Minions: Controls Akorithi's men during the totem quest.
- Eadwyre's Minions: Controls Eadwyre's men during the totem quest.
- Gortwog's Minions: Controls Gortwog's orcs during the totem quest.
- King of Worms' Minions: Controls The King of Worms' minions during the totem quest.
- Underking's Minions: Controls The Underking's minions during the totem quest.
- Fame given by the King of Worms: Gives you the Fame the King of Worms promised you when he gets the totem.
- Reputation with Queen Aubk-i: Gains you reputation with Queen Aubk-i.
- Curse of Daggerfall: Controls Lysandus' spectral army until his ghost is put to rest.
- Main Quest Backbone: Backbone of Daggerfall's Main Quest.
 Dark Brotherhood
All quests for the Dark Brotherhood.
- The Acceptance Test: The acceptance test for the Dark Brotherhood.
- A Renegade Member: Execute a former member of the Dark Brotherhood.
- No Escape: Execute a former member who tried to escape from the Brotherhood's retribution.
- Disagreeable Competition: Execute a freelancing assassin and his employer.
- A Renegade Mage: Execute a renegade mage on behalf of the Mages Guild.
- A Fateful Song: Execute a bard who has composed a scandalous song about a local noble.
- Unauthorized Absence: Discover the whereabouts of a missing guild brother.
- A Knight without Honor: Execute a knight who refused to protect a damsel.
- Contract on a Mage: Execute a member of the Mages Guild.
- An Anonymous Job: Perform an execution at a palace in the region.
- Concerns of a Noble: Mediate the succession within a noble family in the most "classic" way.
- Taking on the Thieves Guild: Kill a high-ranking member of the Thieves Guild.
- The Veteran: Execute a veteran of the War of Betony.
 Fighters Guild
All quests for the Fighters Guild.
- Hunt for a Giant Scorpion: Kill a giant scorpion in a building in town.
- Hunt for a Giant Spider: Kill a giant spider in a local building.
- Hunt for Barbarians: Take care of some barbarians who are running rampant in a building in town.
- A Rat Infestation: Clean a local building of giant rats.
- Hunt for a Lycanthrope: Kill a lycanthrope in a local dungeon.
- Wild Animal: A beast has infiltrated someone's home.
- Unwanted Houseguest: A wild animal has moved into a residence in a local town.
- Hunt for Giant Rodents: A house is infested by rodents.
- Giant Killing: Kill a not-so-gentle giant.
- Runaway Pet: Bring back a noble's runaway tiger.
- Lord K'avar Quest Part I: You are tasked to protect a spy for Sentinel.
- Hunt for Harpies: Kill a flock of harpies in a local dungeon.
- Pack of Giants: Kill some giants in a local dungeon.
- Standard Protection: Kill assassins and avenge a dead man.
- Hunt for a Daedroth: Kill a Daedroth to put the locals at ease.
- Fighters Lich: Kill a lich for low pay.
- Domestic Squabble: A woman is now married to one of the dead!
- Hunt for a Spriggan: Take care of a spriggan who has attacked some woodcutters.
- Hunt for a Gargoyle: Kill a gargoyle in a local dungeon.
- Hunt for an Atronach: Kill an atronach in a local dungeon.
 Knight Orders
All quests for the Knight Orders.
- The Traitor: Execute a traitor to the order to gain their favor.
- The Hunter: Rid the local peasants of a monster.
- Trouble with Orcs: Kill the leader of a local orc gang.
- The Infested House: Clean out a local residence for a Knight Order.
- The Princess: Rescue an abducted princess.
- Retribution: Restore honor to the order by killing a traitor.
- The Crazed Mercenary: Kill a crazed orc mercenary, who has really bad plans for the region.
- More Trouble with Orcs: Kill the leader of a band of orcs that is making the regional population nervous.
- Still More Trouble with Orcs: Kill the warlord of an orc band that is threatening local commerce.
- Killing a Giant: Kill a giant who has been terrorizing the region.
- The Exorcism: Exorcize a haunted property for a local noble.
- Eternal Rest: Take care of a local noble's undead ancestor.
- Invasion from Oblivion: Stop a supposed invasion from Oblivion.
- The Dragonslayer: Slay a dragonling living in a local dungeon.
- The Artifact: Embark on a quest for a legendary artifact.
- The Army of Undead: Destroy an Ancient Lich who is raising an army of undead.
- The Lost Artifact: Destroy an Ancient Lich and embark on an optional quest to reveal a lost artifact.
 Mages Guild
All quests for the Mages Guild.
- Missing Book: Retrieve a missing book for the Mages Guld.
- Grab an Ingredient: Grab an ingredient from a local dungeon.
- The Loose Pet Imp: A student's pet imp has been released.
- An Ancient Scroll: A local dungeon has a scroll needed by the Mages Guild.
- Retrieve an Ingredient: Grab an ingredient from a local dungeon.
- Mummy Wrappings: A nearby mummy has a bit too much cloth.
- Cast the Sleep Spell: Help a noble get some sleep.
- Research Notes: Grab some research for the Mages Guild.
- Open a Chest: A merchant needs a magical chest opened.
- Azimuthal Vectors: Help a mage with his research.
- Atronach Hunting: An atronach has escaped from the Mages Guild.
- Guard the Guild: Thieves are trying to steal a magic item from the Mages Guild.
- Former Student Part I: Hunt down a former student practicing unsanctioned magic, or accompany him in his endeavors.
- Protect an Honored Mage: Assassins are coming for an honored mage.
- A Dangerous Wizard: A powerful wizard threatens all of Tamriel.
- Oracle: A noble is prophesied to die.
- Rogue Imp: Kill an Imp that has been annoying some nobles.
- Banish Daedra: It is time to banish a Daedra.
 Temples and Templar Orders
All quests for the Temples.
- The Healing: Find a cure for a deathly ill person.
- The Spook: Perform an exorcism at a haunted house in the region.
- The Stolen Item: Find and retrieve a religious item stolen from a temple.
- An Errand: Deliver a religious item to a priestess in a nearby town.
- The Haunted House: Perform an exorcism at a haunted house in the region.
- The Heretic: Take care of a heretic.
- The Obsessed Child: Assist in the exorcism of an obviously obsessed child.
- The Missing Scholar: Find a cleric who has gone missing in a local dungeon.
- The Insane Priest: Find a priest on a rampage in a local dungeon and bring him back.
- Hunt for Undead: Find and kill an undead in a local dungeon.
- The Cursed Weapon: Deliver a cursed weapon wanted by the orcs to a cleric in a local dungeon.
- The Expiatory Sacrifice: Collect an ingredient from a local dungeon.
- A Delivery: Deliver an item to a character in a nearby town.
- The Relic: Retrieve a sacred relic guarded by a lich.
- The Rite of Atonement: Collect an ingredient from a local dungeon.
- The Great Evil: Find and retrieve an object of great evil from a local dungeon.
 Temple Specific Quests
- The Price of Knowledge: Kill a nightblade who has stolen knowledge from the School of Julianos.
- Avenge the Dragons: Kill a member of the Order of the Hour who has attacked the holy dragons of the Akatosh Chantry.
- The Desecrated Temple: Kill a lycanthrope that desecrated a sanctuary of the Temple of Arkay.
- Desired Artwork: Deliver some prized artwork for the House of Dibella.
- The Arm of Fury: Kill a traitor to the Kynaran Order.
- A Powerful Spirit: Lay to rest the spirit haunting a sanctuary of the Benevolence of Mara.
- A Special Plant: Pick up a plant for a healer of the Temple of Stendarr.
- The Bounty: Hunt down a highwayman who ransacked a caravan of the Resolution of Zenithar.
 Thieves Guild
All quests for the Thieves Guild.
- The Qualifying Examination: The qualifying examination for the Thieves Guild.
- A Hot Stone: Pick up a stolen gem from a guild member in a local town.
- Antique Ivory: Steal some antique ivory from a residence in town.
- Drugs Delivery: Deliver a package containing drugs to a local in town.
- Arms Supply: Deliver a weapon to a guild member in a local town.
- A Stolen Gem: Pick up a stolen gem from a guild member in a local town.
- A Temple Visit: Steal a religious item from a regional temple.
- Valuable Artwork: Steal a painting from a residence in a local town.
- The Jewel Heist: Steal some jewelry from a residence in a local town.
- The Noble's Jewelry: Steal some jewelry from a palace.
- A Prized Item: Steal a magic item from a residence in a local town.
- Valuable Pages: Steal a valuable book from a building in a local town.
- A Prized Herb: Steal a special herb from a residence in a local town.
- The Rich Merchant: Shake down a rich merchant for a shipment of his belongings.
- A Treasured Potion: Steal a special potion from an alchemist's store in a local town.
 Merchants and Innkeepers
You can be assigned these quests by any NPCs in guildhalls, temples, taverns, etc. However, the chances of getting them from merchants and innkeepers is much higher. When you ask for work in town, you will be eventually pointed to a NPC that offers you one of these quests. Upon completing (or failing) these quest, you gain (or lose) reputation with the faction to which the questgiver belongs, which may not necessarily be The Merchants faction. For example, if a member of the Mages Guild gives you one of these quests, you will gain/lose reputation with the Mages Guild and its associated factions. To get one of these quest from any questgiver of a faction click the Talk button immediately after you have reported back for a successful quest.
- The Postman: Deliver a compromising letter.
- An Unexpected Journey: Beware of a trap laid out for you.
- The Exterminator: Clear a local residence of bugs.
- The Assassin: Kill a former member of the Dark Brotherhood.
- The Duel: React to a provocation.
- The Cure: Find a cure for a deathly ill person.
- The First Printing: Find and return a rare book.
- The Delivery Boy: Deliver a package to a person living in town.
- The Courier: Deliver a package to a person in a nearby town.
- Missing Person Case: Find the whereabouts of a missing person.
- The Escort: A person is in desperate need of an escort.
- The Bodyguard: Provide personal security for a person.
- The Riddle: Find the answer to a riddle.
- An Unexpected Journey Part II: Beware once again of a trap laid out for you.
- The Birthday Present: Obtain a birthday present for the sister of a local character.
- Defamation: Investigate the rumors being spread about a local character.
- The Impostor: You are promised Chrysamere if you complete a supposedly simple task.
- The Abducted Child: Rescue a child kidnapped by the Dark Brotherhood.
- The Matchmaker: Help a couple get married, against all odds.
- The Mummy's Finger: Get rid of a vicious curse.
- An Object Lesson: "Liberate" a magical item from a store.
- Counterfeit Gold: Retrieve some false gold.
- Smuggling: Smuggle some contraband to a local town.
- Two Cowards: Fight a duel as a substitute for a coward.
- The Lost Child: Find a missing child.
- A Mix-Up: Dispel false accusations of theft by finding the true culprit.
- The Ransom: Ransom a person, kidnapped by the Thieves Guild.
- A Rare Book: Find and retrieve a rare book from a local dungeon.
- The Recompense: Capture the former business partner of a local character.
- To Assist the Fate: Make sure a cheating lover gets what she deserves.
- Background Information: Receive some background information concerning the storm.
- The Harpies' Nest: Clear a local dungeon of harpies, and possibly rescue a mercenary.
- A Noble's Debts: A noble has disappeared along with a major fortune.
You can get these quests from some (but not all) royals and all nobles, as long as your reputation with the noble is sufficiently high. Specifically, only the following people offer Nobles Quests: Akorithi, Barenziah, Charvek-si, Eadwyre, Gothryd, Greklith, Lady Bridwell, Lady Northbridge, Lord Bridwell, Lord Darkworth, Lord K'avar, Lord Provlith, Lord Vhosek, Mobar and Mynisera.
The remaining nobles, that are in one or another way affiliated to the Main Quest, including Cyndassa, can also offer you these quest, but not until the Main Quest Start-Up is completed. However with an unpatched questfile, this will never be the case, since the Main Quest Start-Up will never end.
- Jewel Smuggling: Deliver a gem to a character in a local town.
- Contraband Trade: Deliver a ruby to a character in a local town.
- Gold Smuggling: Deliver some gold to a character in a local town.
- The Evil Wizard: Find and kill an evil wizard in a local dungeon.
- Deadly Diplomacy: Kill a monster in a local dungeon to strengthen the bond between a noble and its ally.
- The Heirloom: Retrieve an heirloom stolen by a band of orcs.
- Theft from a Temple: Find and retrieve an item sold to a local temple.
- The Procurer: Pick up some jewelry of dubious origin.
- Weapon Supply: Deliver a weapon to an agent of a noble.
- Contraband Goods: Deliver some contraband for a noble.
- Smuggled Goods: Deliver some contraband to a noble's associate.
- A Peace Offering: Deliver some jewelry for a noble.
- Forgotten Equipment: Deliver a magical item to a noble's associate.
- The Fourth Man: Act as delivery boy for a noble.
- A Special Substance: Deliver some drugs to a noble's friend.
- An Item on Loan: Return a loaned item for a noble.
- A Rare Ingredient: Pick up a rare ingredient for a noble.
- The Temple of the Orcs: Find and kill an orc shaman in a local dungeon.
- The Heartless Daedra: Deliver the heart of a Daedra to a local alchemist.
- Espionage Equipment: Deliver a telescope to a noble's spy, get further instruction from the spy afterwards.
- The Emperor's Gift: Ransom a ring pawned by a noble.
- The Mad Ripper
- The Mad Butcher: Hunt down a murderer known as The Mad Butcher.
- The Mad Slayer: Hunt down a murderer known as The Mad Slayer.
- The Lost Sapphire: Retrieve a sapphire for a noble's ally.
- Business with Orcs: Deliver an orcish item stolen from Orsinium to a noble's contact.
- The Thieves Gang: Exchange a gold brick for a magical item — although some thieves have other plans.
- The Daedric Book: Deliver a rare book to a noble's contact — although some daedra want to take it from you.
- Business with Vampires: Deliver a holy item to a noble's contact — although some vampires also want the item.
All quests for the Witch Covens.
- The Libel: Retrieve a document for one of the witch covens.
- Public Relation: Escort a child back home.
- A Special Mixture: Deliver a special potion to a local Mages Guild.
- Problems with Vampires: Slay a Vampire Ancient for a witch coven.
- The Imprisoned Witch: Free and rescue an imprisoned witch.
- A Rare Tome: Obtain a rare tome for a witch coven.
- A Treacherous Gift: Deliver a treacherous gift to a character in a local town.
- A Great Errand: Collect some ingredients from three local dungeons.
- An Expensive Purchase: Buy a magic item for a witch coven from a character in a local town.
- The Daedra's Heart: Retrieve the heart of a Daedra living in a local dungeon.
 Vampire Clans
These are the quests for a vampire character. One can get any of these quest after the player turned into a vampire. All quest are given to the player via a letter. One can get these quests randomly from time to time, apparently one quest per month.
- The Rite of Acceptance: Kill a member of a lesser bloodline to prove your allegiance to your vampire clan.
- The Vampire's Letter: Deliver a letter on behalf of your vampire bloodline.
- Territorial Battles: Dispose a vampire ancient from a rival bloodline.
- An Old Enemy: Dispose of a vampire spawn of your own.
- Deadly Knowledge: Obtain the researches of a sorcerer on vampirism.
- The Vampire Relic: Obtain a vampire relic from a local Mages Guild.
- Intimidation: Persuade a local warlord to become an ally for your bloodline.
- A Test of Determination: Confront a Daedra in the local dungeon where it lives.
- The Chaperone: Escort a vampire NPC to another vampire NPC, who is waiting in a nearby town.
- The Vanguard: In preparation for a planned vampire gathering, clear a local dungeon of lycanthropes.
 Daedric Quests
All quests for the Princes of Oblivion.
- Azura's Quest: Kill a priest for the mistress of dawn and dusk.
- Boethiah's Quest: Kill a spellsword for the Daedric prince Boethiah.
- Clavicus Vile's Quest: Slay a werewolf for Clavicus Vile.
- Hermaeus Mora's Quest: Execute a noble for the Daedric prince of wisdom and knowledge, Hermaeus Mora.
- Hircine's Quest: Hunt down a wereboar for Daedra prince Hircine.
- Malacath's Quest: Execute a Daedra Seducer for Malacath.
- Mehrunes Dagon's Quest: Exterminate a Frost Daedra for Mehrunes Dagon, the Daedric prince of destruction.
- Mephala's Quest: Assassinate a noble for Daedra prince Lady Mephala.
- Meridia's Quest: Kill a spellcaster for the Daedric Lady Meridia.
- Molag Bal's Quest: Slay a spellcaster who has attracted the wrath of Molag Bal.
- Namira's Quest: Destroy a Vampire Ancient for Lady Namira.
- Nocturnal's Quest: Take care of a malicious spellcaster for Lady Nocturnal the mistress of the Night.
- Peryite's Quest: Dispose of a vampire ancient for the Daedric prince Peryite.
- Sanguine's Quest: Rid the Daedric Prince Sanguine of a turbulent priest.
- Sheogorath's Quest: The Daedric prince of Madness wants you to invite a battlemage to tea with him.
- Vaernima's Quest: Dispel a lich that has displeased Lady Vaernima.
 Quest Bodies
Five "quest bodies" can be found among the totality of quests. These "bodies" consist of either a single quest-binary file or a single quest-text file. In any case, these quests can not be played. Sometimes one of these quest is selected according to the rules that are applied when giving quests to the player's character. However since the corresponding quest-file is missing, the game can not proceed to start the quest, which will result in a stalling game, which can only be eliminated with a restart of DOS-Box or a reboot under a DOS-OS.
Following quest bodies exist:
- 80C00Y00 (binary-file) -- an alternative Malacath-Quest, obviously it contains the same data as the standard quest.
- A0C00Y04 (binary-file) -- contains the same data as the Impostor quest.
- M0B40Y04 (text-file) -- contains the same quest-text as the Fighters Lich quest.
- N0C00Y01 (binary-file) -- contains the data of an unfinished Banish Daedra quest for non-members of the Mages Guild.
- R0C40Y23 (binary-file) -- contains the same data as the Daedric Book quest and has also the wrong location for the Skeffington Coven.